assault cube needs updates
it's sad to me that such a dedicated member of this community has to go away without a say like this. Undead has shown to be capable of presenting proper arguments (albeit in quite a brutally honest manner, which i find funny is the complete opposite of what Lucas has previously referred to as "extremely dishonest"), and i'd like to build upon these bases, but it seems the thread has already served its purpose in an extremely messy manner.

on a minor note, Grenadier, is there any specific reason as to my IP address being blocked from entering the official IRC? the last time i posted there was just a few days ago i think, and it was only three comments long being entirely about my newfound ability to post threads again. if it's just a mistake or for valid reasons then feel free to inform me
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 15, 01:19AM)Luc@s Wrote: regarding -1 when you commit suicide while holding the flag in HTF/KTF: we have to make sure it doesn't get exploited (e.g. to save some time in HTF) in a way we do not want.

regarding the changelog : whatdid you think of the 1.2.0.0 changelog ?

I don't get how it can be abused, though. KTF, you want the flag, not to blow yourself up and lose it. HTF, you blow up, and the flag stays there for the other team to score. What am I missing? :(

I liked 1.2. I'm wondering what you think will be the features that make us go 'ooo, ahhh' for 1.3?
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 15, 02:11AM)G1gantuan Wrote: on a minor note, Grenadier, is there any specific reason as to my IP address being blocked from entering the official IRC? the last time i posted there was just a few days ago i think, and it was only three comments long being entirely about my newfound ability to post threads again. if it's just a mistake or for valid reasons then feel free to inform me
The IP you posted with is not banned.
We have quite a few VPN bans, so that might be the issue. Solution is not to use a VPN. You also might be falling in a previously banned person's ban, which was banned by hostname. Best guess is that you tell us your ISP and we try to figure out which ban is causing that.
Thanks given by:
One final remark to everyone praising Undead like he was the Lord himself. You may just try to have a serious discussion with him about something that you do not agree on. Of course it's all nice, while he's bashing others and seems to stand up for your positions.

Then you may realize that there's little to zero coherence in all that hot air he is spitting at people. I just had an arguement with him and I lost count of how often he didn't make a point, but just startet to pull something unrelated out of thin air trying to make one look like someone who has no clue. Seriously, it's all up there. Try to make sense out of his replies and try to read it without all that bias going on against so-called veterans...

He believes that he is the only one around smart enough to see the truth! He even admitted that he consideres himself to be the best/only leader (or may I say "Führer") for this game. Open your eyes people. That boy has some serious issues. Messiah-Complex comes to mind when reading stuff like he was the only one who could save AC. Holy shit... doesn't this ring a bell?

In my opinion, this game has lost a lot of it's fun and community when exzjemvill-styled crap maps, bs_dust 24/7 servers and ignorant wannabes like that OP took over. The decline you are pointing at today has actually happend after that turn, when those loosly gamers that didn't gave a dime about what AC really is, went on with doing something else, and a lot of the 'old' playerbase was gone already. It's been this 'low quality times', which the newer guys are celebrating, when AC bled it's core community.

I'm not saying that we (yes I take up my bit of responsibility) did everything right, back then and I'm happy to see Stef rolling back some of the messures that have proven to not solve the problem, but cause a whole lot of irritations. Yet, there are of course development decisions I am not the biggest fan of. But guess what, this is how life rolls and there's no need to take it to a personal level or start a  neverending flame campaign. By the way, I never saw Undead giving concrete ideas, just that he had them all. Is there a place I can find his vision? I honestly wish to know.

However, it doesn't help this game at all if we have one guy proclaiming his enlightment and just fighting against that last few developers that actually can code/map/model/maintain servers/host services.

Nobody can be that stubborn to believe that one weird'o who can't even code will change anything about any computer programm. Where do you think he'll get coders from that translate his visions into executables. Which leads to the question, why he doesn't already take those coders together and creates his own fork?

Just think about it once. Only once for a second. Thank you.
Thanks given by:
what was the problem with 1.04 seriously fuck the ar and the haxjump? is AC going to be tweaked every 6 months-1year for ever? also ive heard through the grapevine that there was some code committed that changed how packets are handled can anyone explain these changes in laymans terms for me?
Thanks given by:
It seems that I'll have to go back on my word

(25 Feb 15, 10:45AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: One final remark to everyone praising Undead like he was the Lord himself. You may just try to have a serious discussion with him about something that you do not agree on. Of course it's all nice, while he's bashing others and seems to stand up for your positions.

It's so easy to just spout crap without actually backing them up, isn't it? A+ grade student with masterful English comprehension skills, who exactly are these individuals that you so boldly claim to have been so unprincipled as to praise Undead "like he was the Lord himself"? My previous attempt at arguing with you involved being retorted with worthless prejudices that probably didn't even have thought involved. Are you that allergic to "serious discussions" wherein you actually have to stand up for your own conceptions? I mean besides, you even said it yourself; what's the point in going on a world-changing quest when you two were merely discussing the future of an open-source game? As for "bashing people", I'm sure you also mean that rational human beings that are capable of admitting their mistakes are also involved, right? Anyhow, if you perceive proper critique as mere personal attacks, then feel free to go on with your idiocy. Just don't go infecting others with it

(25 Feb 15, 10:45AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: Then you may realize that there's little to zero coherence in all that hot air he is spitting at people. I just had an arguement with him and I lost count of how often he didn't make a point, but just startet to pull something unrelated out of thin air trying to make one look like someone who has no clue. Seriously, it's all up there. Try to make sense out of his replies and try to read it without all that bias going on against so-called veterans...

Once again A+ student with masterful English comprehension skills, do you have the mental capacity to undertake the daunting intellectual endeavor of backing your crap up? To be more specific, what exactly are these posts of his that you so boldly claim to have "zero to little coherence"? Are you sure you aren't just projecting your own incapability to understand basic English? Also, with how you're going as to describing the arguments you've had with him now, aren't you also making him out to be "someone who has no clue"? I know that you're so astute that you probably shouldn't even bother pinpointing exactly what his logical inconsistencies are, but for the sake of us incompetent idiots, can you so conveniently provide me some quotes? :)

Indeed, it's all up there, so it shouldn't be much of a problem for someone of such stupendous intellect. I'm very sure that with your mental capabilities and whatnot, if even you cannot make sense out of his replies; then obviously that must mean he's an absolute vegetable in regards to brain functionality, right? I do not know what exactly this "ongoing bias for so-called veterans" you speak of is, but I'm sure that whatever you say has to be true. I mean, it's not like you're conveniently pulling out logical fallacies out of your ass to make up for your incapability to actually argue. Oh no, you're too good a thinker for that.

(25 Feb 15, 10:45AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: He believes that he is the only one around smart enough to see the truth! He even admitted that he consideres himself to be the best/only leader (or may I say "Führer") for this game. Open your eyes people. That boy has some serious issues. Messiah-Complex comes to mind when reading stuff like he was the only one who could save AC. Holy shit... doesn't this ring a bell?

Woah there, your majesty. Even with your advanced state of neurological functionality, don't you think that you're overstepping your bounds to even dare bring up complicated topics such as the "truth"? Doesn't your field of expertise mainly revolve around composing and retorting to arguments in a fashion that disregards the thoughts of others, since you're so far above the rest? We should feel honored to even read your posts! But I really think that you're better off in kindergarten, the only place where you can seek your equal in intelligence, even academic excellence. Please forgive us for being so inadequate!

How dare he insult this magnificent development team by claiming to be capable of solving non-existent issues that are currently plaguing this AAA class game, Assault Cube. Can't any of you see that this Undead guy is only capable of providing thoughtful critiques about the game's state, which is so needless when we consider that it's the top quality E-SPORTS shooter Assault Cube, wherein everybody who's stupid enough to take this game competitively is also stupid enough to notice that there are only two viable weapons, the impossibly difficult to aim hitscan weapons AR and last but not the least, real man weapon called the SUB-FUCKING MACHINE GUN.

He's contributed maps but, so what? He's one of the top players and has invested enough time into actually playing the game and has been praised by many others, even Waffles, for his brilliance, but so what? How does he and many others who are into the competitive scene even matter? Those competitive players are more into the game but so WHAT if they are if they can't even CONTRIBUTE? HE CAN'T EVEN CODE lol what a [deleted by gren]. Doing is harder than saying but let's ban him anyways which will make him incapable of contributing since his critique of the current state of development is too much to bear for our fragile but truly capable developer of many great things STEF. Let's all celebrate the banishment of a mere heretic and rejoice in knowing that our one and only God Stef is here to truly protect Assault Cube from all harm and detrimental forms of development.

Did I also forget to mention that YOU ARE A DELUSIONAL [deleted by gren]?

"Just think about it once. Only once for a second. Thank you."

Don't encourage others to do something that you can't even do.

Once again, you are a [deleted by gren]
Thanks given by:
Call me whatever you want and try to make me look like whatever you want. The way you talk down from your high horse probably tells more about yourself here...

However, it's not going to change that Undead and the likes are poisen for this community and nothing about AC will  improve while fighting against the active developers. That's basically the bottom line here. This is no rocket sience and even with some typos anyone should be capable to comprehend. Sorry if my English is giving you so much pain, but I'm not here to satisify you anyways. So deal with it, or leave it.

You could have left this personal attacks asside and just posted a link to where I can have an insight on Undead's vision.
Thanks given by:
Following post from Undead:
@Mr.Floppy: i know you think you're cute trying to slander me while i'm banned, but there are other methods.

Quote:Then you may realize that there's little to zero coherence in all that hot air he is spitting at people. I just had an arguement with him and I lost count of how often he didn't make a point, but just startet to pull something unrelated out of thin air trying to make one look like someone who has no clue.

no, that is just what it looks like to you. anyone who can read properly can see that you simply have no clue what you're talking about. i speak truthfully and i don't embellish anything. the fact of the matter is that you, and the developers as well, have absolutely zero clue on how to fix AC. banning me and writing a slanderous post doesn't make you correct. time has instead proven me correct, and will continue to prove me correct.

Quote:He believes that he is the only one around smart enough to see the truth!

hardly. or else i wouldn't be receiving more support than you are. other people can see how badly the devs have screwed up, and how they won't be able to fix their mess without some outside assistance.

Quote:He even admitted that he consideres himself to be the best/only leader (or may I say "Führer") for this game.

of course, the german thinks that any leader must be an intensely autocratic fuhrer. bug fixes and cubescript/mapping commands won't fix AC, neither will removing the -1 flag for suiciding in htf. AC requires direction, and in the absence of anyone else providing that sense of direction, i can sacrifice my own free time to do it.

Quote:Open your eyes people. That boy has some serious issues. Messiah-Complex comes to mind when reading stuff like he was the only one who could save AC. Holy shit... doesn't this ring a bell?

and now we're resorting to insults based on my psychological character? lets be real, lucas and stef are both far more psychologically deranged than i could ever be.

Quote:In my opinion, this game has lost a lot of it's fun and community when exzjemvill-styled crap maps, bs_dust 24/7 servers and ignorant wannabes like that OP took over.

so, the time when the community was the most active and enjoying itself the most was the time when it lost its fun and community? does this not sound like the ravings of a lunatic? thats because it is. "everyone else is having fun, so lets tell them to fuck off and enjoy our own elitist circle-jerk". <- the mantra of the dev team.

Quote:The decline you are pointing at today has actually happend after that turn, when those loosly gamers that didn't gave a dime about what AC really is

you can barely aim your mouse, and you've barely played competitive play. and then, you think you have the audacity to talk about 'real AC'. don't try it.

Quote:and a lot of the 'old' playerbase was gone already.

and why did that playerbase disappear? i know the answer, but i'd love it if ANYONE could tell me why that is.

Quote:which the newer guys are celebrating

for christs sake, i've played just as long as you, and i've probably put more hours in too.

Quote:By the way, I never saw Undead giving concrete ideas, just that he had them all. Is there a place I can find his vision? I honestly wish to know.

because you don't read properly. you hear what you want to hear, nothing else. your understanding of AC is at such a low level that you're blinded to the reality of the situation.

Quote:However, it doesn't help this game at all if we have one guy proclaiming his enlightment and just fighting against that last few developers that actually can code/map/model/maintain servers/host services.

those 'last few developers' are fighting me, and always have been fighting me. they don't want anyone to tell them what to do. they just want to write shitty cubescript features and ac_toxic reworks, instead of creating much wider changes.

Quote:Nobody can be that stubborn to believe that one weird'o who can't even code will change anything about any computer programm

you don't need to be a coder to write out what needs to change in AC. get it through your head. that is precisely why there are people on the development team who can't code, and have other uses. a person leading development does not necessarily have to be a coder.

Quote:Where do you think he'll get coders from that translate his visions into executables.

a lack of contributors is hardly the issue in AC. the issue is that there isn't anyone to direct their efforts properly.

Quote:Which leads to the question, why he doesn't already take those coders together and creates his own fork?

because i want to develop AC, and developing an AC fork cannot be as successful as simply working on AC.

@grenadier

Quote:It gives me duty, right and possibility to do that, if somebody works so much  against the project and people working hard on it. Sorry, I care too much about this game, so I can't do otherwise.

lets be real, you don't care about AC, and you have zero right to ban me, considering i have contributed far more than you, and have the potential to contribute far more than you.

@devs
its 2015. AC is down the shitter, instead of going in the opposite direction. year by year, it has become worse and worse, with no signs of improvement. i know exactly what the problems are, and what needs to be done to rectify them. if you want to fix AC, swallow your pride, and try listening for once. if you don't want to do that, then obviously i can't be involved in your project, and AC will continue on its current trajectory until its completely devoid of life.

Thanks given by:
Sorry I have to say that. YOUR PUNISHMENT SYSTEM (WARNING POINTS) DOES NOT WORK.

Only what you will get is empty this forum as is happening with the game.
Managing people is not the same as managing code.
And yes, addressing issues such as the Haxjump is important.
Thanks given by:
Dude, lay off of Floppy. You need to learn your place little man. Dude, mods? Where are the warning points? lol, no seriously another al3rt and shit, wtf is wrong with you? Consider trying much harder to get laid and chill.
Thanks given by:
Okay friends. 24 hours for you guys remove posts that are off topic here. Do it because it is important to keep this forum objective and clean.

Do it or I'll have to apply the  rules of punishment that we have in this forum :(  and it does not please me at all.
Thank you and happy flags.
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 15, 01:55PM)Andrej Wrote: "Also I think "Mise" broke rule nr 26 I think he should get other 50% warining
@Andej: Well i guess you like [deleted by gren].
Well, all i wanted to prove is that you should not ban players within this small community who want to make a difference. Some points undead makes could actually be beneficial to the community. You do not have to know code to make a difference. I also believe AC needs direction, and a joint effort from devs as well as experienced players in order to improve the game. Moreover, if i am banned for this, it just reveals more of your character.
Thanks given by:
Which points undead made ? can you quote ?
Do you know what undead did everytime someone actually did something in this game? he tried to ruin it. Thats what he /did/. Analyze facts, not the bs he writes here.

I know what should be done. I enjoyed the game in many different ways. I've played it for a long time. I know whats failing. I know the problems and the assetsof this game.
I know that fixing all this would require a lot of time and cooperation.
Who's willing to spend this time ? I'm trying. I'm happy of what we came with already thanks to Drakas. But Undead, Larry etc. are trying to kill all this work, again. for the 65866th time. And those who don't do anything, are still supporting them, on the forums. Its crazy. And thats why devs don't wantto spend theirtime and money onthis game.
Thanks given by:
There are different areas of contribution but apparently, all the willing contributors get is "gime a fork over at github or no". this deluded people like Floppy so much that they compose sentences like this

"Nobody can be that stubborn to believe that one weird'o who can't even code will change anything about any computer programm"

the result is a useless parrot who doesn't think but somehow believes that his posts are so important that they will talk dogshit about a player who is banned from posting. do you call this moderation
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 15, 02:11PM)G1gantuan Wrote: i tink intelligence is in reading properley
Why? We are not all American and speak english flutently. I think u need to think of what is intelligent and not thx. Is easy to talk but where is the work? I can say " I know how to cure starvation and make world peace swollow pride and make me president I will show you " this is reasonable?

(25 Feb 15, 02:20PM)Mise Wrote: @Andej: Well i guess you like sucking dick.
I have read ur very offensive PM I will not post in public becus is not way to go but all I think is: OK and ur in relationship with Undead? Lol
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 15, 02:25PM)G1gantuan Wrote: There are different areas of contribution but apparently, all the willing contributors get is "gime a fork over at github or no". this deluded people like Floppy so much that they compose sentences like this

"Nobody can be that stubborn to believe that one weird'o who can't even code will change anything about any computer programm"

the result is a useless parrot who doesn't think but somehow believes that his posts are so important that they will talk dogshit about a player who is banned from posting. do you call this moderation

Where were you when Undead harrassed me, pwnage, and other members of the community ? Yes, find him excuses. It will really make us feel like working for you even more.
Thanks given by:
Too bad you guys have continued with this ...

ok then. You will be unable to post for a few days. PM will be available for you to continue to talk there.
You will not be banned, but will have a few days to take a shower.
:(

*mod by a forum member

reason;

This very oftopic.
Try to create a new thread for this subject.
Thanks given by:
Don't delete the thread, don't delete the posts, but you may as well lock the thread since half the people who were coherently participating in it have been banned now, and probably won't be unbanned until the thread auto-locks itself in three months anyway.
I think this whole "we're serving you and get abused we're the victims lalala" is stupid too.

There probably isn't any real reward for being a developer unless your ego is so fragile that you enjoy getting compliments from completely random people you'll never meet via an internet forum, and there certainly isn't money in it unless you're stealing from the AC donations or something lol. We're not expecting you to bend over backwards and code all the shit every last person wants, neither are we expecting you to invest a substantial amount of your personal time into the game - what is expected is simply basic respect between the players and developers, and by banning those you don't wish to hear from because they criticise your work, you're breaching that unspoken respect which should be omnipresent.

I'm gonna stick my bollocks out on the line here and say it: no matter how much you know about coding, please don't pretend that you understand the game more than those who have played it regularly for years simply because you personally dislike these people because they've aired their concerns when something is wrong. If you really care about AC, putting these stupid squabbles aside and finding a solution that pleases the playerbase and the developers alike is pivotal - without either group the game would be absolutely nothing, and if either group tries to suggest the opposite they're blinded by their grossly overinflated sense of self-worth.

If the players and the devs can't collaborate in a civil manner (yes this thread isn't how it's supposed to be done) that also works (don't tell someone who can't code to submit code) then it will just continue dying. I've only been in this game since mid-1.1, and I can notice an extreme difference between the active playerbase then and the active playerbase now. It's just not something you can shut your eyes to and pretend it'll go away, it's something that needs to be fixed.

(25 Feb 15, 02:26PM)Andrej Wrote: Why? We are not all American and speak english flutently.

Americans don't even speak english fluently. They randomly swap the letter "s" for the letter "z" in certain words, and they even have their own words like "y'all" and "gah-dangit".

(25 Feb 15, 01:28PM)Boomhauer Wrote: lol, no seriously another al3rt and shit

You don't even know al3rt, stop bringing him up in posts. stay calm and you'll live longer.

Totally done with this thread now. fak.
Thanks given by:
I want to lurk more amidst these forums to learn more about the history of AC but my connection is very crap much like what Floppy has said thus far.
But I do know for a fact that Undead has demonstrated to be capable many times even if he was infamous, notorious back then for being a mischievous bitch.
Only the weak would bring up the past to undermine the current intentions of a player. I'm not giving him excuses; you're the only one here looking for that.
As he said, even if he is still a mischievous bitch, as of now he's mostly a cynical bitch. He has devoted himself to work for this game and I think Larry has too and you won't convince me that these are bullshit as well. I'll analyze these so called facts if you present them (along with evidence of course)

EDIT:

my internet is very unstable so my posts are delayed
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 15, 02:25PM)G1gantuan Wrote: There are different areas of contribution but apparently, all the willing contributors get is "gime a fork over at github or no". this deluded people like Floppy so much that they compose sentences like this

Well, I probably wasn't precise enough on that part. Here you go: '... one weird'o alone by himself ...'. I'm sorry about that, but one could have concluded what I was trying to say. The point is, who are the willing contributors that are going to support Undead with programming? ... and still what is Undead's vision?

Why he makes such a big mystery of it? Write it down and put it up to discussion for everyone. Until then there's nothing to talk about.

G1gantuan, I honestly have no need to prove my intellect to some random guys on the internet. You have wasted so much time on trying to make me look stupid, while not making a single point about assault cube. Sorry, but I'm not at all impressed by your attempts here and too old for this bullshit. Grow up and understand that some smart talking folks will not get the job done. At the end of the day someone has to do the work and somehow I doubt it's going to be you or Undead.

However, enjoy your quest. I'm off then.
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 15, 02:56PM)Vanquish Wrote: huge amount of bullshit
Its not that i don't like undead because he doesn't agree with me. I don't like undead because he literally harassed me. You can't see that ? OK, then gtfo.

If you think Undeads post are a contribution, you're completely wrong. I've done things i didn't agree with several times in the game. The recent coding i've put into the matchclient is an excellent example. But to build it i had discussions with smart and constructive people who knows how to make a project evolve. They proved me i was wrong on some points by providing proper arguments (not screwing my work) and providing a detailed alternative. You have no idea how to do that, neither does Undead. You have never done it in the past.

The "devs refuse help" excuse is brought here quite often and its still completely wrong. Accept that you are not competent to help, not just because you don't have the ability to code, but also because you pretend what you are posting here are suggestions while obviously they are not.

Look. If i try to do something, before i can even reveal our own plans, i get attacked for stupid reasons, and people react in a very selfish manner (like Larry did). Its ridiculous. Spent days working, and see people reaction. Now you understand what you have to deal with everytime to commit into a project around this game. If you think Undead cares about this game, you are wrong. He cares about the forums because he likes contradiction. Thats all he is bringing. He made good people leave already. You want the last people who actually try to leave as well ? It seems to me thats what you are trying to do.

If you think its about the ego, it means you do'nt want to see the truth. I don't care if people are not thanksful; I care if they spit at me and my work, like UNdead, larry and their friends. Its a shame to do that, and its what theydo all the time. But you find it normal. You think, since i work on some projects, i have to make sure you are happy with everything, immediately. YOu think i have to accept that some people attack all this work. Good, excellent. Thats how you encourage people to spend even more time on these things, for sure.
Thanks given by:
There can be server side switch -servertype [c|p|m]
c: server for cooperative mapping and testing all kinds of maps from previous versions, no map restrictions, automatic triggering setting after connecting
p: server with defined maprot, no uploading maps
m: only match mode, in client trigerring client side statistics etc.
Then MasterServer can play new role, for example balancing the offer of types of server. There are the posibilities to fullfil wishes of more sides ...
Thanks given by:
(24 Feb 15, 06:49PM)Luc@s Wrote: The "devs refuse help" excuse is brought here quite often and its still completely wrong.

The devs don't foster help, though.
Thanks given by:
(24 Feb 15, 03:16PM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: Finally, I can't help but think that the regular pub player has become the real minority. Ah,... no. It's called elitist group in that case.
Yeah, you guys really got your principles straight.
Official maps were chosen by an elitist group, not by the players who regularly play the game, that's just facts lol

(24 Feb 15, 05:27PM)stef Wrote: He is here to be cheered at by little kids, who think, he is cool, "fighting the man".
Have you considered the fact that we can agree with someone who disagrees with you simply because we share the same opinion as he does, or because his points makes more sense than yours. It doesn't have to be a fan or dick-sucking contest...

(24 Feb 15, 04:49PM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: I don't even get where you're heading. On the one hand you argue for the competive game beeing the real game
There is no real game, that's what your missing. The players who make the game alive, are those who make the game what it is. Whether it's by submitting new maps, ideas, modes or any other goofy stuffs. By trying to correct AC back the "the real game it's supposed to be" you're only frustrating more and more people which results in a massive diminution of the playerbase.

Now that's not something I enjoy doing because I don't particularly have good feelings towards Undead for variousreasons. However, after reading all of the posts from this thread, I can't help but quote all the things I whole-heartedly agree with.
Undead Wrote:lets be real: if i joined the development team, and you left, AC would be better off.
is that why you're so afraid to include me?
Yes, it is true. His ideas and analysis of the problem is correct and corresponds to the problem players have been pointing out for almost 2 years now. The development team is actively trying to make things change, but they're not putting efforts into the right things. (which is a waste of their time too)

(24 Feb 15, 06:33PM)Undead Wrote: i don't have the coding knowledge to implement what needs to be implemented.
And it's the same for many of us who still care enough about the game to post on those threads. The fact that you're capable of coding and part of the development team does not make your opinion, analysis or ideas better than those who are part of the community only.

(24 Feb 15, 06:33PM)Undead Wrote: which is where i come in. the developers have never made the correct decisions, and there is little point in having talented coders if they're wasting their time.
however, if you simply prove what has always happened in the past, on many, many repeated occasions, and simply ignore the reality of the situation, then AC will just continue on its path.
Exactly.

(24 Feb 15, 06:26PM)Luc@s Wrote: Bah. It's easier to talk on the forums.
It's not easy to prove your point about improving/saving the game to a group of people who are reluctant to ideas that differ from theirs.
(24 Feb 15, 07:12PM)Undead Wrote: for real, everyone on this forum knows that its an ego thing. you don't want to let undead in the door because its undead. otherwise, at the very least, i would have a position for mapping by now, rather than RK.
Although said in a pretty arrogant way, and despite the fact that he probably behaved wrong in the past, the fact that it is in fact Undead pointing out those things, would make you 20x more butthurt to admit he's right.
(24 Feb 15, 08:32PM)Undead Wrote: right, but bugs are hardly the reason for the decline in AC's popularity. just because people are complaining doesn't mean its that large of an issue. the hax jump is hardly an issue really, it has only really affected competitive play. i will be completely honest; the developers have been incredibly good at dealing with bugs/cheaters considering their lack of resources. which should tell you that bugs aren't the issue here.
now, terrible decisions and indecisiveness, those are the real reasons for AC going to shit.
Again, and again, this is so true.
(24 Feb 15, 09:09PM)Undead Wrote: here is why it wont work:
firstly, very few competitive players actually enjoy 1.2's gameplay. its terrible, and i can go into extreme detail as to why its terrible, but it will go over your head.
secondly, the hi-skill ladder was good, but mis-managed. if you and drakas manage a new hi-skill ladder, it will go the same way as the former, as well as the TyD and BoB ones. there is nothing special about that ladder in comparison to the others, as it relied on the intense popularity of AC at the time for its success (you don't recall how pubs were 10x as full as they are today?). it is a useful tool for retaining players, but a far more useful tool would be a central ladder implemented into AC.
thirdly, intense, almost irreparable damage has been inflicted on AC's player base through mismanagement. you have to think about how you can either a) bring those players back and/or b) develop a new solid player base. your project will only have a minimal effect, as AC itself will still be the same horrible game.
enfin, you don't even understand how that damage has been done. i can explain it to you in terms that i think you will understand:
1) weapon balance shifts between 1.0>1.1(especially this shift) and 1.1>1.2 disillusioned large proportions of the player base. it is absolutely vital that you achieve the correct balance before you embark on projects such as this. this is of a very high priority.
2) the implementation of map restrictions caused large numbers of people to quit AC. map restrictions do not work, i don't even have to go into detail about this because almost the entire community agrees with me, aside from the devs ofc.
this also leads to my next point: the developers are obsessed with creating 'model players', who don't complain and play their 8vs8 ac_shine ctf as their told. stop this attitude today please. in the past it was rationalized as 'well, we don't need those players because they don't "get" AC'. well, look now, now nobody wants to play AC, because the current fucking developers don't get AC either and have created their own abomination.
3) a lack of direction in the project has meant that AC hasn't used its 2008-2009 momentum to surge in popularity, but rather, has moved in the opposite direction. especially around ESL times, there was the potential for AC to develop into a much more popular game, but the team lacked the initiative to take AC in that direction, mainly because they didn't understand exactly why AC was popular.
i can tell you exactly why it was: AC was fun. you could do as you wanted, and if you wanted to play the game in a certain way, you could. you could play gemas/stupid fucking ezjemvil if you pleased, play on ladders, play clan matches, etc. etc. the point is, there was a
instead of using this appeal to pool together resources and move AC in an even better, more enjoyable direction, it has instead receded due to incompetent and neglectful leadership. would you like to repeat the same mistakes of the past, and head down the path of brahma, or would you instead prefer to chance fixing the mistakes of the past and make AC work?
Here. Most of his ideas and contribution, in one post. Read it carefully, and you'll recognize most of the things, we, the players, mentioned times and times again as of why the game was dying/ would die.
Although it is not a contribution on GitHub, you should definitely consider those points to recenter the work and projects that AC needs to kickback.
Or else you could being stubborn, ignore it, and continue implementing things that will not solve AC's biggest problem and the most worrying for a game : the lack of players

(25 Feb 15, 10:45AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: About the arrogant and egocentric personality of Undead
I agree with you on some points, ofc, Undead is not perfect, nobody praises him that way. But he does point out some good points. The way he behaves or come off has very little to due with the fact that he's write about why the game is dying.
He may be an egocentric prick, but he has been constantly been showing and explaining why the game was failing, when many other players gave up and quit the game (that includes me, since I barely post anymore)

Undead Wrote:@devs
its 2015. AC is down the shitter, instead of going in the opposite direction. year by year, it has become worse and worse, with no signs of improvement. i know exactly what the problems are, and what needs to be done to rectify them. if you want to fix AC, swallow your pride, and try listening for once. if you don't want to do that, then obviously i can't be involved in your project, and AC will continue on its current trajectory until its completely devoid of life.
harsh but true...

(25 Feb 15, 02:56PM)Vanquish Wrote: I think this whole "we're serving you and get abused we're the victims lalala" is stupid too.
There probably isn't any real reward for being a developer unless your ego is so fragile that you enjoy getting compliments from completely random people you'll never meet via an internet forum, and there certainly isn't money in it unless you're stealing from the AC donations or something lol. We're not expecting you to bend over backwards and code all the shit every last person wants, neither are we expecting you to invest a substantial amount of your personal time into the game - what is expected is simply basic respect between the players and developers, and by banning those you don't wish to hear from because they criticise your work, you're breaching that unspoken respect which should be omnipresent.
I'm gonna stick my bollocks out on the line here and say it: no matter how much you know about coding, please don't pretend that you understand the game more than those who have played it regularly for years simply because you personally dislike these people because they've aired their concerns when something is wrong. If you really care about AC, putting these stupid squabbles aside and finding a solution that pleases the playerbase and the developers alike is pivotal - without either group the game would be absolutely nothing, and if either group tries to suggest the opposite they're blinded by their grossly overinflated sense of self-worth.
If the players and the devs can't collaborate in a civil manner (yes this thread isn't how it's supposed to be done) that also works (don't tell someone who can't code to submit code) then it will just continue dying. I've only been in this game since mid-1.1, and I can notice an extreme difference between the active playerbase then and the active playerbase now. It's just not something you can shut your eyes to and pretend it'll go away, it's something that needs to be fixed.
This post really should be refered to, it regroups both opinion in a (somewhat) peaceful way, gg Vanq.

(25 Feb 15, 04:47PM)Luc@s Wrote: If you think Undeads post are a contribution, you're completely wrong.
How ? Care to explain?
(25 Feb 15, 04:47PM)Luc@s Wrote: The "devs refuse help" excuse is brought here quite often and its still completely wrong. Accept that you are not competent to help, not just because you don't have the ability to code, but also because you pretend what you are posting here are suggestions while obviously they are not.
And who is judging who is competent enough or not atm ? Developpers
So basically, developers are not asking for help but they're open to any kind of help coming from someone who they judge is competent enough for them to consider what he has to say.
Now in your system, there is something that can appear to be a loop or a closed circle in which, no one can enter unless he's accepted by the elitist devs (which is why Undead's ideas are completely overlooked)
If you took most "repeatedly mentioned"suggestions in account, you would maybe have a better picture of what the game needs and what projects needs to be prioritized. Clearly I don't think the priority is a ladder or a hax-jump fix. It is not the reason why AC is dead right now...
And if you still wonder what are the reasons, it's been mentionned about 5 times in this thread alone (mainly by Undead btw)

(25 Feb 15, 04:47PM)Luc@s Wrote: If you think its about the ego, it means you do'nt want to see the truth. I don't care if people are not thanksful; I care if they spit at me and my work, like UNdead, larry and their friends. Its a shame to do that, and its what theydo all the time. But you find it normal. You think, since i work on some projects, i have to make sure you are happy with everything, immediately. YOu think i have to accept that some people attack all this work. Good, excellent. Thats how you encourage people to spend even more time on these things, for sure.
I can understand that it's hard to accept criticism for something you've put work into, and especially when it comes from people who frankly do not match your skills in coding or programming. But hey, that's what forums are like, everyone brings a bit of what they know and think. Not every opinion is the best, but every one of them should be considered, especially since the game is in a "crisis" mode at the moment. I don't think the development team necessarly lacks great coders because I'm sure you are all very competent in that matter. But coding stuff that isn't essential to AC's rebirth is pointless.

What (i think), the game needs is a clear list of the state of the game, the reasons why, the solutions we could bring, and the actual means what we (all together) need to accomplish to make this project work.

Though I'm afraid this war between the dev and the community is going to be hard (if not impossible to stop) because it has gone too far. Without pointing fingers, I do think that a development team should be able to keep a good communication with the game's community, even through some trolls. But how can a good communication happens when everytime there's an argument, it is solved with warning points and bans ? That's literally what dictatorship sounds like, and it's the best way to make a community be either afraid or hostile to the ones that "hold" the power and could be considered a power abuse too.

Not sure how my post can solve things, but I thought it might bring some light as off what to do in this sticky situation...
Thanks given by:
You guys never get tired of being the Sisyphus of AC.
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 15, 11:04PM)Waffles Wrote: There are many examples of suggestions the player-base has brought up and have not been implemented.

A few examples:
      *Pause feature

i did implement it, you refused to try it.
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 15, 10:50PM)DamDam Wrote: [...]
the best i can say to prove undead is not even contributing is : i could tell the same thing he did. actually his post is right regarding many problems in AC, but... its still not suggestions. When the time comes to act, the commentators run away. And they wait for something to be done to ruin whats been done (e.g. the matchclient).
Its not even about agreeing or not.
And i can take criticism, but for example if you take the match client, again, because its a good example of this problem with the community, well, i have waited for criticisms and got none except bullshit remarks.
Thanks given by:
I accidentally posted that and then deleted it before it was finished. I don't consider a non-open source version of an implementation a new feature. Fork away good sir and good on you, but until those changes (which are good) are properly implemented in the game and we have access to the source I am not interested. Not because it is bad or a waste, but because that is the anti-thesis of free.

Waffledit: In fear of sounding like a "fanboi" I'll try and word this carefully. Banning of one of the longest returning and most active players (undead) serves to only further the disenfranchisement of those players you have left that actually do understand the game.

Cliche' einstein quote inbound:

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

we (i use 'we' as a large collective and I only wish to speak for those who can't speak for themselves atm or agree with me) have been systematically shunned for the most part as dullards. At some point it would be wise to take the people who understand the game from a end-user perpective into account. AC is like the IE of the fps world atm.
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 15, 11:40PM)Waffles Wrote: I accidentally posted that and then deleted it before it was finished. I don't consider a non-open source version of an implementation a new feature. Fork away good sir and good on you, but until those changes (which are good) are properly implemented in the game and we have access to the source I am not interested. Not because it is bad or a waste, but because that is the anti-thesis of free.

If it was coming from someone else you would have probably tried it. I don't think you're being honest here.
And i'm not going to commit something to the game if the other devs are against it. Want it to happen ? Test my client, so we can see if you like the implementation, beforeit gets merged.
Thanks given by:
I'd be more than happy (even eager) to test it if I could see what was contained therein. If you don't consider me honest allow me to shed some light on my change in opinion regarding your client.

I was inactive from the game for an extended (I say extended maybe 2 weeks?) shortly after I posted on your announcement thread where I said I would test it. After my post I began working a new job where I do indeed work in some minor software developement. I became interested in the idea of free software and found my personal views align with that of countless philosophers/computer scientists. I then changed my opinion within a vacuum of ac and now have brought that new experience here. Before you claim to know, please try and understand before you insult my character (the same thing you accuse undead of doing). I hope this has shed some light.

My main question would be why isn't this code open? I simply wish to understand your view as I think the features you've coded are essential and would love to be involved in their implementation.
Thanks given by: