Maps You've always wanted to see be made official
Well, this thread has gone quite beyond its intended scope. Maybe another thread (splitting this one?) would be appropriate.

I understand why some mappers ask for more control over client graphic settings and such, since it might open opportunities to circumvent some of the given limits. Though, as I have said already, it is not acceptable to allow mappers to change the users' personal settings in first place. Those methods are most likely going to make things less stable, because no mapper will be able to foresee the actual outcome on all those various clients. After all it's the mappers' job to deal with this boundaries, at least that's my opinion.

Secondly, and particularly regarding water and shadows: As long as we stick with the cube 1 engine, there is little that can be done to enhance the effects without 'reinventing the wheel' and at some point this sort of creativity/freedom some are aiming at, is going to end up in working 'against' the engine. This does happen already.
The only feature I can think of which could be implemented rather easily and would bring great benefit are negative light entities, which then will be effectively shadow entities. There has been a mod around quite some time ago.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Maps You've always wanted to see be made official - by Mr.Floppy - 08 May 15, 09:31AM