Circle Strafing
[Image: Circlestrafing_animation.gif]
Circle strafing involves strafing around an opponent while facing them (likely shooting at them). This exploits the limited turning speed of an opponent and helps with evading their attacks whilst returning fire. 
Thanks given by:
Now, all you need to do is find a map with a space big enough to make that big of a circle around them and you'll be better than Vanquish.
Thanks given by:
[Image: spiral_strafe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As long as the opponent stops moving ..
Thanks given by:
Only works against touchpad players.
//offtopic, why do you always add random colours to your sentences?
Thanks given by:
(06 Apr 15, 11:18AM)ExodusS Wrote: Only works against touchpad players.

or people with a ridiculously low sensitivity, back when I was using 85cm/360 ingame I just couldn't turn fast enough to hit them without dragging my mouse off the pad entirely, and I know some people (xenon for example) had even slower sensitivities than I did. Using 22cm/360 atm and it isn't a problem anymore.
Thanks given by:
Many players have similar sensivities on CS and on AC while those games are slighty differents if we speak about the gameplay and especially how fast AC is (or another Quake-like game) compared to CS. I remember many CS pros in the past used to set the sens at 9cm/90, something that is not very good on AC.
Thanks given by:
(06 Apr 15, 01:00PM)ExodusS Wrote: many CS pros in the past used to set the sens at 9cm/90, something that is not very good on AC.

so around 36cm/360? Not sure if you mean that it's too fast or too slow but it doesn't really seem that unreasonable to me. sensitivity is totally personal anyway, pyras was using 10 sens @ 800dpi and xenon was using 0.1 @ 3500dpi or smth and they both had great aim.

* Vanquish resists the urge to make a thread asking about people's mouse sensitivities
Thanks given by:
If it's 9cm/90 it means 36*cm/360 but IIRC it was 6cm/90 instead (my bad) so it would give 24cm/360, this number was given after some studies on CS1.6 pro players all using the Deathadder and the same Large Idon'trememberthename Razer mousepad. Of course it was made for CS maps only and for 4/3 monitors. It was low because in CS you don't need to make 360 degrees moves all the time, you just aim toward a single direction and you are slow, thing that is completelly different on AC. That's all I can remember from it, and the page seems down or unavalable.

Don't forget to ask the Win sensitivity in the thread.
Thanks given by:
wow I derped there, should really sleep more, sry. :/

I have no idea about most CS players' settings, I know f0rest is using something around 24cm/360 though @ 1280x960, or at least he was in the last config I checked, plus he's using a kinzu.

I think there might already be a thread asking about people's sensitivities, I'll try to find it.
Thanks given by:
(06 Apr 15, 03:21PM)Vanquish Wrote: I have no idea about most CS players' settings,

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0

:)
Thanks given by:
90% of players on that list have an atrocious taste in mice.

Also some stuff on that list is wrong, 1600x900 isn't 4:3 for example, it's 16:9.
Thanks given by:
(06 Apr 15, 11:49AM)Vanquish Wrote: My man 

(06 Apr 15, 11:18AM)ExodusS Wrote: Only works against touchpad players.

or people with a ridiculously low sensitivity, back when I was using 85cm/360 ingame I just couldn't turn fast enough to hit them without dragging my mouse off the pad entirely, and I know some people (xenon for example) had even slower sensitivities than I did. Using 22cm/360 atm and it isn't a problem anymore.
Thanks given by:
(06 Apr 15, 10:26PM)Vanquish Wrote: Also some stuff on that list is wrong, 1600x900 isn't 4:3 for example, it's 16:9.

Some higher end CS players actually play with a 16:9 monitor, but have CS sized to 4:3 iirc.
Thanks given by:
i play on a computer routed with 18m of extension cables to my 10' monitor thats slightly broken in one corner
Thanks given by: Orynge
(07 Apr 15, 04:20AM)PhaNtom Wrote: Some higher end CS players actually play with a 16:9 monitor, but have CS sized to 4:3 iirc.

All higher end CS players use 16:9 monitors. The 15" 75hz 4:3 LCD's have too much input lag, and nobody practices on a CRT anymore because all LAN events have the newest 120/144hz TFT's.
BenQ and EIZO also sponsor/have sponsored teams like NiP and fnatic. It's also worth noting that absolutely none of the monitors used at tournaments (or that have refresh rates of 120/144hz) run natively at 1600x900, they're all 1920x1080 (or in the case of the ROG Swift, 2560x1440).

I'm sure that the 1600x900 would therefore be the resized resolution of choice for most players, and thus that the spreadsheet is incorrect.
Thanks given by:
Interesting. And all this makes this technique does not bring good results?
Thanks given by:
(07 Apr 15, 02:06PM)1Cap Wrote: Interesting. And all this makes this technique does not bring good results?
Not sure about what you wanted to ask, I guess the answer would be that they are paid to play video games, I guess it's a "good result"...
Thanks given by:
(07 Apr 15, 02:06PM)1Cap Wrote: Interesting. And all this makes this technique does not bring good results?

As soon as you start circling a player they're gonna circle in the same direction or just move. It's hard enough finding a pub player this would work on, nevermind it be a viable competitive tactic.
Thanks given by:
This technique is described to be effective in many games. There are many gaming sites talking about it. I wonder why not work on AC.
Thanks given by:
Quote:The effectiveness of the circle strafing maneuver is mitigated when the opponent's weapon fires projectiles that travel instantaneously, or fires a large number in a machine gun-like fashion...
[source]

Circle-strafing works not "because it exploits the turning speed of your opponent." In fact, both you and your enemy have to turn at the exact same speed. Instead, it works because it creates a situation in which you're moving/dodging while your opponent isn't it.
Thanks given by: