Poll: :D
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
awesome
27.27%
3 27.27%
pls no
18.18%
2 18.18%
hmm...
54.55%
6 54.55%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Server without autoteam
<> Bang Splat (waka.waka.ac 2600)

Autoteam is disabled by default and can only be turned on by admin.
Server shuffles teams whenever a new team game starts.

Sauerbraten doesn't have autoteam and the people there can handle it fine because they're mature and care about balance. Let's do the same here.

I and others have long bitched about autoteam ruining all our hard teamwork, so let's try this out and see how it goes.

/shuffleteams is also restricted to admins; use /changeteam, /forceteam, /forceme.
Thanks given by:
Hahahahaha yeah man you got the right idea.
Thanks given by:
Thanks man. I'm not sure how this is going to turn out. I was the 1 in a 5-1 for a little while. It might take time to spread the practice of actively thinking about balance in a game where people are used to having it done for them.

http://waka.ac/change.txt
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 15, 09:10AM)vonuno Wrote: Sauerbraten doesn't have autoteam and the people there can handle it fine because they're mature and care about balance.

haha
Thanks given by:
Oh. Hahahaha. I was wondering why everyone is sauer goes "Balance plz". I figured they were waiting for someone to "/shuffleteams"
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 15, 12:55PM)Luc@s Wrote: haha

Okay, mostly. :>
Thanks given by:
Ah I misunderstood this at first. Basically it removes shuffle and Autobalance. I thought at first you meant only Admins could use the team changing commands.

I think this is a great Idea, however I have tried this before and regular pubs just f2 the votes and expect autoteam to do the work.
We will see though xD
Thanks given by:
The mindset, that "a game has to be perfectly balanced and completely even, and therefore any other result as a draw is a problem" is wrong. Just that. Wrong.

AC, at least AC-pubs, is about fun. To have fun, you don't need to win. As long as you can still spawn and don't get slaughtered immediately, the game is balanced enough. Btw - most of the time, having to battle uphill is more fun than being in a dominating team.

The idea, that the server should switch out players during the game to "balance" it, is just moronic. Calling a vote to shuffle every 50 seconds is just as stupid. You should play for fun, not for stats or ladders.
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 15, 05:39PM)stef Wrote: To have fun, you don't need to win. As long as you can still spawn and don't get slaughtered immediately, the game is balanced enough. Btw - most of the time, having to battle uphill is more fun than being in a dominating team.

yes, spawning, walking out of your base, and then getting rekt by some snipers and some pro SMGs and getting the occasional shotgun splatter for 15 minutes is great fun.

isnt autoteam balancing teams based on flags scored? if it is, it should be based fragwise imo
Thanks given by:
That might be your definition of fun, stef, but that's not everyone's. Some people might not care about winning, some might. Some people enjoy ladders/stats, some don't. Some people might want to be on a winning team, some might not.

Your mindset that your ideologies are the ideologies of everyone else is wrong. Just that. Wrong.
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 15, 05:55PM)Marti Wrote: it should be based fragwise imo

+1!
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 15, 05:55PM)Marti Wrote:
(12 Jan 15, 05:39PM)stef Wrote: To have fun, you don't need to win. As long as you can still spawn and don't get slaughtered immediately, the game is balanced enough. Btw - most of the time, having to battle uphill is more fun than being in a dominating team.

yes, spawning, walking out of your base, and then getting rekt by some snipers and some pro SMGs and getting the occasional shotgun splatter for 15 minutes is great fun.

isnt autoteam balancing teams based on flags scored? if it is, it should be based fragwise imo
team balanced is a lot more complicated than that. it is based on the amount of points you scored during a specific period of time.
Thanks given by:
AUTOTeam balance - in practice does not work properly, is not able to make the game more fun. Rather, it is common for the AUTOteam balance destroy the joy in the game. The idea is good but it was poorly implemented. Everyone knows that. 
This is a pool - then vote!
Thanks given by:
Assuming the server was active, this could work out fine if their is an active and experienced admin available. A referee, if you will.

But I feel like this question is entirely backwards, and we should instead figure out what autoteam should be doing.

That said, I am all for experimental servers and the like, of course...

So have at it...

I just think that you would have a great variance in results, as the players themselves would eventually have to govern what team they are on. Or not govern O_o

But it is also not very clear, in this sense, to definitively say which is the greater nuisance...

Which is also a reason to try it...
But I don't think this is the solution if we are talking about a change from the 'Officially' accepted paradigm...
Just an opinion...
Thanks given by:
Quote:AC, at least AC-pubs, is about fun. To have fun, you don't need to win. As long as you can still spawn and don't get slaughtered immediately, the game is balanced enough. Btw - most of the time, having to battle uphill is more fun than being in a dominating team.

Yeah, for sure. I'm hoping that people will make team changes as needed to fix extreme balance problems, while avoiding autoteam ruining the team experience when the game isn't that unbalanced to begin with.

Sometimes I'll changeteam with the result that the flags are evened out, when I'm not getting enough of a challenge and I don't feel like I've invested a lot of teamwork into my team's flags. Autoteam, on the other hand, seems to like to kick in right after I've finished a tough assist. :P

Quote:Assuming the server was active, this could work out fine if their is an active and experienced admin available.

Yeah, mine don't see a ton of traffic as it is. I also lost my admins in a server move, so I'll need to get more up if the traffic increases.

I mostly expect to see a lot of team stacking, teamswitch flooding, etc., but maybe I should be more optimistic.
Thanks given by: