Nazi server?
It's crap anyway I get horrible ping
Thanks given by:
Basically, no one should even care, except, as you noted, it offends people.

No, there is no direct harm caused to any individual directly, though maybe to your own reputation for being intentionally provocative and then questioning the response. But, hey, it's your time to waste how you choose.

However, I would argue that, as much as you have the right to offend others, others have the right to respond in the fashion they so choose.
No where does it say anyone has to put up with offenses and provocation in their online activities.

So as much as you have the right to name yourself what you will, others have an equal right to be offended and ban you.
For you, the argument may be that you feel that is abuse to ban you or to block certain names from being used, but it is tit-for-tat - as you don't care that you are offending other people around you.
So this is just an endless repetition of null arguments that are only based on opinion anyway.

If the parties responsible for maintaining the Masterserver configuration decide that your server name constitutes an offense, they have the right to block it from their service.
Right, wrong, or indifferent - Everyone has a right to their opinion, and free will dictates that people can respond in whatever way they choose.

The events surrounding the duration of Hitler's leadership undoubtedly changed the entire world, in varying ways.
It is of great consideration that many people still fear any association with the name Hitler - and you recognize this and use it to create attention where there is none, knowing that it will lead to some level of provocation.

So it is a two-way street - You know it will offend people, so you do it. People get offended, and insult you. You mock and belittle them.

And now you wonder why someone hasn't come forth with the volumes of literature that it would be necessary to write to get you to understand what, in the end, you already know.

I would be happy to write books on the matter to satisfy your intellectual desires, Undead. But, by my calculations for time alone, I would require somewhere around $253,499.83 USD to compensate my time in this endeavor (per book ofc).
I would be happy to begin work on an initial manuscript for a 10% forward fee of that sum that would be considered an initial payment of the total sum upon completion of the final copy.
I also estimate this work would take approximately eleven separate volumes, at maximum publishable binding size, on at least double-sized pages, in order to encompass the topic in it's entirety.
Let me know when you are ready to transfer initial payment if you are interested.
Also, I ask to negotiate a ~5% royalty commission for all sales made from the publication.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.
We look forward to hearing from you and we look forward to doing business with you in the near future...

Happy New Year!
Thanks given by:
(31 Dec 14, 04:59PM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: I would be happy to write books on the matter to satisfy your intellectual desires, Undead. But, by my calculations for time alone, I would require somewhere around $253,499.83 USD to compensate my time in this endeavor (per book ofc).
I would be happy to begin work on an initial manuscript for a 10% forward fee of that sum that would be considered an initial payment of the total sum upon completion of the final copy.
I also estimate this work would take approximately eleven separate volumes, at maximum publishable binding size, on at least double-sized pages, in order to encompass the topic in it's entirety.
Let me know when you are ready to transfer initial payment if you are interested.
Also, I ask to negotiate a ~5% royalty commission for all sales made from the publication.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.
We look forward to hearing from you and we look forward to doing business with you in the near future...

Happy New Year!

can i donate
Thanks given by:
ftr undead i wasnt commenting about you finding it ridiculous, more that you stated only germany has explicit laws against nazi references. i know you always do your research but you shouldve done slightly more research about this.

some quote i found about someone talking about this subject:

"We agree that freedom of speech and right for self-expression are ones of the rights each and every democracy should promote, but what the oppositions fails to understand that these rights are not unlimited. The case with the right for self defense is quite similar – the value of life is the most important right every person should have, but nevertheless we limit the right to self defense to certain extent, because we believe that these rights should be perceived as how the whole society sees them, not how every individual would like to see it in order for people not abusing these rights. That’s why when someone hits a person with a fist, the victim can’t respond the attacker with a gun under the right for self defense.

Both sides were arguing whether the society is ready to face Nazi symbols and whether it would be beneficial for people who faced the actions of these regimes in real life to be exposed to them. The majority sees these symbols to be representing something unpleasant either it’s war, illegal occupation or anti Jew policy. Important is how society overall perceives these symbols, not what meaning a single individual wanted to put in it. And to clarify, both sides also agree today that symbols have a meaning, mentioned in the argument how allowance of symbols would deal with extremist groups."

personally i dont get offended by the name Hitler, i just know others can get offended by it, and thats why i see no problem with having this server removed. same goes for names as Pinochet, Franco etc.
Thanks given by:
So far your "excellents arguments" only consist in a false affirmation regarding the law restricting the freedom of speech in different countries and bragging about a good mark.

From a purely legal point of view the best option is to ban. Its the easiest argument we can give. And we do not need to give further explanations.

So, what are you trying to do ? Are you trying to debate the legislation in the concerned countries ? Do you think it is the appropriate place to do it ? Do you think this guy is trying to express something interesting ? If he is trolling, why should we let him troll and assume there is a political message behind his acts ?

We are not fighting discriminations by banning players. You are discussing something there is no point to debate on here. This thread is about banning a trouble maker. It is a fact : we kept receiving complaints, people are offended. The simplest option is to ban. That's all.

Now, you might think there is no good censorship. It is a more and more common opinion. Ideally we could believe that in order to fight discriminations it is better to let xenophobic thoughts (for example) be expressed so as to fight them with rational arguments. This reasoning is a bit naive and has two main downsides :
1) it means that every opinion has the same value, so everything is worth being debated. I think this is incompatible with the existence of consensus and the very concept of State. Sometimes, for example, a political party can be incompatible with the constitution itself.
2) at the end it makes discriminations look more ordinary and it might actually increase them. also, a society focused on discriminations is not focused on something else. In France, for example, the extreme right wing movements have been depicted more and more as ordinary political movements for the past decade (while they clearly are not, considering how violent they are). As a result, we are now wasting time discussing religions, sexuality, immigration etc. instead of discussing what really matters. The extremism is also rising. The society is probably more divided and violent than it was 20 years ago.

So, if you are coherent, and if you suggest the Nazism should be treated as other political movements, you have to be anarchist or instead to accept that your country moral and values might change and promote Nazism (for example) some day.
Thanks given by:
MPx, as far as adoring a man who killed thousands goes, you're playing a game that simulates killing.. over and over and over again. Sure we don't think of it in those terms, we've become a bit desensitized to it to be honest, but that is what it is at it's most basic level.

Addressing this Hitler guy... he should be banned along with his server. After a specified period of time it would be prudent to remove the ban and see if his attitude has changed. If it hasn't? Reban and get on with life. The reason I believe in this ban is because we are an international game that prominently features several well-respected European players. Nazi-ism may not have as much of an effect on someone like myself who hails from America, or a shimmy like Undead who's from Australia, but it is an inheritance of viciousness and cruelty that far surpasses anything we've seen in a long time. For Europeans it is a memory that hits way too close to home, a reminder of just how far the depths of evil go, and the sadness and suffering that should never be experienced by anyone.

Undead's arguments aren't in favor of Nazi-ism or Hitler. They are against the concept of instant name-banning based on preconceived opinions of historical figures and the repercussions for players, innocent or not, who may lose out on the joy of AC because of it. This is my opinion only, I cannot speak for Undead or his arguments tbh. Many players, our newbies at least, play the game very intermittently. They may be perfectly fine one day, fresh meat for the ratios, then absolutely nutty, obscene, and flagrantly offensive the next. This is because of the loose nature of the game for them. It is an outlet for aggression. The problem is that not all these players are bad at their core. They're genuinely good shimmies who don't know better, had a momentary lapse in judgement, or just a bad day. To arbitrarily ban them isn't right.

That said... in this instance I feel Undead's arguments are irrelevant. The offender is clearly selecting his name to offend the most people possible. His server is probably a Third Reich penthouse with so many Nazi concubines it'd make Casanova look like a saint. Out of respect for the majority of our veteran players, and for mankind in general, a ban is more than appropriate. I'd suggest setting a time limit and allowing this Hitler guy a second chance when that's up.

I also recommend a name FAQ be written up and stickied to the same board that Zarj's forum rules are on. It could contain some very simple guidelines on what names absolutely will not be accepted and the punishments for use of them. In this way players will have ample warning. If they choose to use one of the, few btw should be very few, nicks that will not be allowed whatsoever, they accept full responsibility for their actions and any subsequent repercussions.

MKeezy Edit :: Great now I have to scroll up and read all these other posts...
Thanks given by:
Undead, shared by the majority view is what you can't seem to accept. Even after 70 years, nazism remains undesirable for mentioning topic, and it's like an unspoken standard.

(31 Dec 14, 04:06PM)Undead Wrote: i'm just trying to make the truth obvious
How can the source, which is authoritative for you, be authoritative for the others? In what state did the system, that generated the opinion you've taken, remain at the time of producing it? How objective is it? Are there any hidden someone else's goals behind it? What if there are? Did you make sure that you were aware of at least one other point of view before posting yours for everyone to see? Finally, in what state did you remain when writing your post? Maybe you've watched a movie that have had an effect on your CNS and you didn't notice? Maybe you're in depression? Maybe you're just trying to make fun out of people in the Internet?
Thanks given by:
[Image: on-nom-nom-house-popcorn-this-is-gonna-be-good.gif]
Thanks given by:
@MorganKell, I play a game that simulates defense by firing a weapon. Is not the same defending your country that kill ppl in the most coward way.

Whatever.. I guess I made a mistake about this thread. My apologies, we dont need this crap at the last day of the year. It's like crushing shit. I'm not perfect, sorry.

So maybe some admin can close it?
Thanks given by:
No I disagree my good sir about the defense part. We here in AC attack attack attack!! Did you read through the rest of my comment? I clearly agree with you. I just felt like commenting on that one part. Breathe a little shimmy and read through the entirety of it. You'll see we're on the same page. ;)

Fyi you did nothing wrong opening this thread.
Thanks given by:
Playing devil's advocate here but, all of the previous posts are invalid, simply because there is no Rules or Terms of Service for a server to be listed (or make use of) in the master server as a server provider for AssaultCube. You are discussing only about personal opinions and beliefs.

So, Hitler's servers should not be banned as long as there is not rules or terms of service to make use of the master server and he violates such rules or terms of service. Simply as that.
Thanks given by:
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-2677.html
Thanks given by:
I didn't know about those rules existed. And I don't think that's the proper way/place(forum) to those rules. Does that rules are displayed when someone creates/configures an AssaultCube server or is there some sort of agreement to which to agree explicitly at the moment of creating a server? (It has been a long time I created a server and can't be bothered to make one right now)

And yes, then given those rules, if there is multiple (how much is multiple?) forum users complaining Hitlers server should be banned from master server.
Thanks given by:
It might also be useful to provide a warning about the consequences of choosing a nickname with the purpose to inflame on startup when prompted to choose a nickname.

(31 Dec 14, 07:02PM)TheNihilanth Wrote: I didn't know about those rules existed. And I don't think that's the proper way/place(forum) to those rules.

This is also true for me. I once got an entry in the blacklist thread because of rules I never knew existed. A reconstruction of my reaction to discovering this can be found here. I used admin in TSOR's server to vote maps I wanted to play and got reported by Drakas for doing so. Without first being warned by anyone, I might add. I'll never forget the guy in game who told me he was going to bl me said how I'd 'breached the assaultcube codex'. How can anyone forget such a misuse of the word codex. Anyway just weeks into my love affair with assaultcube I was bl'd on half the servers for a rule that was probably only ever enforced that one time on me. My point is that the rules as to how to behave in AC seem rather squirelled away.
Thanks given by:
(31 Dec 14, 05:23PM)MorganKell Wrote: I also recommend a name FAQ be written up and stickied to the same board that Zarj's forum rules are on. It could contain some very simple guidelines on what names absolutely will not be accepted and the punishments for use of them. In this way players will have ample warning. If they choose to use one of the, few btw should be very few, nicks that will not be allowed whatsoever, they accept full responsibility for their actions and any subsequent repercussions.

Although he's quoting the wrong shimmy I agree with Hellspell.
Thanks given by:
Every person has a right to fully express themselves if it does no tangible harm to others.

Every person also has a choice in how they react to stimulus that offends their sensibilities. I come from a Jewish household and there is a constant discussion of anti-Zionism vs. anti-semitism. Hitler represents a great deal of outward evil but there are other equally terrible parties involved in war.

I'd much rather know someone is a douche and avoid them rather than have their fringe beliefs broiling below the surface.

It's a problem you can see in America today with racism towards black people. Where I'm from in the south there are plenty of racists. Where I live now there are also plenty but it's far harder to tell who they are.

I'm curious if anyone has reached out to this person in an attempt to rectify the situation.

You aren't going to combt stupidity by pretending it doesn't exist.
Thanks given by:
'The Nazis didn't lose the war that's a lie. No, no, they didn't lose, they just swapped sides' - Max Normal
Thanks given by:
Nah man, they moved to Brazil.
Thanks given by:
ty for attempting to respond properly guys it brings light to my world of darkness. sry if i lapse a bit while writing this, i had to respond to a lot of people. incoming huge wall of text below

(31 Dec 14, 04:59PM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: No, there is no direct harm caused to any individual directly, though maybe to your own reputation for being intentionally provocative and then questioning the response. But, hey, it's your time to waste how you choose.

However, I would argue that, as much as you have the right to offend others, others have the right to respond in the fashion they so choose.

No where does it say anyone has to put up with offenses and provocation in their online activities.

If the parties responsible for maintaining the Masterserver configuration decide that your server name constitutes an offense, they have the right to block it from their service.
Right, wrong, or indifferent - Everyone has a right to their opinion, and free will dictates that people can respond in whatever way they choose.

before i address this, don't resort to the "there is no free speech on the internet" argument, because its a completely flawed argument, but i would need to write a small essay to deconstruct it and i can't really be bothered to be honest.

as individuals, sure. but when you're wielding structural authority (you could consider whoever runs the masterserver to be equal to the state for the purposes of this discussion), you don't have the right to restrict what you believe to be offensive. when you do that, you're restricting free speech unnecessarily for little actual benefit. what constitutes 'offensive' is a subjective concept.

(31 Dec 14, 04:59PM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: So as much as you have the right to name yourself what you will, others have an equal right to be offended and ban you.

consider the following situation: mpx insults me, i'm offended, but nobody else is. i happen to have admin. should i ban him from the server? no, because that is ego-centric, but i would do it anyway because i don't like him. that doesn't make it right, but do i really care? its the same thought process that occurs when admins ban people for nazi names. if the entire server is offended, there is a vote function available to ban the player in question. otherwise, just leave it.

(31 Dec 14, 04:59PM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: So it is a two-way street - You know it will offend people, so you do it. People get offended, and insult you. You mock and belittle them.
And now you wonder why someone hasn't come forth with the volumes of literature that it would be necessary to write to get you to understand what, in the end, you already know.

volumes of literature? lol. it just requires a bit of research. you don't need to use unnecessary vocabulary and commas to get your point across btw, it just makes it harder to read. i guess my lack of capital letters makes my writing harder to read, but w/e.

------------

(31 Dec 14, 05:19PM)Marti Wrote: ftr undead i wasnt commenting about you finding it ridiculous, more that you stated only germany has explicit laws against nazi references. i know you always do your research but you shouldve done slightly more research about this.

hence why i said 'AFAIK'. i was hoping someone would correct me, but no, i just got insulted. i really can't be bothered to search for information on a 64k connection. i have done exactly zero research for this thread; everything i'm talking about is from prior research.

------------

(31 Dec 14, 05:19PM)Luc@s Wrote: So far your "excellents arguments" only consist in a false affirmation regarding the law restricting the freedom of speech in different countries and bragging about a good mark.

once again, you didn't read what i wrote properly. right there, you've cherry-picked parts from my argument and created a strawman. A+.

(31 Dec 14, 05:19PM)Luc@s Wrote: From a purely legal point of view the best option is to ban. Its the easiest argument we can give. And we do not need to give further explanations.

and from your vast legal knowledge, what precedent are you drawing from that makes it the best option to ban him?

(31 Dec 14, 05:19PM)Luc@s Wrote: So, what are you trying to do ? Are you trying to debate the legislation in the concerned countries ? Do you think it is the appropriate place to do it ? Do you think this guy is trying to express something interesting ? If he is trolling, why should we let him troll and assume there is a political message behind his acts ?

you're going on a paranoid schizophrenic rant again. if you read what i wrote, you'd notice that i'm drawing on rational legal precedents to argue against restricting speech. you haven't read enough on this subject; stay out of the discussion. i'm not concerned what he is trying to do; what i'm trying to say is that he is

(31 Dec 14, 05:19PM)Luc@s Wrote: We are not fighting discriminations by banning players.

nobody is fighting discrimination in AC besides 1cap. AC is also not the place for discrimination protection because there is zero tangible harm that can result as of in-game actions.

(31 Dec 14, 05:19PM)Luc@s Wrote: You are discussing something there is no point to debate on here. This thread is about banning a trouble maker. It is a fact : we kept receiving complaints, people are offended. The simplest option is to ban. That's all.

simplest option is never the wisest option. it does not matter

(31 Dec 14, 05:19PM)Luc@s Wrote: Now, you might think there is no good censorship. It is a more and more common opinion. Ideally we could believe that in order to fight discriminations it is better to let xenophobic thoughts (for example) be expressed so as to fight them with rational arguments. This reasoning is a bit naive and has two main downsides :
2) at the end it makes discriminations look more ordinary and it might actually increase them. also, a society focused on discriminations is not focused on something else. In France, for example, the extreme right wing movements have been depicted more and more as ordinary political movements for the past decade (while they clearly are not, considering how violent they are). As a result, we are now wasting time discussing religions, sexuality, immigration etc. instead of discussing what really matters. The extremism is also rising. The society is probably more divided and violent than it was 20 years ago.

hence why we have racial discrimination laws. however, a direct ban on political parties isn't going to solve anything.

(31 Dec 14, 05:19PM)Luc@s Wrote: So, if you are coherent, and if you suggest the Nazism should be treated as other political movements, you have to be anarchist or instead to accept that your country moral and values might change and promote Nazism (for example) some day.

dude what lol. you do realize there are more effective mechanisms to restrict hateful ideology than through just directly banning references to nazi imagery? if you ban speech that is intimidating/villifying/etc towards an ethnic group (e.g. Jews), that would also cover nazi salutes and the like, as nazi imagery implies intimidation towards jews.

lucas, i think you're close to the mark, you just need to improve your english comprehension skills (and maybe a bit of reading) so we can have a proper argument.

------------

(31 Dec 14, 05:25PM)Sveark Wrote: Undead, shared by the majority view is what you can't seem to accept. Even after 70 years, nazism remains undesirable for mentioning topic, and it's like an unspoken standard.

which is precisely why it needs to be talked about. a fear of discussing nazism isn't rational.

the reason de-nazification took place in europe is because fascism is a very emotional ideology; if the bullshit is allowed to propagate, it isn't hard to get people to agree with it.

if you believe something is correct just because the majority opinion says it is correct; you may just be the type of person who is at risk of developing extremist tendencies.

(31 Dec 14, 05:25PM)Sveark Wrote: How can the source, which is authoritative for you, be authoritative for the others? In what state did the system, that generated the opinion you've taken, remain at the time of producing it? How objective is it? Are there any hidden someone else's goals behind it? What if there are? Did you make sure that you were aware of at least one other point of view before posting yours for everyone to see?

what 'source' are you referring to? this is entirely my own opinion, albeit substantiated by a bit of (unbiased) research on the topic, from multiple sources.

(31 Dec 14, 05:25PM)Sveark Wrote: Finally, in what state did you remain when writing your post? Maybe you've watched a movie that have had an effect on your CNS and you didn't notice? Maybe you're in depression? Maybe you're just trying to make fun out of people in the Internet?

don't insult me. thanks.

------------

(31 Dec 14, 06:09PM)MPx Wrote: So maybe some admin can close it?

there is no need.

------------

(01 Jan 15, 03:02AM)Waffles Wrote: Every person has a right to fully express themselves if it does no tangible harm to others.

precisely. very profound statement. being offended does not constitute a harm. otherwise, we get into fuckery, as almost anything can be considered as rationally offensive. should dick cheney be considered an offensive name? should christmas decorations be considered offensive? it gets a little ridiculous. why not use better mechanisms to protect people from real harm?

(01 Jan 15, 03:02AM)Waffles Wrote: It's a problem you can see in America today with racism towards black people. Where I'm from in the south there are plenty of racists. Where I live now there are also plenty but it's far harder to tell who they are.

america also has very, very relaxed free speech laws. you could say this is a strong reason as for why bigots are so prevalent in the USA.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jan 15, 05:26AM)Undead Wrote: this is entirely my own opinion
Lets carry out a thought experiment. Suppose we have a man who doesn't know what chocolate is. He has never been shown a picture of chocolate, he didn't sniff nor touch it, he never heard of it. Can this man ever think of chocolate? No. Consider a man in two hypostasises. First hypostasis: the body. A great physician of antiquity said: "you are what you eat". And that's really it. You eat, you drink, and everything you drink and eat eventually becomes yourself. Prove me wrong. The same way the information obtained by you via the six well-known channeles (ears, eyes, etc) eventually forms your identity, and this is the second hypostasis. While in the mother's womb, you are already beginning to receive information, but so far only auditory. Those sounds that you hear form synapses between the neurons in your brain, which then become a part of your habits, character, fears, etc. And this continues to happen to you through all your life. The system generates you according to the image and likeness of itself. Of course, you are endowed with intelligence, and thus you are a self-generated system yourself, but you live in the same system that everyone else lives in, you are a part of it. The opinion that you call entirely your own, really is not, because it's composed of the information you were able to get and the source of that information is not you.

(01 Jan 15, 05:26AM)Undead Wrote: if the bullshit is allowed to propagate, it isn't hard to get people to agree with it.
You are right here.
Lets return to our subject. The Nazis made a lot of bad things in Europe (the war, the extermination of the Jewish people, a variety of experiments on humans, etc). If humanity is to allow to spread the information about it everywhere, it could lead to unpleasant consequences. Here you are very conscious person, you can be trusted in terms of informational influencing on your neighbor. But what if a child who has never heard of Nazism reads this? He begins to be insterested. What if his very first opinion on the subject will be acclaiming it? Freedom of speech is the image that was originally created to facilitate the movement of propaganda. A man cannot live without society, he should not destroy it, he should protect it. Remember what was the ultimate punishment in the Greek polis? It was the expulsion from the polis. Outside the system a man is doomed, so lets protect our system.
Thanks given by:
Just ban the server and stop wasting time. Any reference to Hitler or Nazism will lead to a ban in most online games , I don't see a reason why it should be any different here.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jan 15, 10:36AM)Sveark Wrote:
(01 Jan 15, 05:26AM)Undead Wrote: this is entirely my own opinion
Lets carry out a thought experiment. Suppose we have a man who doesn't know what chocolate is. He has never been shown a picture of chocolate, he didn't sniff nor touch it, he never heard of it. Can this man ever think of chocolate? No. Consider a man in two hypostasises. First hypostasis: the body. A great physician of antiquity said: "you are what you eat". And that's really it. You eat, you drink, and everything you drink and eat eventually becomes yourself. Prove me wrong. The same way the information obtained by you via the six well-known channeles (ears, eyes, etc) eventually forms your identity, and this is the second hypostasis. While in the mother's womb, you are already beginning to receive information, but so far only auditory. Those sounds that you hear form synapses between the neurons in your brain, which then become a part of your habits, character, fears, etc. And this continues to happen to you through all your life. The system generates you according to the image and likeness of itself. Of course, you are endowed with intelligence, and thus you are a self-generated system yourself, but you live in the same system that everyone else lives in, you are a part of it. The opinion that you call entirely your own, really is not, because it's composed of the information you were able to get and the source of that information is not you.

(01 Jan 15, 05:26AM)Undead Wrote: if the bullshit is allowed to propagate, it isn't hard to get people to agree with it.
You are right here.
Lets return to our subject. The Nazis made a lot of bad things in Europe (the war, the extermination of the Jewish people, a variety of experiments on humans, etc). If humanity is to allow to spread the information about it everywhere, it could lead to unpleasant consequences. Here you are very conscious person, you can be trusted in terms of informational influencing on your neighbor. But what if a child who has never heard of Nazism reads this? He begins to be insterested. What if his very first opinion on the subject will be acclaiming it? Freedom of speech is the image that was originally created to facilitate the movement of propaganda. A man cannot live without society, he should not destroy it, he should protect it. Remember what was the ultimate punishment in the Greek polis? It was the expulsion from the polis. Outside the system a man is doomed, so lets protect our system.

I associate your display picture with Communism and therefore Stalin jumps to my mind, So I am politely asking you to remove it as he was responsible for many unnecessary deaths and it hurts my e-feelings, sound ridiculous?, seriously it's just a server name, it only offends you if you allow it to offend you, people complaining in this thread you're just looking for a reason to be offended and this is the true reason for the downfall of modern society.  Atrocities like genocide are still being committed today but here we all are discussing why removing the word Hitler in Assaultcube is of such grave importance.  A server named Bush or Cheney wouldn't receive this kind of scrutiny but that's ok because browns aren't people right?.  Personally Hitlers public addresses even fire me up and I'm of polish descent .... 
Thanks given by:
I grow tired of hearing this same debate over and over again. It is illegal in the UK to promote or display Nazi propaganda, it is an offence under the 1986 public order act and has successfully been prosecuted in the UK in 2010 see link below;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north...486884.stm

If the AC community allows Nazi names and anti jewish names to be published it may be breaking UK law and any UK citizen could make a formal complaint to the UK police to have the site blocked in the UK. It is also an offence in most other European countries under similar laws. It is also illegal in that bastion of free speech the US under racial hatred laws.

Please everyone let common sense prevail here block these servers with there stupid antagonistic names and lets get on with playing the game without all this political bullshit.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jan 15, 03:02AM)Waffles Wrote: Every person has a right to fully express themselves if it does no tangible harm to others.

Even if you believe in that right, it doesn't mean that your have the right to free expression on someone else's private infrastructure.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jan 15, 01:54PM)DES|Anderson Wrote: I grow tired of hearing this same debate over and over again. It is illegal in the UK to promote or display Nazi propaganda, it is an offence under the 1986 public order act and has successfully been prosecuted in the UK in 2010 see link below;

If the AC community allows Nazi names and anti jewish names to be published it may be breaking UK law and any UK citizen could make a formal complaint to the UK police to have the site blocked in the UK. It is also an offence in most other European countries under similar laws. It is also illegal in that bastion of free speech the US under racial hatred laws.

Please everyone let common sense prevail here block these servers with there stupid antagonistic names and lets get on with playing the game without all this political bullshit.

Ok so what about when a server named [SS]l-lItler pops up? yafukngoof
Thanks given by:
(01 Jan 15, 01:08PM)Vermi Wrote: it's just a server name, it only offends you if you allow it to offend you, people complaining in this thread you're just looking for a reason to be offended
I didn't say I was offended by its name. Also, my point is not about offending someone's feelings, reread carefully.

(01 Jan 15, 01:08PM)Vermi Wrote: I associate your display picture with Communism and therefore Stalin jumps to my mind, So I am politely asking you to remove it as he was responsible for many unnecessary deaths and it hurts my e-feelings
I don't give a shit about your sick association of communism with unnecessary deaths.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jan 15, 01:54PM)DES|Anderson Wrote: I grow tired of hearing this same debate over and over again. It is illegal in the UK to promote or display Nazi propaganda, it is an offence under the 1986 public order act and has successfully been prosecuted in the UK in 2010 see link below;

there are better ways to restrict nazi propaganda than by explicitly limiting it.
it isn't an explicit offence in australia at least, but its still illegal. http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/c.../s18c.html

"It is unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if:

(a) the act is reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people"

nazi imagery comes under these definitions. so, nazis still cant be bigoted cunts, and it works better than explicitly making nazi imagery illegal, as you aren't unnecessarily restricting free speech in other areas.

heres the thing: in AC, no actual harm (the reason we SHOULD have these laws in the first place, some politicians get it confused and think discrimination laws are there to protect people from being offended) can come from propagating nazi imagery. so why ban it?

(01 Jan 15, 01:54PM)DES|Anderson Wrote: It is also illegal in that bastion of free speech the US under racial hatred laws.

i'm interested; under which laws? not doubting you, just curious.

(01 Jan 15, 10:36AM)Sveark Wrote: Lets carry out a thought experiment. Suppose we have a man who doesn't know what chocolate is. He has never been shown a picture of chocolate, he didn't sniff nor touch it, he never heard of it. Can this man ever think of chocolate? No. Consider a man in two hypostasises. First hypostasis: the body. A great physician of antiquity said: "you are what you eat". And that's really it. You eat, you drink, and everything you drink and eat eventually becomes yourself. Prove me wrong. The same way the information obtained by you via the six well-known channeles (ears, eyes, etc) eventually forms your identity, and this is the second hypostasis. While in the mother's womb, you are already beginning to receive information, but so far only auditory. Those sounds that you hear form synapses between the neurons in your brain, which then become a part of your habits, character, fears, etc. And this continues to happen to you through all your life. The system generates you according to the image and likeness of itself. Of course, you are endowed with intelligence, and thus you are a self-generated system yourself, but you live in the same system that everyone else lives in, you are a part of it.

yes i'm acquainted with platonic philosophy. nice to see other people are also.

(01 Jan 15, 10:36AM)Sveark Wrote: The opinion that you call entirely your own, really is not, because it's composed of the information you were able to get and the source of that information is not you.

i've developed my opinion by reading what other people have wrote. i take in what i can see is factual and apply it, and thus i formulate my own opinion in my head. its developed from others but still independent.

(01 Jan 15, 02:19PM)Sveark Wrote: I don't give a shit about your sick association of communism with unnecessary deaths.

leninist-style socialism leads naturally to tyranny. i guess i'm veering a wee bit off-topic with that statement tho.

there are genuine, serious problems in the world. racially offensive crap in AC isn't a problem, unless you're trying to be offended. so ease up, relax, play the game, don't be troll bait, and maybe we'll all get along a bit better.
Thanks given by:
You should close this thread, ban the server, and all finished
Thanks given by:
(01 Jan 15, 02:19PM)Sveark Wrote:
(01 Jan 15, 01:08PM)Vermi Wrote: it's just a server name, it only offends you if you allow it to offend you, people complaining in this thread you're just looking for a reason to be offended
I didn't say I was offended by its name. Also, my point is not about offending someone's feelings, reread carefully.

I wasn't saying you were offended I was just making reference to all the people that obviously think they are in this thread,  I feel your butthurt is more a result of a language barrier than anything in this case

(01 Jan 15, 01:08PM)Vermi Wrote: I associate your display picture with Communism and therefore Stalin jumps to my mind, So I am politely asking you to remove it as he was responsible for many unnecessary deaths and it hurts my e-feelings
I don't give a shit about your sick association of communism with unnecessary deaths.

I come from a country with just about 0 culture so you have to understand that all these ideology's just seem divisive by nature to me, yeah yeah the common man yadda yadda there is still mass corruption in your country too so come down from your high horse comrade

Edit: I obviously still dont understand how to operate the quote system properly
Thanks given by:
Out of question such poorly named servers have to be banned right away. After all, FPS games are not the place to discuss religions or politics. Happy new year, btw.
Thanks given by: