The AC 1.1 cheat detection policy and the AC 1.0 cases
Some background

AC has a big problem with cheats (mainly because of its open source nature). If you enter in the servers, you can find people speedhacking, teleporting, aimboting, and all sort of nasty things.

The blacklist thread exists to report and block the OBVIOUS and ANNOYING cases.
But since the beginnings of the AC 1.0, it has also been used as a POLITICAL tool.
Some clans, mainly w00p and DES, actively "hunted" discrete (non obvious) cheaters and posted them in the blacklist thread with the support of a "core elite".

I came to this community to criticize the blacklist and its low effectiveness to really block obvious cheaters from dynamic ip ranges (a common scenario in Brazil). And facing the lack of support to change the current blacklist system, and also interested in modding the code, I started to code anticheats.

I first coded a speedhack detector, and accused a "known" community member (in that time, oNe|MysTeR) of cheating.
Since the oNe clan was not part of the core elite, suddenly I found myself receiving support from the "nice guys" of the community. These "nice guys" did everything to strike oNe, and I was the fool with torch in hands who was leading these villagers.

I am sorry Mael. You are really important to this community (you as well, mosschops).

Suddenly, everyday, I was receiving demos to watch and analyze (obviously, no demo from the "core elite"). The fact is, quickly I enhanced my tools, I detected many discrete cheaters, I received community support for the majority of them, and at each new blacklist report, a new flame war to prove the hack.

It became very obvious that the cheaters were learning from that incidents and the it was necessary to "hide" the tools. And the "core elite" supported this, as far as I kept showing and explaining the proofs to them. In fact, they were not accepting the proof I found - ignoring the evidence I collected - as far as they were agreed on some guy cheating (emotionally or by "instinct").

The beginning of the end of my "puppet stage" was when A&D_Davitomon was caught cheating... and I refused to blacklist him. He was not detected with my tools (so, I would not waste time proving that), and I was sure that the "core elite", which Davi was part, would strike me if I had gone on to blacklist one of its "nice guys". So, I let this job to DES.

In fact I knew all this was "political" bullshit, and I wasting time... because the discrete cheaters are quite well accepted in the overall community (this is the big source of hypocrisy here), and the main problem was never them, but the OBVIOUS cases.

One day I entered in the bl thread, and ANGRA|Panico and A&D_Shadow were struggling. I watched the demo, and Panico was a cheater for sure.
The "core elite" celebrated. It has been a long standing goal for w00p and DES to see ANGRA out of the game. And without Davi to defend them, this finally became reality.

But part of the community was feeling this was not right. Where was the proof? Well... I presented it to the nice guys, and they said: "This is ok by me Brahma. Keep up the good work". But in fact I felt it was very unfair towards ANGRA.

Hell... I came to the community to help auto kick the obvious cheaters... but I was just removing the discrete ones who were not friends of Drakas or tipper.
Not only this, obviously. The oNe|Wolf's incident proved it. As it's useless to blacklist someone, because they would just continue to play the game.

So, I decided to end this watching/analyzing demos waste of time... But in a last effort I got myself the demos from the TyD tournament for analyzing. The "core elite" was bugging me that Coxa and Sacer were using cheats. Well... I watched the demos and concluded that they were clean in there... but I also concluded that w00p|LiFe and BC|Seperh were aimboting.

This was the end of my "long" friendship with the "community nice guys".

My stats at that moment: I was full of pressure. I was the dev who was building the bridge between the development and the community, reading their requests and passing them to the other devs. I finally started to work on AC-1.1 with the support of flowtron and makke, and I was working on the Central Blacklist and a new Masterserver (one month of work which eihrul turned into dust in a matter of hours, committing a far better thing).

No member of the "core elite" had any interest in information about the Central Blacklist or the new Masterserver... but they started a flamewar about the latest cheat detections. Behind the curtains, in the hidden forum (which the common members of this community had no access to), I struggled for days. There were dozens of posts and graphs and ongoing discussion, which became a big ball of ****.

DrunkenM letf the game.
Drakas revealed himself to have double standards.
And nothing was as before.

My position towards the previous cheats
1) I do not care if someone cheated or not in the past.

2) I have no power to forbid someone of playing this game, so do not ask me if "Did you unban that guy?" or if "Could you, please, block that guy?"

3) I will not watch demos anymore;

4) I will not discuss the past incidents;

What will happen in the AC1.1
1) The server's closed bins will have anticheat implemented, but no autokick.. the server will discretely disrupt the benefits of the cheaters;

2) If a new cheat appears that the server does not detect, we will release an update;

3) The blacklist thread shall only be used for the OBVIOUS cases - this means you need to provide the demo and the specific scenes (time-index) the person is cheating. Do not waste your time with the discrete ones - expect the server to auto block them.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
The AC 1.1 cheat detection policy and the AC 1.0 cases - by Brahma - 20 Jun 10, 07:03PM
RE: The AC 1.1 cheat detection policy and the AC 1.0 cases - by Dark_Alex101 - 30 Sep 10, 02:05AM