DUBSTEP
Ahahahaha who earns with music anyway?

FUCK ALBUMS AND CRAP ARTISTS! BEEMP3 & MP3SKULL FOREVAH WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!
Thanks given by:
(24 Jun 13, 04:05PM)Marti Wrote: like if you had the opportunity to make millions with 'music' you wouldn't take it

I'm not someone like that sorry, and a lot of known artists like Datsik, Doctor P have the opportunity too, because they have far more knowledge in music than Skrillex, they are not as rich as him because music is their passion, not their job.
Thanks given by:
(24 Jun 13, 12:27PM)Marti Wrote: I'd rather be a businessman and make $250.000.000 than being a musician and making $1000.

It's the people who decide whether or not someone is a musician.

You're clearly not a musician and you don't posses any artistic tendencies.
Thanks given by:
(24 Jun 13, 05:21PM)pweaks Wrote:
(24 Jun 13, 12:27PM)Marti Wrote: I'd rather be a businessman and make $250.000.000 than being a musician and making $1000.

i never said i was, i just stated that the businessmen are just smart people. Today's society is all about money. if music is your passion i understand that you won't make the 'crap' Skrillex does. And since im not a musician, i prefer the option to make a lot of money over making real music.
Thanks given by:
^
Thanks given by:
(24 Jun 13, 05:45PM)Marti Wrote:
(24 Jun 13, 05:21PM)pweaks Wrote:

i never said i was, i just stated that the businessmen are just smart people. Today's society is all about money. if music is your passion i understand that you won't make the 'crap' Skrillex does. And since im not a musician, i prefer the option to make a lot of money over making real music.
I know you didn't say so. That's why you can't truly understand what I mean. If making a lot of money is what you prefer over expressing yourself, I guess the society has successfully brainwashed you.
Thanks given by:
CA-CA-CA-CA-CA-CA-CAPITALISM!
Thanks given by:
(24 Jun 13, 06:20PM)pweaks Wrote: If making a lot of money is what you prefer over expressing yourself, I guess the society has successfully brainwashed you.

dont feel the need to express myself via music atm
Thanks given by:
Let's come back to the topic, this time, you must have some good sound systems (headphones don't count) because I can't listen to these songs out of my car, it's pointless IMO.

Doctor P - Watch out

Feed me - Cloudburn

Suspicious Stench - Ghost Town

And "The Antiserum - Rambo Style", no way to find a good song quality on Youtube...
Thanks given by:
The only logic explanation is that people have no taste in music at all. You know, classical music is the real badass which owns everything produced nowadays, but no one can stand more than a minute listening to it.
Don't call some gears put in a blender 'music', but noise.

Mod edit: Edited for editorial reasons.
Thanks given by:
Because it's popular it must be good. I'm not anti-social, you don't even know me. Marti himself admitted that everything revolves around money.

Mod edit: edited for editorial reasons.
Thanks given by:
There's no substance to go on with this. If you actually think that if music is popular it must be good, then you don't know what art is about.
Thanks given by:
I know what art is but do you? You are clearly missing my point. I'm fine with opinions but if you say that popular music must be good that's not a logical explanation. Why is he good? What makes him "good"? Popularity can't explain on its own what makes his music good. And that's where people fail when they try to explain why they like mainstream music. They simply don't understand music on the same level that for example I do.
Thanks given by:
If something is considered good when majority likes it, isn't that then against the matter of opinion? It's automatically good because it's popular. Then there's no room for an opinion. Everything you say is so contradictory that I can't take you seriously. I wasn't talking specifically about Marti. I told my opinion and then you come in and accuse me that I am against society.
Thanks given by:
Ok, let's enter in the arena, first of all, the music is something wich is really important to my eyes, not only because I listen more than 5hours of music each days, but especially because it's a good way to share a message or just to express a feeling wich there is no other way to express.

Andrez spoke about the classical music, wich is really the most underrated hard work of today, some songs took years to their artists and needed an impressive knowledge to realise (many instruments, instrument positions in the room, needed musicians, and a very good taste of the melody etc). Somewhere it's true, but today music it's different, the aim of the music is different too, in the past it was an intertainment for riches and elites, today the music has a more popular aim and I prefer it.

My parents always told me to say "I dislike it" instead of "It's a bad music", it's also true, but today commercial music is shit, when you see some strong music industries like EMI, Sony etc wich are making some studies on the human brain to know wich melody will make them sell more CD's because it will be very "catchy" with a dumb, small and stupid melody really easy to remember (melody wich stuck in your head, idk if I use the good english word I think you know what i'm saying), let me say this kind of music is bullshit. This is a music made by scientifics and computers, they just trow a pseudo-artist singings some stupid lyrics on it, do you think it's a good music, do you dare to say it's as artistic as a real song entirely made by a real artist?

So yes, when I see people enjoying Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Skrillex (and this list could be fucking long, omg), it scares me, I can't stand to see so many trapped people listening to these craps.

You should make your own searches about commercial music, you will know why you "like" it.

My personal vision of the difference between a good and bad music is clear since some years now, a good artist makes a good music when this music is not made for his listeners.

To come back on the Dubstep thread, this genre is really underrated, eveybody think they are listening to it, but only a few knows what it is really. This is not really a problem for me, at least those ignorants are not invading the real music.
Thanks given by:
As I said earlier, there's no substance to go on with this since your view in music is completely different as mine. I listen to all kind of music, but MTV top 10 sounds very shallow to me because they are products, not art pieces. They are not expressing themselves, they are selling themselves.
Thanks given by:
I didn't know it was a contest or an argument to show my knowledge, then I lied, I listen music 25 hours a day.

You said I like an artist because he is "special" in some way, and I don't care about his songs... Well this is kinda dumb, also an artist must be special, or music he does must be special, if the music have nothing to offer what's the point of listnening to music?

Then you said commercial craps in the 90s are now classics, but it's false, yes it's classic for people who lived in it, but not for everyone. Since ~5 years, the French televisions are spamming the 80s and 90s nostalgies at TV shows, my parents are hating that, because they had the same vision of the music than me (they didn't teach me their vision of the music and I thanks them for that, I made my own). They lived around all the commercial crap you said, but they were listening mainly to UK musics that couldn't even reach France because it was in any case linked with the huge music industry, they went many times to London only to buy Drum and Bass and completelly underrated genres (such as glitch-hop, and fuck yes dubstep in the late 90's) songs etc...

And you also spoke about the "real hip-hop", well let me say the real one was from really poor neighborhoods and I think you never listnened to any "real hip-hop", the lyrics are so mindfull and different with the actual commercial hip-hop you can't even compare, cliches about commercial rap/hip-hop can not be more rights since it's only about drugs, girls, money, provocating and how superiors their are comparing to the listener, sometimes they create some mindfull lyrics, but it's only for commercial purposes. Please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFsX-jJg9uM
Thanks given by:
(25 Jun 13, 05:47PM)ExodusS Wrote: I listen music 25 hours a day.

Haha! That isn't possible!
Thanks given by:
People derive enjoyment from simple music because it is nice to relax to and doesnt require thought to consume. I would argue that its not the musicians that want to feel part of a group, it is those that consume music that want to feel part of something although they dont know objectively anythin about the subject matter. Its nice to take a sound bath every now and again.

But pop music is not popular by subjective means. It is popular because objectively it is the simplest culmination of musical styles to this point. Functional harmony, easy rhythmic phrases, an singable diatonic melodies. Some popular music of note that breaks this mold tends to be overlooked. Toxic by britney spears has a bit of chromaticism in it, and was also popular.

I recommend for any music enthusiast to watch the documentary "before the music dies" specifically the section where they find a model, have her make a video, "sing" through a filter and make what could be a hit song. Its not tht any music is bad, it just simply isnt complex in the ways that trained or skilled musicians may appreciate. With a little more musical education, maybe the common masses could appreciate more fully types of music that aren't as possible, and move the pop scene to skilled music.

Although in history this has not been the case. Folk songs dominated regions, even when jazz became popular, the advent of bebop killed the big band vibe. Its also important to remember socio-economic indicators. For example, beauty standards made popular by the types of britney spears were marketed to pubescent teenagers, but the biggest consumers of spears were men aged 25-50 roughly. Its never necessarily the music standing alone.

Skrillex is ill as shit when you're fucked up on mdma dancing with some bitches, but when you actually stop to listen, pop music is like rooting through a garbage can for something to eat.
Thanks given by:
Indeed Wafflito.

Luckily MDMA is everywhere here. ^^

Ghost Owls #1 artist
Thanks given by:
Dubstep has too much wibbly wobbly or random noise going on, for my taste. This is probably my favourite:
Thanks given by:
I think my country is not well placed to speak about music, even if we have some strong artists, imo, the UK are still the "great music dictators" for many obvious reasons.

Mod edit: Editied for editorial reasons.
Thanks given by:
Ye i wonder too lol, i need to know who thinks i have brains :D
Thanks given by:
It's a fad and it will die out. It's scarcely even music. Organised noise, yes, but not much more. Trendy, for now.

I can however say I mildly like Burial, but I won't tar his music with the dubstep brush.
Thanks given by:
I ruined this thread to delete Smiguel's posts. Sorry, but I don't feel too bad because it's offtopic. It was just Fred, if you're interested.
Thanks given by:
Yeah you can tell it was him by the roided out nerd logic. I should say i consider dubstep art but not because of the musical content. Most styles of music that focus on eliciting dance tend to shift the view from the music to audience reaction. Observing a group of people dancing is a very powerful statement, and is similar to constructs in music. In this way i think pop is inacluable to the human condition, but not as a simply musical entity.
Thanks given by:
that pretty much describes the pop music of today
Thanks given by:
(26 Jun 13, 04:47PM)Marti Wrote: that pretty much describes the pop music of today

lol, dp you know kpop and how huge this "genre" is?
Thanks given by:
(26 Jun 13, 04:54PM)ExodusS Wrote: lol, dp you know kpop and how huge this "genre" is?

korean pop, PSY? SHINee?
they sing korean mainly but also a few english sentences/words lol
Thanks given by:
Asians can do anything, except singing.
Thanks given by: