How would you like to see forum/IRC moderation change?
Sorry, but some of you guys are so far off from what is taking place in reality.

Please name me one case, maybe apart from sophisticated technology, in that excessive sets of rules have successfully made things clearer or more transparent to everyone involved. A place to talk and discuss shouldn't need more than let's say 5 rules everybody has to agree on. The rest should be what I call common sense really and that point-warning-system is nothing but a gimmick with no educational effect in that respect. In fact, this particular system and those suggested group decisions for minor ongoings is only going to over complicate naturally simple things.

Take a look at the VAT act of your own country and try to figure out how it works and how you have to behave as a company in order to always obey each given rule completely. I tell you in Germany there are only few that can claim to be fully aware of all the details and all bilateral implications and so on. The point is, it is not that complicated when you look at the core ideas and structure. It has evolved to that huge monster of bureaucracy because of jerks that try to circumvent this regulation to their own profit and each edgy case that has come up had to be regarded eventually.

Now some start to ask for the exact same thing to happen here and seem to even believe that this would guarantee no more injustice is going to take place. In reality this is only going to confuse a lot of people, leave moderators with less actual power to moderate and open up playground for the smart jerks that of course will expand any given rule to their own advantage, like they are already doing btw.
Keep it simple, keep it clean and always judge difficult situations regarding it's impact on the game and its prosperity.

See, there is no rule that is going to change someone who only shows up to cause havoc. The need to put pressure on someone in order to make him behave is when things are gone wrong already. This should not be a regular case. In a mature environment you will occasionally have to call back someone who's gone a little overboard in a heated discussion and he might even apologize rather quickly. That trollfest that has been going on in here for years now is just insane. Really, this is not funny at all. The only way to counter such behaviour is getting rid of those individuals entirely and this is not a matter of freedom or democracy. Its about maintaining the purpose and use of that forum.

This forum isn't facebook or some other chatterbox meeting room. It is a place with a defined purpose. Namely to talk about a video game and therefore of course it is to be expected that at least 95% of the ongoing discussion would revolve around exactly this and not that countless flamewars and nonsense at the off-topic section.

At the moment we have more talking going on on this forum about how it should be moderated than actually making use of the forum. It's ridiculous. This forum seems only to exist to discuss itself. This is like Magnus Mills' Scheme of Full Employment.

I already can here all that yelling at me from particular people, but this what I'm always have about in here. The game. We can reasonably discuss about my wishes and positions about how the game should be develop, but I'm not going to argue my intelligence or honesty.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: How would you like to see forum/IRC moderation change? - by Mr.Floppy - 28 May 15, 09:52AM