New (correctly) hitfixed matchservers
(20 Dec 14, 12:11PM)Luc@s Wrote: its a matter of reliability, and you know it...
sharing resources is worse than not sharing for this reason.

I've never played on a server which has been bad because it was hosted on a VPS. I've even played on some home-hosted servers which are pretty good (ac-fraglog is homehosted on a 100mb/s connection or something and it's perfectly playable).

I can see this going on forever, so I'm just gonna summarise everything:

I know my way around AC servers and how to host them properly, but it should probably be openly stated that I'm not a server hoster first and foremost, so I don't really care about all this technical wankery or specifications bragging (even though I did it in an earlier post). Having been someone who's played AssaultCube in as close to the definition of the word "competitively" you can get in this game for about two years now, I simply wanted to create a server which creates a good playing experience. This means two things: stability and good hit registration. I've heard no complaints about either from anybody (except your initial comment where you stated you got 90ms, although as you stated in a later post the ISP's connection is probably more influential there).
I wouldn't use a dedicated server if you gave me one for free, because it's simply not necessary for the scale of what I'm doing. And I could have easily chosen another location, but decided not to.

Also, I'm not forcing anybody to play on these servers. While I would do so by choice since I believe they are amongst the best in terms of quality in the game (the only other two servers where I hit as well are gibbed.me + se.aox), I appreciate that everyone's gonna have different server preferences, which is just completely normal. It would be simply retarded for either of us to suggest that any server is the best for everybody, I'm not claiming that se-rc is and aura's certainly not either.

I feel like further discussion on this is gonna be pointless, people have had enough time to read/reply to this topic if they want to do so and if someone wants an admin pw/whitelist/etc they know who they need to contact, so could this thread be closed before it turns into a bunch of useless posts? dankeschon mods
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: New (correctly) hitfixed matchservers - by Vanquish - 20 Dec 14, 12:27PM