Editing Official Maps
Is editing official maps alright? I mean, everybody knows it's an edited official map. And, Assaultcube IS open source.
Thanks given by:
http://assault.cubers.net/docs/license.html

Not every file is listed here, if you're unable to find the license for a specific file here, you'll need to look through the AssaultCube package carefully to see if you're able to find the license there. If no license is specified, you MUST assume that the data is COPYRIGHT and you are NOT allowed to redistribute that data outside of an UNMODIFIED AssaultCube package(s).

It's in your game file, it's on the website: No
Thanks given by:
night_douze 4 official.
Thanks given by: PhaNtom
(22 Aug 15, 10:44PM)X-Ray_Dog Wrote:
Not every file is listed here, if you're unable to find the license for a specific file here, you'll need to look through the AssaultCube package carefully to see if you're able to find the license there. If no license is specified, you MUST assume that the data is COPYRIGHT and you are NOT allowed to redistribute that data outside of an UNMODIFIED AssaultCube package(s).

It's in your game file, it's on the website: No

Yes, but the data has been changed - opening the cgz in a hex editor proves that not a single byte of data is original after modification. And what if I 'theoretically' do a really good job of copying the map by hand? That's just like tracing a drawing and claiming it as my own, isnt it...
Thanks given by:
Do you ever think before you start typing? You are asking us here, how you can cheat our license!

It doesn't matter, if a map is official or not: do not mess with a map without permission from the author. Ever.

You can edit maps on your local harddrive - but to distribute an altered map, you need permission.

BTW, inventing ways to circumvent the wishes of people who give you their work for free to play with - that just makes you a douche.

PS: the hex editor stuff is bullshit - otherwise recoding a movie would make copying legal
Thanks given by:
I understand that feeling why some people are so surprised. For me copyright is related with profit which can be stolen. And therefore i don't like copyrighting maps in AC because I don't see that potential profit from the modification. And it is so easy to modify someone's map. I think it is about the level where you are living in AC, if you are just stupid user,so you use "edit" mode with excitement but you don't know you are halfway on blacklist. Because you cannot map without stealing in AC. But as developer/community mapper, you know how to modify cfg for writing some licence text, you discover all textures, sounds and models aren't free and so on, so your house of freedom suddenly doesn't exist.
Thanks given by:
(02 Feb 16, 06:59AM)ZS/Horse Wrote: Yes, but the data has been changed - opening the cgz in a hex editor proves that not a single byte of data is original after modification. And what if I 'theoretically' do a really good job of copying the map by hand? That's just like tracing a drawing and claiming it as my own, isnt it...

If you are lucky enough, you can reproduce exactly the whole AssaultCube source code, and if you are even more lucky, maybe you'll randomly type things in a text file, rename its extension to .cfg and you will have the exact same .cgz than an official map as well. Crazy how nature do that.
Thanks given by: