Full ip
waka.waka.ac server shows full ip?

[Image: jgttdy.jpg]

17/07/2014
14:42 UTC: -3
Thanks given by:
(17 Jul 14, 06:46PM)1Cap Wrote: waka.waka.ac server shows full ip?
Are you just asking for confirmation of what we can see in your screenshot? It certainly looks like it does, yes.
Thanks given by:
i would add else some log information, for example all used nicks, times spent of playing, teamkills, flags, ratio, country etc.

the structure of statistics.cfg file:
"ID","IP range","nick1 nick2","teamkills count", "flags count", "ratio count", etc

admin commands:
/show-player-stat "CN"
/process-log-into-statistic "date"
/merge-player-stat [IP|DATE|ID] "value1" "value2" ...
/send-stat-master-server "date" "server-name" "password"
Thanks given by:
Sounds pretty awesome....

But that seems like a far stretch from the OP, topic-wise....

else:
f0r3v3r is confused
return True
Thanks given by:
(17 Jul 14, 06:46PM)1Cap Wrote: waka.waka.ac server shows full ip?

[Image: jgttdy.jpg]

17/07/2014
14:42 UTC: -3

Is this player Daddy or Fodasse!
Thanks given by:
Yeah, those servers shows full IP, i guess that gibbed.me servers show full IP too
Thanks given by:
Full ip only for spect players..? i can see only partial ip who is in game...
plus
Its brings me questions about privacity too.
plus
i can identify a cheater but i cant vote ban there!
Thanks given by:
Yes, I have used RK's mod from 1.1 to show the full address. It seems to act strangely in this version, not always doing what it's meant to. I haven't had time to look into it.

There is no "privacity" on the internet if you aren't using a VPN/proxy; every service you connect to has your IP address. Why do you trust random server owners and not random AC players? Same deal. Nobody is going to be able to do anything with your IP address unless they happen to work at your ISP and are willing to get fired for looking up customer information without a valid business reason.

Permissions on that server allow ban and weak ban reason to non-admins so it should work fine in any case.
Thanks given by:
(18 Jul 14, 07:08AM)vonunov Wrote: Yes, I have used RK's mod from 1.1 to show the full address. It seems to act strangely in this version, not always doing what it's meant to. I haven't had time to look into it.

It's a simple hack:

To turn on full IP addresses (replace line 2749 of server.cpp with this):
if(clients[i] && clients[i]->clientnum != cl->clientnum)
Thanks given by:
Simple when you understand what's going on, I'm sure. I'm just now getting into C. :P

I ended up with this somehow: http://bpaste.net/show/476016/

I don't recall what my thoughts were or how high I was, but this seems to sort of work except in certain weird cases, like CN nonzero trying to whois CN 0 or something like that.

Anyway, I'll try that, thanks.
Thanks given by:
Please do not register servers that are modified to give the full IP address to all players to the masterserver. AC features that restriction for good reason.

Also, if you run such a server (for whatever reason), please document that modification at least on the serverinfo page.
Thanks given by:
Showing the full IP address should be enforced on AC'S servers. The reason being is that if that server has been breaking the rules or there has been signs of admin abuse on the server then you need the full IP to post on the blacklist forum.

And if the server owners don't like it they could take their servers of the master server.
Thanks given by:
(25 Jul 14, 12:09PM)killerjoe Wrote: The reason being is that if that server has been breaking the rules or there has been signs of admin abuse on the server then you need the full IP to post on the blacklist forum.
You are not making any sense. To report a bad server or bad admins on a server you only need the server IP. That was never truncated.

This thread is about the IPs of players as displayed with the whois command. There is no real reason for making those IPs available in full for all players.
Thanks given by:
(25 Jul 14, 03:32PM)stef Wrote: You are not making any sense.
Read this: http://forum.cubers.net/thread-7700-post...#pid151995
Ignore him.
Thanks given by:
Correct me if i am wrong but isnt AC based on P2P where i can track all connected IP anyway ? Full IP can help because normal users dont have "report" command. The psychology of anonymity should be decreased too.
Thanks given by:
(23 Jul 14, 06:06PM)stef Wrote: Please do not register servers that are modified to give the full IP address to all players to the masterserver. AC features that restriction for good reason.
Also, if you run such a server (for whatever reason), please document that modification at least on the serverinfo page.
!important
What is the good reason?
Thanks given by:
I'd say there's plenty good reason to show the full address, and further, lack of good reason not to.

If there's a demonstrable cheater or some such person on the server, why would we want to track down an admin, or grab the partial IP and hope they will dig through the logs to find the rest for us later? I don't know about the rest of the admins on my server, but I have a day job and I don't have time for all that. In the past, whenever someone would try to contact me about a problem happening on the server, I invariably only found the message some hours later, as I'd been busy while it was happening.

This is why I have bans on, weak ban reasons allowed (as the server makes poor decisions about this), and full IPs shown, so the users can ban and report offenders themselves, and it's totally hands-off for me -- I can provide half-decent servers to the community without having to be there all the time (though I do need to update my maprot at some point).

As far as why not to show the address, what reason is there? Privacy? Paranoia? Contrary to what seems to be a common fear, there is no public database where someone can use your IP address to find out exactly who you are and where you live. Someone can use geolocation to find what city you're in (and it'll probably be wrong), or guess at your general area by looking at the wire center listed in RDNS of your ISP IP address. No exact information will be had unless someone works at your ISP and is willing to get fired for looking up customer information without a valid business reason.

Look at it this way: your IP address is visible to any service you connect to (unless you're using VPN or something), which means it's easily visible to anyone who wants to see it. Even if you're not on an AC server that shows the full IP, all anyone has to do is send you a link to a funny picture hosted on a site they control, then look at the access logs.

What else is the concern? Security? As said, IP addresses are no secret and aren't meant to be -- it's how the internet functions -- so obscurity here is not security. Hopefully nobody relies on this alone, but instead keeps their OS patched (and didn't just disable the ISP's firewall without putting in their own).
Thanks given by:
(25 Jul 14, 07:04PM)vonunov Wrote: As far as why not to show the address, what reason is there? Privacy? Paranoia?

Look at it this way: your IP address is visible to any service you connect to (unless you're using VPN or something), which means it's easily visible to anyone who wants to see it. Even if you're not on an AC server that shows the full IP, all anyone has to do is send you a link to a funny picture hosted on a site they control, then look at the access logs.

About the first part, the main reason is not privacy, people can trace me and stalk me at will, it's their problems if they spend their free time doing it, the problem here is that I dont' want to see my IP flooded by annoying people, and you know how many annoying people can AC or any FPS hosts. Even a forum can make you a whole "IRL enemy team" and if their only way to annoy you is to go through your IP, then they will do (they did it as well for the AC forum, AC masterserver, Akimbo etc, so flooding my internet connection should not be a problem).

For the second part, you are wrong because in the "basic internet", only the services I am connected are aware of my IP, not the other users of those services. When I post a message on YouTube, the guy who answers to my message is not supposed to be aware of my IP. When I go on a funny picture, it's my wish to do so, and everyone who saw the picture are not supposed to see everyone's IP database except the one who hosts the picture. All website redirections must be announced before or during the process, this rule exists and is applied to most of websites, there is obviously a reason to it, prevent a ddos war.
Thanks given by:
(25 Jul 14, 10:43PM)ExodusS Wrote: ...their only way to annoy you is to go through your IP, then they will do (they did it as well for the AC forum, AC masterserver, Akimbo etc, so flooding my internet connection should not be a problem).

Yep, your right. If someone wanted to fuck with you they would because getting your IP is incredibly easy to do.
So on Jacks list up there you ticked: Paranoia.

(25 Jul 14, 10:43PM)ExodusS Wrote: For the second part, you are wrong because in the "basic internet", only the services I am connected are aware of my IP, not the other users of those services.

But you play AssaultCube and have random strangers you have never met your IP? Damn son you must have had epic hax on your residential Internet connection all the time huh?

(25 Jul 14, 10:43PM)ExodusS Wrote: When I post a message on YouTube....

Oh! That explains it. You're a YouTube commentor. Guys, guys, it's ok. We know what type of person comments on YouTube.

(25 Jul 14, 10:43PM)ExodusS Wrote: ...ddos war.

I actually lold.
Thanks given by:
vonunov
Tank you very much for your explanation. Nice to know your point of view.
I particularly feel more secure in knowing that only a few admins have known my entire IP.
There are many young players and many players with bad intentions. These players have time to bother if they have your full ip. Also not everyone knows how to protect yourself. Also I believe there should be only servers in MasterServer when the owner of these servers can manage these servers as well. We all need to do what is necessary.
Report here on the forum with evidence, possible cheaters. Report Server, day and time. Then look at the demo and confirm the cheat. The owner of the server blocks this cheater. This needs work.
Staying distributing complete Ip of "possible" cheaters is not the correct way.IMO.
ExodusS
Tank you very much for your explanation. Nice to know your point of view.
Yes, certainly. Whenever possible internet services try to mask the full IP.
In addition we are warned about the "terms of use" when our privacy is exposed like that.
The question that I think is important is that players are being exposed without a real reason. Being quoted in a "black list" forum, does not mean that the player is a cheater ... But even proven that he is not a cheater will be to late..his full ip (sometimes) has been shouted to the winds!
DrauL
Sarcasm is the path used by those who have no argument. (something like the BAN here in the forum ...)
Use sarcasm sparingly.
And if you have nothing to say, do not come to do that here.

[Image: assaultcube.jpg]
I think this is important, so thx for feedback.
Thanks given by:
AFAIK, if u hav dynamic IP u might escape all the trouble of this exposure, but what do i know, i m just a grounchy old guy. But I concur with ExodusS ppl are out there to fk with others just for fun and getting access to IP is easy way to do that. Still I believe the AC Admins and moderators are doing their best to ensure that the game is hasle free and reduce others taking advantage of resources here to cause mischief.

If you have paranoia about this, take measure on ur PC to protect urself. Read the forums regularly, bring any issues to right ppl. I request u all dont tell the admins or devs how to do their job if its ur intention, just bring any issues to their notice.

If you are a regular guy who wants to play AC when u want. Just ignore this post and enjoy and dont give a damn about anything else

Cheers

Grinch
I like mischief.
Thanks given by:
To report a real cheater you need the help of the server owner to take a look at the log. And there you will find the full IP (among other information).

A blacklist report with nothing more than a screenshot with someone shouting "cheater!" is worthless. With or without full IP.

If you are too lazy to check the logs: don't run a server.

Showing full IPs to everyone for no good reason would violate the law in germany (and at least several other european countries). It /is/ a privacy issue. It simply does not matter, if you all agree...

@Alien: you could take the fact, that we have "servers" as a hint, that AC is not P2P :)

PS: it is hilarious, to see the "facebook expert" going on about privacy :D
Thanks given by:
(26 Jul 14, 06:27AM)grinch_k2 Wrote: AFAIK, if u hav dynamic IP u might escape all the trouble of this exposure,

I have a fix IP and it is the same since more than 7 years, I already had problems in the past because if it, it has nothing to deal with paranoia.
Thanks given by:
A demo with screenshot showing the player in the same game (scoreboard to compare?) seems good enough without having anyone to look at the logs.

I'm not lazy -- checked the logs plenty before -- I just don't have as much time as I did, and I don't see why I should shut everything down rather than find ways to let it run itself.

Maybe DrauL can weigh in as I haven't worked at an ISP in a while and I don't have access to the resources anymore, but I would imagine ISPs have DDoS mitigation far upstream, and probably something more sophisticated than just blackholing your block.

As far as the PC itself, unsolicited inbound connections should not be allowed through most ISP gateways where the firewall hasn't been tampered with -- attacks in this area mostly involve the user first accessing something malicious. Of course, it isn't always like this, but in most cases it's a non-issue.

Anyway, I appreciate all the input; I'll think about it and see if there might be any better ways.
Thanks given by:
(26 Jul 14, 02:43PM)vonunov Wrote: Maybe DrauL can weigh in

Hi

(26 Jul 14, 02:43PM)vonunov Wrote: ...but I would imagine ISPs have DDoS mitigation far upstream, and probably something more sophisticated than just blackholing your block.

Only seen it once before, wasn't anything massive. Essentially (our) ISP is quite large and has the ability for large scale mitigations. Smaller ISP's IDK.

We probably wouldn't drop a block, cos that would cause more hassle than it's worth.

(26 Jul 14, 02:43PM)vonunov Wrote: As far as the PC itself, unsolicited inbound connections should not be allowed through most ISP gateways where the firewall hasn't been tampered with

By default we block /some/ ports.
[Image: f8nhL7a.png]

Port scans are a thing, you will get port scanned if you use the internet in anyway. Attacks happen, but not because someone just knows your full IP. The people that want to do it, might hit every IP in a block till they find one they want.

Leave you router firewalls up, use common sense.
Don't be idiots.
Thanks given by:
(25 Jul 14, 04:44PM)ExodusS Wrote:
(25 Jul 14, 03:32PM)stef Wrote: You are not making any sense.
Read this: http://forum.cubers.net/thread-7700-post...#pid151995
Ignore him.

If I do not make any sense then it is your intuition.
Thanks given by:
(27 Jul 14, 10:49AM)killerjoe Wrote: If I do not make any sense then it is your intuition.

(27 Jun 14, 09:06AM)killerjoe Wrote: Half-Life is a late 80s early 90s FPS game with the same graphics as AC

It's not "my intuition", what you say is just false and bullshit, you are countering your own arguments in the same sentences you argued in.
Thanks given by:
(27 Jul 14, 11:57PM)ExodusS Wrote:
(27 Jun 14, 09:06AM)killerjoe Wrote: Half-Life is a late 80s early 90s FPS game with the same graphics as AC
lololol ^^
Thanks given by: