About AC development (part 2)...
1: what do you think about that? should nade pickups be in pairs again, should nade carry capability be "2" again, should armour be single-strength again?

The nades were different in the past, you could only carry two nades, but the nade spawn pickup timing was 5 instead of 8 seconds, and two grenades instead of a single one. The nades are better than in 1.0, I remember back in the day, spamming nades as hell and abusing of it on ac_depot like if it was an exploit. The huge amount of nade was allowing to an average player, not very smart and skilled to contains good players on some maps, just by trowing nades and provocating a lucky hit. Because the nade rate was nerfed a lot, devs compensated it with the ability to handle 3 nades on you, 4 if you hold one in your hand and start to trow it when you walk on another nade pickup. But because of the slower spawn rate of nades, this is not a significant issue, or at least, if there is something to fix, it's on the mapping side, a few maps should be edited (I'm thinking about ac_arid and a few official maps filled with nade pickups) but not the whole nade system. The armor seems to be good, the only negative point is that you can't die if you are at 100/100 with a perfect grenade, but it's a detail.

2. do you take the time after respawn to fill up nades and armour?

It all depends of a lot of factors. If I am in match/inter, I will take the most adapted decision, if I must cover my mate who comes back with the enemy flag, i'll not take a single pickup, or maybe a grenade because I know the map well enough to know when and where the opponent(s) will cut the flagger line exactly. If not, mostly in public games I try to take all rare and semi-rare pickups (helmets/kevlars/akimbo) even if I don't need them because all I have, opponents don't. A lot of helmets/grenades are on the path, I think we can conclude they are not well placed, but sometimes, mappers don't have the choice.

3. what do you think about the frag reduction of nade kills from "2" in 1.0 to "1" now?

I was a strong nade player in 1.0 and the frag reduction kinda reduced my scores at start, but now I'm used to and I thing it was a good change because the gib is not something that requieres a lot of skill or a lot of luck to obtein, so that it doesn't deserve 2 kills IMO.

4. are helmets of any use or are they just pacman fodder?

On some maps, helmets are overpowered because if their number, it has been discussed a few times, I don't know if it was on this forum... I think we conclued a lot of maps were not providing enough helmets to constitute something solid enough because it was countering especially SMG's and carabines in 1.1, and it was kinda rare weapons, almost inexistant. It's all about maps and helmet's placement.

5. what do you think about trickjumping?

It's a glitch exploit and it should be "fixed".

6. what's your favourite weapon? did you consider the nade to be a possible primary weapon in 1.0?

I'd say the weapon I enjoy the most is the Carabine, but you need a really good accuracy, plus it's most of the time not enough to have a decent score or to score flags. This weapon is almost rewardless in most of the situations because it's not as polyvalent as the sniper or the smg.

7. do you use cubescript to customise your client? do you write the scripts yourself, or do you get them from someone else?

The only script I'm using is a one line script that corrects my gamma because of an unknow bug that set my gamma to 100, even if it's at 180 or whatever in AC settings. I shared this script and it was very helpfull to a lot of people that apparently had the same issue than me.

8. should servers provide a diversity of maps and modes - or do you prefer single-mode servers?

There are different types of servers, I remember Brett's server with only fun/small maps and a maxclient set to 7 for FFA modes only. Ladder maps should only provide maps known by the community, not especially official ones, but decent map enough to be played in a ladder (and this is the case). But I prefer, as a lot of people, CTF, and maybe HTF/KTF, but those two last modes are not very funny in public games because this often conclude in a total mess, people who should hold/hunt the flag don't even know the basic rules of the mode, they just kill opponents and if they see enemy's flag on the ground, they run on it and reset it just because they don't know a teammate must hold his own team's flag. It's also funny to see people running everywhere with a yellow flag, in a total panic because of the music.

9. what do you think about gema servers and servers running camper 24/7?

As long as they show it in the server name, it's ok.

10. a more technical question: would you care, if servers could only be hosted on linux machines?

Isn't it already the case for most of the servers? I think it would be bad because there are a lot of small servers hosted on computers players are playing on, and a lot of them have windows. I know there are enough servers ATM, but having a temporary small private servers for a coop cession has no price.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
About AC development (part 2)... - by stef - 09 May 14, 05:34PM
RE: About AC development (part 2)... - by MPx - 10 May 14, 02:19AM
RE: About AC development (part 2)... - by ExodusS - 10 May 14, 02:21AM
RE: About AC development (part 2)... - by XFA - 10 May 14, 05:19AM
RE: About AC development (part 2)... - by stef - 10 May 14, 09:42AM
RE: About AC development (part 2)... - by Jg99 - 11 May 14, 06:16AM
RE: About AC development (part 2)... - by jamz - 12 May 14, 07:56PM