[split] an essay about AC development
(19 May 14, 10:33PM)SrPER$IAN Wrote: I totally agree with your wise idea about the bus factor issue. Now with the current structure of the developer's team, there is a question "what will happen to the game if a bus hits Aerk(if he leaves the developing team alone)?".

Absolutely nothing. He's already non-existent.

(19 May 14, 10:33PM)SrPER$IAN Wrote: True, it's always good to have active members. But maybe firstly we should find an answer to the question that why most of the active developers become inactive or leave the team after a while. Are they lazy or what? I would reply "definitely not".

I would say yes. If they weren't, things would be moving a lot faster.

(19 May 14, 10:33PM)SrPER$IAN Wrote: Since you have been contributed the game some coding, you must be familiar with the current process of the developing team, in which as a developer each member faces to lots of undone tasks and he has to handle most of them all alone and all for FREE. It is very predictable that most people decide to leave after a while and most probably everytime 80% of the works are done by two members only, who really care about the game and dedicate their life to it (and usually leave the team after they finish with the next version release because of all the pressure).

What two persons are you talking about? The only one working on the game right now is stef, literally (ok, grenadier is working on some bits of AC from time to time, but he's not a "developer"). The other two are doing maintenance work, like banning cheats.

So far, what I've seen is people going off on a tangent, rarely (properly) finishing what they've started. While, it prevents one from getting sick of working on AC, most of the work they've done was on svn trunk. You can thank them for a nice list of no servers.

(19 May 14, 10:33PM)SrPER$IAN Wrote: As a solution in the proposed structure, two main goals have been followed: 1- Increasing the efficiency of each developer by focusing on his main job.

That won't work. You'll just increase down time, people will end up waiting for each other in some cases, or at least they would, if AC had more than one active dev.

(19 May 14, 10:33PM)SrPER$IAN Wrote: 2 - Splitting each task to small packages as much as possible and assigning them to more people so it won't cause them to burn out or get bored of doing huge job after a while.

Soo, do you want N people to do one feature? Because that's how you get failure.

If you want to do something, hop over to AC's issue tracker on GitHub and see what you can do to help. Or at least log issues, that would help, too.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] an essay about AC development - by SKB - 21 May 14, 06:59PM