Assaultcube developpement? AC is it dead?
Hi Deathstar,

as far as I know there is no active development at the moment and I'm afraid there's nobody around to take up on things again and continue working on the code base. However, seems most of the community is gathering somewhere in Discord, so I may have missed out on what might be happening behind the curtains.

I don't know when you left the game, but it has become pretty popular at some point and unfortunately that's when things went downhill. The 0.93 spirit suddenly was gone, there were too many players with too many different ideas in which direction the game should be taken. The veterans, including me, tried to preserve the original concept of the game and when the situation got more and more heated and personal, a lot of good people who have contributed tons to the game in the past left, responsibilities changed hands rather frequently and eventually some bad decisions where made.

The map restrictions were implemented in order to reinstall a certain quality and style of maps. By the time that idea came up AC saw some of the worst custom maps ever made, rotating 24/7 on most servers. You would search hard for private matches in order to experience a proper round of AC those days. On the other side of the discussion people argued, that if those maps are that popular, why not follow the trend. So the question was, let things happen and watch AC become a silly fool's party, or trying to get rid off of the weirdest crap and somewhat forcing people into taking AC's core gameplay more seriously. Well, a lot of people didn't like being forced and left for Minecraft and other games.

Personally, I still enjoy AC a lot and really hoped to see the new version stef had been working on to be released.

However, at the moment I don't see things to be changed for the better. The latest Windows and Nvidia updates already start fucking with my installation, causing the game to perform terribly and functions like /gamma aren't supported anymore. I'll try and find out what I can do about that, but when AC won't run out of the box on modern machines anymore, I'm afraid the game will die off rather quickly.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Assaultcube developpement? AC is it dead? - by Mr.Floppy - 02 Apr 20, 10:10AM