AssaultCube sounds android app permission
Hello,

I am an old frequent gamer but don't have the time nowadays. I used to play with several colleagues. We don't play any more, but the in-game audio voice commands are stuck with us for eternity :)

Therefore, I have written an Android soundboard app with the AssaultCube voicecom sounds. I could release for iOS at a later date, but I personally don't own one.

I published it at https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...cubesounds, however you won't find it because Google has decided it is copyright and banned it.

Therefore you can find it here for the moment:

http://www.aushack.com/data/AssaultCube%...20v1.0.apk

I am aware of the licensing, as I have seen it is Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported and the cube engine is zlib license and the sounds are "Recorded by makkE and/or partially reprocessed from various royalty free or free to modify samples"

I released it on the Google Play store with acknowledgement of the CC license and Rabid Viper Productions and the game link and github source, but for uncertain reason they rejected it.

Possibly because the website says:

This license is for the entire UNMODIFIED AssaultCube package(s). You may choose to disect, and use or redistribute, etc. pieces of AssaultCube, instead of the entire package(s) if you wish. HOWEVER, you must adhere to the license specified for that particular data. If no license is specified, you MUST assume that the data is COPYRIGHT and you are NOT allowed to redistribute that data outside of an UNMODIFIED AssaultCube package(s).

Which is ambiguous at best. I believe I am free to distribute it (although perhaps I am mistaken?).

My point was can I somehow obtain express written permission on here, as I cannot find any other developer contact details?

The app is free and contains no ads or modifications.

Thanks,
-Patrick
Thanks given by:
Oh FYI I added the vXX next to the sounds, for those that forget v63 etc :)

http://www.aushack.com/data/AssaultCube%...v1.0.1.apk
Thanks given by:
Why do you say, those files fall under CC license?
Thanks given by:
Well the entire AC project and this website is released under CC, therefore that would require that any sub-licences be CC or free(er) unless specifically licensed (which most sounds aren't), although some are borrowed from Quake / OpenArena.
Thanks given by:
Yo AusHack! :D
Thanks given by:
(23 Dec 14, 10:53PM)stef Wrote: Why do you say, those files fall under CC license?

[citation needed]
Thanks given by:
Huh? The license is here http://assault.cubers.net/docs/license.html

Hey DrauL! Long time no see :)
Thanks given by:
I hate to say it, but the license of those files are ambiguous, and best assumed to be under copyright.

Notice on that page you linked to:
For anything else, please check in your ./docs/package_copyrights.txt file and any individual *.txt files or *.cfg files within AssaultCube to see if permission is granted to redistribute that data. If no permission is found, you MUST assume that the data is COPYRIGHT and you are NOT allowed to redistribute that data outside of an UNMODIFIED AssaultCube package(s).

Basically, unless there is a license associated with the files inside the package, assume it is under copyright. Now, you can talk to makkE (the author of those sounds) and ask him about the licensing. Have us shoot over an email with the actual license and we will be sure to add it.
Thanks given by:
Hey Ronald_Reagan :) Haven't played with you for a while either :/

Yeah, well you do have a point. That is why I was hoping someone here might know? I think I have played with makkE but I am not certain.

The alternative is that I include the entire AssaultCube ZIP file within the Android app to play the sounds... but that is wasting 80MB of your phone's disk space to access 700kb of free sounds.
Thanks given by:
aushack, you linked to the license - but you didn't read it?

The CC license only applies to "AssaultCube website and documentation" - and the voicecom sounds are neither website nor documentation.

Apparently, there are no individual license files for the voicecom files available, which means, they fall under the AC package license (to be found on the same license page that you linked to): only free in unmodified AC packages.

In short: Google is right, you are wrong, your app is illegal.
But the solution should be simple: ask makke and GeneralDisarray for permission to use the files - those two are resposible for the voicecom sounds, afaik.

PS: wtf is "ambiguous" about the word "unmodified"? seriously?
Thanks given by:
Because it is clearly messy at best. I've worked on a number of open source projects and this is by far the worst I've encountered. Plus there are zero contact details for anyone.

Anyway never mind. I realised that I could implement a download button within the app that would only take 10 minutes to write, which is less time than spent on here trying to find out.

Which made me realise why many emulator apps etc have a download ROM button as well, so they can release it without caring about licence hell.
Thanks given by:
nobody in their right mind would go to court if you used these sounds, but anyway, lets try thinking about this logically. the voicecom sounds were created for the purpose of being used with the AC package. in this case, he has given permission for his sounds to be used in the AC package. naturally, you can't (legally) use those sounds for your program (in australia, as we have no US-style ambiguous fair use defence) because you haven't received explicit permission, but i would use the sounds because nobody is going to really care, especially not makkE or GD.

(25 Dec 14, 04:15AM)aushack Wrote: I've worked on a number of open source projects and this is by far the worst I've encountered. Plus there are zero contact details for anyone.

no doubt; it doesn't help when coders pretend to be lawyers either.

for example, if you wanted to find the licensing to the map files, it would be impossible to do so. the license file to my maps aren't present in the AC package, as far i can see (a breach of the CC license that i have under my maps, considering i didn't ever give explicit permission to the devs saying that they could use my maps for w/e purpose, but i really don't care about semantics so i'm not going to press it).

if you wanted to use my (unique) works in another game, you would just have to assume that the devs hold the copyright to those maps, which isn't true.
Thanks given by:
Which maps did you write Undead?

The licence and copyright is clearly to prevent someone taking AC, changing the name and selling it for $50.

Metasploit had the same problem, which is how you end up with (silly) free restrictive licensing. Because people are trying to make a buck at your expense.

But if you look at the APK it isn't to steal it from AC. It is to have the AC sound at the pub with your AC mates and have a laugh, and remember how cool AC is.
Thanks given by:
(25 Dec 14, 05:50AM)aushack Wrote: Which maps did you write Undead?

(cooperatively) ac_iceroad, ac_swamp, ac_cavern
Thanks given by:
Oh man iceroad is fun :-) thanks for the lulz.
Thanks given by:
Undead, I'd use the sounds too. The problem is that Google is covering their asses. Not sure anyone around is going to complain if you use official AC content for AC endorsing (for lack of a better word) material.

Aushack, yeah, AC somehow survives through license hell. Sorry about it, but pretty sure none of the current devs have a huge hand in it. Except maybe RK needs to include Undeads licenses and make sure they jive well with inclusion into the AC package.
Thanks given by:
(25 Dec 14, 05:26AM)Undead Wrote: if you wanted to use my (unique) works in another game, you would just have to assume that the devs hold the copyright to those maps, which isn't true.

Since you haven't signed off on anything and have not transferred the copyright, only you hold the copyright. Unless they have modified the map with your permission, then the person, who modified the map (haven't signed off anything either), and you hold the copyright together, since it's indiscernible who did what.

This is actually true for the source code, as well. In the effort to move to LGPL, VLC had to rewrite code of someone who refused to answer them[1].

Circling back, Rabid Viper holds the copyright on the collection of files/package, not each file. Those are copyrighted by their respective authors, or are in public domain.

I'm obviously not an expert in this, and my grey area is if i can legally change map configs. They're not maps, but they usually have authors' licensing header and are part of a package. But then the header says "this map" is licensed under whatever license. :/
Thanks given by:
Yeah Rabid Viper does. But are they a registered company in any country in the world? I own a few businesses in Australia, which typically own things I or staff produce. If you wanted to use something I've written which most is BSD (free) anyway, it is easy to find my business and find legal contacts.

I did look for them but no idea if Rabid Viper even exists or if it is just a crew name.
Thanks given by:
It is procedure, to get proper permission from the author, before any media (including maps) is added to the package.
If it is true, as you say, Undead, that no one asked you for permission, then obviously someone fucked up when he included your maps. It would be nice, if you could give your permission now. Otherwise, I'll remove the maps.

Btw, about the AC license "hell": the sources use a modified zlib license and every file in the package uses the AC package license. In addition, some files have own license files, which, however, never interfere with the AC package license. What exactly is complicated about that? It only gets complicated, if you try to distribute modified packages or try to distribute the name under your own name - or if you want to strip single files from the package without permission. You should assume, that those "problems" are intended. Pls also note, that any modification of the installed game is not prohibited but instead highly encouraged.

aushack, is it really the better solution, to download a full AC package to just strip the voicecom sounds from it, while crossing your fingers, hoping not to violate the license, and of course causing a lot of unnecessary traffic - than to simply send makke an email?
Thanks given by:
Heh but I don't know makkE :)

That's why I first said I can't find any developer contact details and came here. Feel free to PM me with email if you know it, cheers.
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure his email is listed on some of his other licenses in the package.
Thanks given by:
(25 Dec 14, 07:40PM)stef Wrote: If it is true, as you say, Undead, that no one asked you for permission, then obviously someone fucked up when he included your maps. It would be nice, if you could give your permission now. Otherwise, I'll remove the maps.

alternatively, you could include the CC-BY-NC-SA license that was included with the original downloads on quadropolis/akimbo. licensing problem is solved. as i said, i'm not particularly bothered, because apart from not including the license, you're still adhering to every other condition outlined therein.
Thanks given by:
Oh, I didn't realise I could search for him in the forum. So sent a PM although he has been offline for 25 days, with a link to here to get his thoughts.

Have a nice new years all. v41!
Thanks given by:
(25 Dec 14, 05:26AM)Undead Wrote: for example, if you wanted to find the licensing to the map files, it would be impossible to do so. the license file to my maps aren't present in the AC package, as far i can see (a breach of the CC license that i have under my maps, considering i didn't ever give explicit permission to the devs saying that they could use my maps for w/e purpose, but i really don't care about semantics so i'm not going to press it).

if you wanted to use my (unique) works in another game, you would just have to assume that the devs hold the copyright to those maps, which isn't true.

License for ac_cavern: https://github.com/assaultcube/AC/blob/m...cavern.cfg

License for ac_iceroad: https://github.com/assaultcube/AC/blob/m...ceroad.cfg

License for ac_swamp: https://github.com/assaultcube/AC/blob/m..._swamp.cfg

As you can see undead, your licenses are in the package - if you have any problems, please PM me (the following maps don't have a license and therefore must be assumed copyright: ac_desert2, ac_desert3, ac_elevation, ac_gothic, ac_power, ac_scaffold, ac_shine, ac_snow, ac_sunset, ac_urban).

As to AC having license hell, as you put it, this form of licensing allows us to adapt materials from others to create AC, rather than spend time making all of the materials ourselves.

As previously mentioned, there is a license that covers distributing the entire AssaultCube package as an unmodified whole. If you wish to dissect it, you'll need to either:
(a) Find the license file within AssaultCube (if there is one) that is specific to the file you want to dissect and then adhere to that license file.
(b) Find the original author of that file and ask them for permission.

(23 Dec 14, 08:51AM)aushack Wrote: Recorded by makkE and/or partially reprocessed from various royalty free or free to modify samples

That doesn't, at any point, state whether a file is or is not copyright. There is nothing within the AssaultCube package that says you may dissect the voicecom sounds, thus you must assume they are copyright.

Pretty sure though, based on the usage that you're looking for, makkE would give his blessing, so yes please contact him to see if he would give it.
Thanks given by:
What is this? Regardless of whether or not the licenses are proper Undead made his maps for AC. There is no other game for them. What AssaultCube needs to do is STOP banning him. It don't matter how flagrantly screwy he was and or is. He's one of us. Plain and simple. He's stuck with AC through thick and thin.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the tuts and still learning ....
Thanks given by:
thx for adding them RK.

(01 Jan 15, 03:48AM)MorganKell Wrote: What is this? Regardless of whether or not the licenses are proper Undead made his maps for AC. There is no other game for them. 

its completely possible to adopt the maps to other games. for example, call of duty games have a somewhat similar flow to AC, so it wouldn't be completely impossible to adopt some maps in AC to call of duty. imagine what would happen if the cod developers just blatantly stole iceroad1.1 and turned it into a call of duty map? i'd be expecting massive amounts of $$$$$$$$.

if not for licensing, i wouldn't be surprised if certain AC maps, like shine, desert3, cavern1.2, etc, were stolen and adapted to other games, considering how good those maps are.

it has happened in reverse, too. look at how popular ac_dust2 used to be. or the poor attempts at copying nuketown. lots of fun examples.
Thanks given by:
Well, I never heard back from makkE after multiple attempts about getting sound permission, and had a few hours spare last weekend, so I just rewrote the app to get around any copyright issues.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...unofficial

Thanks for the help anyway everyone :)
Thanks given by:
Any chance to see a wp edition?

Looks funny
Thanks given by:
v62
Thanks given by: