[split] AC Match Client shittalking
Lucas you a balla, thats for true but I need to differentiate here. Your Polish speak is real right? It's called context. One of the reasons English sucks so much is the context right? Well welcome to the context. Morgan is it's name. Understanding is it's game.
Thanks given by: Bullpup
We are illuminatis
Thanks given by:
Speaking with w00p further about this they want to keep control of this project. They have no plans to open source these features. I don't want a clan dictating the competitive play, so won't play this and I encourage everyone else to think about it too.

Unless you use the modded client, you aren't able to connect to the new servers. Without review of the binaries we cannot say if they are completely harmless.

Additionally, after our conversation finished Drakas decided to ban me permanently. I don't think w00p are mature enough to take such privileges. 
that can only suggest that they have ulterior motives. a bit suspicious don't you think? no illuminati troll
Thanks given by:
(17 Jan 15, 12:23AM)Roflcopter Wrote: . I don't want a clan dictating the competitive play, so won't play this and I encourage everyone else to think about it too.

TyD never controlled the entire AC blacklist
Thanks given by:
(17 Jan 15, 12:56AM)Honor Wrote: TyD never controlled the entire AC blacklist

and it is a good thing that they don't anymore. i don't want to return to those days.
Could you please link to the altered source code. Thanks

Also a question at this point.. Would Luc@s be forced to make this open source?

Since the AssaultCube readme states:
Quote:The AssaultCube source code is mainly based on the cube game/engine and uses the 
same license (z-lib like). See README_CUBEENGINE.txt

And the Cube readme states
Quote:You may use the cube source code if you abide by the ZLIB license
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/zlib-license.php

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied
warranty.  In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages
arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,
including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it
freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not
  claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software
  in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be
  appreciated but is not required.
2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
  misrepresented as being the original software.
3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.

additional clause specific to Cube:

4. Source versions may not be "relicensed" under a different license
  without my explicitly written permission.

So the zlib license seems pretty open in that point but the addition:
Quote:4. Source versions may not be "relicensed" under a different license without my explicitly written permission.

Could mean that any change has to be licensed under the same license and since this is an open source license it could mean that the source code has to be provided. But it also states that this is "specific to Cube" tough it's not really clear if AssaultCube does not want to use exactly the same license since they refer to the license as "z-lib like" license.
Thanks given by:
w00p has no problem sharing it's idea with the rest of us. What they have a problem with is watching that idea strike pay dirt and then drift into nothing-ness. If it adds new competitive features that is great, but do not expect someone to give up something for nothing. If AC truly wants to implement this then w00p deserves the recognition due their creativity.

To be honest I see no reason they'd deny other clans the opportunity to use it unless those clans proved unworthy. You design something and then you're expected to give it to anyone with a tag? C'mon...
(18 Jan 15, 07:46AM)MorganKell Wrote: w00p has no problem sharing it's idea with the rest of us. What they have a problem with is watching that idea strike pay dirt and then drift into nothing-ness. If it adds new competitive features that is great, but do not expect someone to give up something for nothing. If AC truly wants to implement this then w00p deserves the recognition due their creativity.

i can't help but get the feeling that w00p want to 'convince' people to play on their servers by offering it as the best option. the downside of this is that they get a whole host of powers over competitive AC. 

now, we don't want that, because then we don't have any say ourselves. that is why i think it would be better if the source code was released.

however, the conundrum here is that w00p is in possession of the source code. they are putting their personal interests ahead of the collective interests of the AC community.
(18 Jan 15, 08:23AM)Undead Wrote: now, we don't want that, because then we don't have any say ourselves. that is why i think it would be better if the source code was released.

The community could always release another fork.
Thanks given by:
(18 Jan 15, 09:36AM)SKB Wrote: The community could always release another fork.

yeah, but from what i've heard, it takes a fair amount of effort to code the same features that lucas has coded.
(18 Jan 15, 09:58AM)Undead Wrote: yeah, but from what i've heard, it takes a fair amount of effort to code the same features that lucas has coded.

True, that's why I want to create something like Bukkit for AC servers (and clients), though I probably won't. Look how many people helped AC once the noise wannabe-coders created died down.
Thanks given by:
(18 Jan 15, 11:00AM)SKB Wrote:
(18 Jan 15, 09:58AM)Undead Wrote: yeah, but from what i've heard, it takes a fair amount of effort to code the same features that lucas has coded.

True, that's why I want to create something like Bukkit for AC servers (and clients), though I probably won't. Look how many people helped AC once the noise wannabe-coders created died down.

http://gema.forumactif.com/t205-lua-mod-...nd-working
Thanks given by:
(18 Jan 15, 08:23AM)Undead Wrote: i can't help but get the feeling that w00p want to 'convince' people to play on their servers by offering it as the best option.

i play a game on aura, for some reason that is the only server i lag on (lucas before you come and cricri, i checked on TS and other servers, i only lag on aura)

and then lucas tells me to 'quit complaining about imaginary problems'

oh and he also said this

[Image: 0V70hF1.jpg]
apparently lucas is homophobic
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by:
Your pj was spiking during the game
Thanks given by:
because

(18 Jan 15, 06:19PM)Honor Wrote: Your pj was spiking during the game

do you read? as i said it is only on aura
Thanks given by:
(18 Jan 15, 02:21PM)Mousikos Wrote: http://gema.forumactif.com/t205-lua-mod-...nd-working

I'm looking for something more insane.
Thanks given by:
Honestly, that lua mod is a bit weak. The API is a complete mess, and instead of using things such as userdata and metamethods, he just throws around a shit ton of tables, and it just gets messy really fast.
Thanks given by:
I actually lag a lot on aura servers too...they seem to have spikes every so often.
Thanks given by:
(18 Jan 15, 08:35PM)PhaNtom Wrote: they seem to have spikes every so often

^this, although Marti's issue is different I think, I've seen him with 120 ping on aura servers (france) yet 13 ping to rc's ts3 (UK) at the same time.
Thanks given by:
(18 Jan 15, 08:54PM)Vanquish Wrote:
(18 Jan 15, 08:35PM)PhaNtom Wrote: they seem to have spikes every so often

^this, although Marti's issue is different I think, I've seen him with 120 ping on aura servers (france) yet 13 ping to rc's ts3 (UK) at the same time.

was anyone else spiking at the same time? could be a routing issue
Thanks given by:
I had that same problem last month on the public aura experimental one, but it sorted itself out (maybe some updates from the woops). Never had any serious issues on the aura match servers, at least nothing different from the lag spikes that brazilian internet gives me at any other server.
Thanks given by:
(19 Jan 15, 12:04AM)Vermi Wrote: was anyone else spiking at the same time? could be a routing issue

Everybody lags at once...
Thanks given by:
binaries?
binaries?

binaries?
Thanks given by:
(22 Jan 15, 01:14AM)1Cap Wrote: binaries?
binaries?

binaries?

no
no

no
Thanks given by:
(22 Jan 15, 09:22AM)Million Wrote: no
no

no

why are you defending lucas?
Thanks given by:
(22 Jan 15, 01:14AM)1Cap Wrote: binaries?
binaries?

binaries?

i'm afraid i don't understand your question. could you please rephrase it ?
Thanks given by:
(19 Jan 15, 02:27AM)ElCrema Wrote: I had that same problem last month on the public aura experimental one, but it sorted itself out (maybe some updates from the woops). Never had any serious issues on the aura match servers, at least nothing different from the lag spikes that brazilian internet gives me at any other server.

If everybody lagged at the same time : it was a server issue. (server provider or the server machine/AC server itself). The experimental server regularly had such an issue, but this is not the case for the current servers, though they might still lag sometimes.

If you are lagging : the problem is between you, your ISP and the server. We can't really blame anyone and there is not much we can do. Sometimes it eventually gets sorted when routes change. If you are having a similar problem, please send me a recent trace route to woop.ac.

This is, however, not the appropriate thread to discuss these things.
Of course, if someone is willing to help us hosting top quality servers, i'll take it, but nobody has done it so far.
Thanks given by:
(22 Jan 15, 12:36PM)Luc@s Wrote: Of course, if someone is willing to help us hosting top quality servers, i'll take it, but nobody has done it so far.

(18 Jan 15, 12:29AM)X-Ray_Dog Wrote: Can I host a server for a closer-to-the-us server?
Thanks given by: