ac_archives
ac_archives By Z3R0

[Image: 20150118_03_08_34_ac_archives_CTF.png]

[Image: 20150118_03_10_57_ac_archives_CTF.png]

[Image: 20150118_03_11_08_ac_archives_CTF.png]

[Image: mapshot_ac_archives_20150118_03_15_12.png]

Akimbo Link

Tried to create a map with more focus on gameplay than I previously would. Avoided the narrow spaces and masses of mapmodels I normally use, should hopefully be fun. Thanks.
Thanks given by:
dope map, better than 99% of the others out there.

however, criticism:
- having 8 hp spawns is excessive. 6 should be the maximum honestly.
- lighting kills my eyes in some places, but the places where you use the rose tint are amazing
- armour spawns on the flanks need to be a few cubes closer to the center of the path, or else the gameplay is slowed down too much.
- needs to be more opportunities on the map to use double jump mechanics, which has the added benefit of speeding up gameplay more. you can do this by adding scenery that is 3 cubes + in height, or by bringing down some of the arches so that they can be double jumped off, or by adding single step stairs/ramps that can be double jumped off, etc.
- not so much criticism, but even though usually having only 2 entrances to a base is bad, i think you've done it in a way that might not actually be bullshit and could work properly.
- you should modify some of the textures/mapmodels to be more 'gritty' so that they fit the AC theme better.
Thanks given by:
Thank you, very much.

I've updated the package on Akimbo with some changes.

Removed two HP, the two that were in corridors alongside the central room.
Moved the Kevlar closer, and dimmed some lights. I actually had to redo the lights because they were brighter before, maybe my screens a little too dark.

(18 Jan 15, 05:20AM)Undead Wrote: - needs to be more opportunities on the map to use double jump mechanics, which has the added benefit of speeding up gameplay more. you can do this by adding scenery that is 3 cubes + in height, or by bringing down some of the arches so that they can be double jumped off, or by adding single step stairs/ramps that can be double jumped off, etc.
- not so much criticism, but even though usually having only 2 entrances to a base is bad, i think you've done it in a way that might not actually be bullshit and could work properly.
- you should modify some of the textures/mapmodels to be more 'gritty' so that they fit the AC theme better.

I'm not sure what you mean by bringing down arches to jump off them, but I'll see what I can do. There is a table in the middle that you can use to jump to the akimbo though, which is kinda cool.
I didn't actually know that two exits was bad, ahaha, guess I'll look out for that next time. Glad this one turned out ok then.
I'll also look into the textures, but I think the map looks quite nice being cleaner and brighter than normal.
Thanks given by:
(18 Jan 15, 06:27AM)Z3R0 Wrote: I didn't actually know that two exits was bad, ahaha, guess I'll look out for that next time. Glad this one turned out ok then.

it generally is when it constricts gameplay. think depot's bases and outpost CLA base. this doesn't suffer from the same issues because it immediately leads into three paths that then intertwine.

(18 Jan 15, 06:27AM)Z3R0 Wrote: I'll also look into the textures, but I think the map looks quite nice being cleaner and brighter than normal.

i suppose its personal preference; i just like AC maps when they're grimey.

i'd like to also say that i can't immediately recognize every issue from running through the map; you'd probably learn alot more about the map from getting it played in inters/3vs3s.
Thanks given by:
Ah, I get you. Normally I'd mess the map up more before release, but I also end up spamming mapmodels and filling up space when I do that, which ruins gameplay completely. Just tried to avoid that really.
Thanks given by:
who looks exactly like harry potter. played it too :)
Thanks given by:
Is this your castle map for the contest? :o
Thanks given by:
Was thinking that I could enter it, but it's not very castle-like, I'd get low marks on theme. I'll probably make another map for the contest.
Thanks given by:
Nice map! Great work done!
Thanks given by:
Well if it is not a castle, tell me what it is. :p
Great map from the screenshots, I did not check it yet and I will very soon, and I really like the map layouts, certainly because it's a rotational symmetry and because of this:

[Image: mapshot_ac_archives_20150118_03_15_12.png]
[Image: gameplay.jpg]
(^the old WIP I gave up a while ago)
Thanks given by:
ITS FUCKING SYMMETRICAL WOO

i like the map alot, its nice and fresh yet still adheres to the grit and grime of ac
Thanks given by: Orynge
(19 Jan 15, 01:57AM)ExodusS Wrote: Great map from the screenshots, I did not check it yet and I will very soon, and I really like the map layouts, certainly because it's a rotational symmetry and because of this:

Thanks. That's actually really similar, looking at it. Hopefully it'll play well then, ahah.

(23 Jan 15, 01:17AM)Cemer Wrote: ITS FUCKING SYMMETRICAL WOO

i like the map alot, its nice and fresh yet still adheres to the grit and grime of ac

Thank you. I seem to have adopted the symmetrical map as my style now, I'm not great at balanced gameplay, so it's better if it's symmetrical.
Thanks given by: