Poll: Should we be able to see a teamkill counter?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
70.59%
12 70.59%
No
17.65%
3 17.65%
Some other, more nuanced opinion (discuss)
11.76%
2 11.76%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Should we be able to see a teamkill counter?
I made a script that shows how many teamkills everyone has in a nice neat format, entirely for my own purposes (I also made one that shows other information, like your teammates health and armor, but that's not really that useful in my opinion)

People have asked me to post the script, but I was against the idea at first. I figured that since it's so easy to get accidental teamkills in pubs for so many people, that exposing a teamkill counter could open a door for malicious votes. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong. Also, maybe this could make for an interesting discussion.
Thanks given by: Brutal System , +f0r3v3r+
Does it also include how many times you have been tk'd, and by whom? I would like to see that information. Because I often get teamkilled by the same player over and over.
Thanks given by:
(27 Sep 16, 12:18AM)Boomhauer Wrote: Does it also include how many times you have been tk'd, and by whom? I would like to see that information. Because I often get teamkilled by the same player over and over.

No. What you see in the image in the spoiler tag is the extent of it. Just how many times a person has teamkilled
Thanks given by:
Whenever I get teamkilled for little reason I like to check how many other teamkills the offender has, so that I can kick him if he has a lot. Currently I have to run "whois" for that. Having a menu would be nicer. It'd also make it easier to find potential intentional teamkillers for admins.

As for "interesting discussion": servers really should track damage dealt to teammates in addition to number of teamkills, and show it when a player is votekicked. Currently dealing with clever griefers who injure teammates but never kill them is quite difficult.
Thanks given by:
Note that I do want to see the script, but only because I am curious how you went about it in the script. I got really curious when you mentioned some undocumented cubescript, and I think I may be close to figuring it out.

But the moral quandary that you pose is fascinating to me...

As gy_be noted, there is already a way to see how many teamkills a player has. While this makes it easier to see, I don't think it opens the scenario up for abuse any more than the current situation does.

Right now, this kind of abuse does occur - For example, I have been in a situation where I was teamkilled - the player apologized and I accepted. But another player on the opposing team did not see our teamchat and decided to do me a favor by kicking the player. And when that vote failed, they tried to ban him. They didn't succeed, but the idea is that people already give each other hell for teamkills even if it is obscured behind whois.

But I think the source of this abuse is what should really come in to question.
For sure some admins and players have different thresholds regarding teamkilling. It lives in a gray area for many people, and for some it is black and white.

I think most people would agree that banning for one teamkill is excessive. But where do we draw the line?
At some point you have to know you are in a team-based setting and it is an egregious offense to teamkill. But we know people also make innocent and/or ignorant mistakes and everybody has done it.

So we know there has to be some forgiveness applied in any given accidental situation. We just have to acknowledge there is a limit to ignorance, as well. And that even accidental teamkills will inevitably bring a consequence.

I think we are also at a point where we have marginalized the importance of the Public game. So much so that teamkills aren't being seen as the evil they are. Stop teamkilling! XD

So if you would ask me if such a script would bring unwarranted abuse upon teamkilling, I would say no.
I think especially if there was something on the scoreboard, then teamkilling would actually happen less, because people would be more aware of it, and maybe realize that it is a serious part of the game to avoid killing your teammates.
Thanks given by:
Wait, what? /whois doesn't show the number of teamkills ._.
Unless, is that some option I have to turn on?
Thanks given by:
/whois shows teamkills - that is what I meant when I was referring to people already being able to see teamkill count, as gy_be noted.
Thanks given by:
I've got no prob with your script except for my mouse, which decided to say FU. If it's implemented I'd rec' a command that allows you to see the TKs per client number / cn. that would be useful.
Thanks given by:
(28 Sep 16, 04:39AM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: /whois shows teamkills - that is what I meant when I was referring to people already being able to see teamkill count, as gy_be noted.
Wow I'm blind. How did I never notice that?

Anyway, I see a couple of people voted 'no'. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter
Thanks given by:
Did you ever try /whois -1 with admin claimed?
Thanks given by:
(28 Sep 16, 05:21PM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: Did you ever try /whois -1 with admin claimed?
I assume that does a whois of everyone? I can't actually check, as I don't have admin anywhere (with the possible exception of a couple of B} servers, but I'm not sure)

Edit: Since you already can see teamkillers, I guess there's no reason not to share the code. If you want it, here: http://forum.cubers.net/thread-8765.html
Thanks given by: