Any Physicists or Electricians here?
Don't dick around with capacitors. There's a reason you don't open CRTs unless you know what you're doing.

Vcurrent=Vintial(e^(-t/tConstant));

When you say "shocked", you mean that you can feel the current running through your body. I believe you can start feeling it in the 3mA range, but I'd have to look that up again.

Remember Ohm's law: V=iZ, or in this case, the one you're interested in can be rewritten as i=V/Z.

The resistance from your hand to the ground and from the ground back up through the air into the other terminal is very, very big. It can be modeled with an open circuit. Hence, it is "safe" to touch. On the other hand, if the energy stored in the capacitor is great enough so that even with that big resistance, there is NOT a negligible amount of current, you will get shocked.

I really don't want to answer your crocodile clip example because I don't have my EM textbook on me... I want to give the same example, but let's just say rubber or whatever it's made of doesn't conduct electricity as well.

Another piece of advice, if you're going to do something stupid (please don't), do it with one hand, and not two. Two hands puts the circuit through your heart. You die. One hand, you'll get injured but hopefully won't die.

Finally, capacitors explode. Electrolytic ones will send shrapnel EVERYWHERE, hurting you and everyone around you. Always double check polarity.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any Physicists or Electricians here? - by Mousikos - 16 Feb 14, 10:40PM