Windows 7/Vista
I'm thinking about all of the versions of Windows out there, and I have to say that so far 7 has been the best. XP was the best, but it became outdated in 2014. I'm thinking of downgrading from 7 to Vista for no reason. Is there any reason why I shouldn't? I feel some strange urge to buy a Vista CD from a second hand retailer and slap it on my laptop.
Thanks given by:
This may or may not be a reason:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle
Thanks given by: ZS/Horse
It ends next year. So what? Maybe 10 won't suck by then.
Thanks given by:
I don't generally use Windows if I don't have to, so I guess if you prefer Vista then use it.

But you might also ask yourself what the reason for using Vista would be?
Thanks given by:
why not try a linux/windows variant. Zorin OS.
It has the choice of most of the windows frontends and infact its very polished. But maintains the linux speed and agility to structure to your requirements. Ei media, scientific, games etc.
Whats more its packed with eye candy using the Stardock type system, which of course is optional.

I tried it recently and found it to be fast and perhaps one of the best linux distros to move away from windows without loosing the feel of your normal windows feel safe.

Also it does not seem to generate over clocking and nuclear heat from some of my lappies. I have tried it on two 64bit and 32bit. My 32 done ok, but there again I never used the 3D windows swapper etc.
Thanks given by:
Use Windows 10 and classic shell. I happen to really like Windows 7 and it wasn't long ago I was a hardcore Linux (Crunchbang mostly) user, and hated Windows after Xp. Things change I guess. I still hate the "tiles" and "apps" thing on Windows 10, but it doesn't affect usability for me, especially with classic shell installed.

Vista is one of the worst if not THE worst Windows versions.

[Image: 16jh9xy.png]
Thanks given by:
Strange you say that Boomy, I always thought the same that vista looks like washed out wallpaper. Xd

I wonder really if Microsoft could ever realise there is a market for people who want to choose their own build. Lets face it half the stuff they throw on you, you will never use.
But imagine if you could have a micro Windows built to your specifics. A bit like puppy linux. There's a market there if they wake up and smell the coffee. Why on earth do we have to have so much installed into memory just to get windows up and running defeats me.
Actually I might look at that this weekend to see what apps and drivers that are loaded that you do not need.
Thanks given by:
(12 Feb 16, 06:09PM)vector Wrote: ...I wonder really if Microsoft could ever realise there is a market for people who want to choose their own build....

Yeah I've been thinking the same about Android infected with all the proprietary locked boot-loaders and pre-installed Google bloat-ware. I hate Google like SOOOO much. Fuck Verizon, AT&T, AND GOOGLE. I spend so much time unlocking boot-loaders and wiping/customizing what should be a perfectly good $700 phone. Makes me sick people pay so much for something and providers tell them how they have to use it. Like selling someone a skateboard and telling them "no ollies!" Simply ludicrous. My warranty, if I want to say fuck the warranty, I should be able to do that!

Oh? I can't make Hangouts have a black background and something other than baby-shit green for the border?
I can't delete the "NFL Mobile" app because you say it belongs on my phone, even though I would rather do a handstand and shit than watch an American Football game?
I can't have root access to my phone to delete what I want and change what I want?
Oh, yeah sure I want Google to automatically upload every picture I ever had on my phone onto a cloud server online. Yeah, don't worry about those sexy pics of my gf, I don't care if you wank to those Mr. Google, that's cool.
Hey, while you're at it, make every app able to access all my contacts, media, and personal identification info that I work so hard to protect with passwords... because screw it! I trust you and EVERY SINGLE ONE of your 20,000 employees with my privacy and security!
What's next? You gonna buy Youtube and change everything to connect to my Google accounts because you have a monopoly on everything virtual?
Oh yeah, YOU DID THAT TOO.

*off topic rant, soz
Thanks given by:
(13 Feb 16, 12:51AM)Boomhauer Wrote:
(12 Feb 16, 06:09PM)vector Wrote: ...I wonder really if Microsoft could ever realise there is a market for people who want to choose their own build....

Yeah I've been thinking the same about Android infected with all the proprietary locked boot-loaders and pre-installed Google bloat-ware. I hate Google like SOOOO much. Fuck Verizon, AT&T, AND GOOGLE. I spend so much time unlocking boot-loaders and wiping/customizing what should be a perfectly good $700 phone. Makes me sick people pay so much for something and providers tell them how they have to use it. Like selling someone a skateboard and telling them "no ollies!" Simply ludicrous. My warranty, if I want to say fuck the warranty, I should be able to do that!

Oh? I can't make Hangouts have a black background and something other than baby-shit green for the border?
I can't delete the "NFL Mobile" app because you say it belongs on my phone, even though I would rather do a handstand and shit than watch an American Football game?
I can't have root access to my phone to delete what I want and change what I want?
Oh, yeah sure I want Google to automatically upload every picture I ever had on my phone onto a cloud server online. Yeah, don't worry about those sexy pics of my gf, I don't care if you wank to those Mr. Google, that's cool.
Hey, while you're at it, make every app able to access all my contacts, media, and personal identification info that I work so hard to protect with passwords... because screw it! I trust you and EVERY SINGLE ONE of your 20,000 employees with my privacy and security!
What's next? You gonna buy Youtube and change everything to connect to my Google accounts because you have a monopoly on everything virtual?
Oh yeah, YOU DID THAT TOO.

*off topic rant, soz
Well, this is the offtopic forum, so whatever.

I generally use Ubuntu with GNOME instead of Unity as my main Linux distro. I have built on DSL (Damn Small Linux) before, but couldn't quite get what i wanted out of it. ClassicShell is still too square, I like the soft edges that Vista brought, and then 7 refined. Vista was like XP and 7 had a malformed, half-retarded child and dropped it on its head about 20 times. I don't use Google Play stuff unless its required by an app. I use BlackMart. Most non-google apps don't care. Google Play Services really bogs down my phone, even when using Cyanogenmod or AOSP stuff like SlimBean, SlimKat, or CarbonROM, so I started cooking my own. It hasn't taken off yet, but I'm hoping it does. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S Blaze with NOOBRom 4.4.4, based off of AOSP+Cyanogenmod with a stock clock of 1.9GHz instead of 1.5. All of the Cyanogen features you want, without the ones you don't need. It comes with ES File Explorer, Link2SD, and Kernel Tuner as well as a CM theme right off the bat. All of the Google bullshit you can find in PA GApps.
Thanks given by:
? are you trying to sell me a phone or pension. FFS so in Ac we are now andorid experts............... I will have to clock onto my SDk and make sure my mother in law has her knicker on then.

But boomy is right......... How come they sell you phone .......lock you down to tarriff network...........worse you then have android using your air time to sell you updates and adds you dont want.

Sounds like microsoft xd

Oh btw ZS donkey..

its nice in this forum if you say hello properly and tell us about you self before you rant. xd
Thanks given by:
(13 Feb 16, 02:24AM)vector Wrote: Oh btw ZS donkey..
its nice in this forum if you say hello properly and tell us about you self before you rant. xd
That's Horse to you.

I am by no means an android expert, but the Blaze's bootloader is unlocked and the S3's isn't. They both have the same processor, but the s3's GFX chip is a bit better (Adreno 220 versus the s3's Adreno 225). Samsung locked the bootloader in an OTA update. Cooking ROMs is easy once you learn how.
Thanks given by: