Map Classes
Hello,

It's me again. I've been thinking of starting a few more tournies here and there (well, once .rC and w00p play) and in doing so, I've ben thinking about map classes. Could you guys give me some input on proposed map classes?

[O]fficial Maps. These are maps that are currently in AC's official map pool.
[O-]fficial Map Prospects. These are maps that are not yet official but hope to be someday.
[A]rtistic Maps. These are maps that push the engine with default textures. (Halo)
[T]extured Maps. These are maps that push the engine through the use of custom textures. (Halo)
[G+]ema maps. These are maps designed to test your skill in jumping. These maps do not have invisible platforms or invisible doors/walls.
[G-]ema maps. Same as [G+] maps except invisble platforms and invisible doors/walls are allowed.
[P]layable maps. These maps are not outwardly outlandish (@camper, TT), but are build to be fun to play. They can have walk-throughable doors and such. Think Swat Silent Day 1.2.
[C]ustom maps. These are maps that are really good, but will never be official and everyone just likes playing them. (Halo)
[S]hit maps. Think camper, TwinTowers, and Headshot City.

Would those classes be okay? Is it even okay to have classes?

Thanks for the feedback,
Mousikos
Thanks given by:
[E+]xperimental maps. These are maps using or abusing of a bug/glitch in purpose to completelly change the gameplay. Maps like ac_traped-cube or ac_CLA-Execution.
[E-]xperimental maps. These are maps with different models/textures that change a lot the AC's classic experience. Maps like ac_laser.
Thanks given by:
(19 Dec 14, 02:46AM)ExodusS Wrote: [E+]xperimental maps. These are maps using or abusing of a bug/glitch in purpose to completelly change the gameplay. Maps like ac_traped-cube or ac_CLA-Execution.
[E-]xperimental maps. These are maps with different models/textures that change a lot the AC's classic experience. Maps like ac_laser.

What's the difference between [E-] and [A]?
Thanks given by:
The changing of gameplay via bugs/glitches shouldn't be totally condemned imho and what in all holy heavens is ac_laser?
Thanks given by:
Why not?
Thanks given by:
Quote:Is it even okay to have classes?

Is it even needed to have classes?
Thanks given by:
There are only 2 "classes": ac_ and yourmap_ . Your words are "tags". And i would remove "shit" tag. i would add "arena" map, "fun" map, "new mode" map - means maps which dont have AC gameplay (gema, tennis maps, sniper two towers, tank map etc.)
Thanks given by:
Is lss_brasil included?

And duckhunt?
Thanks given by:
i don't see the point in having map classifications unless you intend to do something with that information.
Thanks given by:
What would be the point? I understand people like to classify things but that's not really a reason.
Thanks given by:
(19 Dec 14, 11:24AM)Undead Wrote: i don't see the point in having map classifications unless you intend to do something with that information.

It would be usefull for RK with his 13K maps database, but it would take years to filter.
Thanks given by:
(19 Dec 14, 12:41PM)ExodusS Wrote:
(19 Dec 14, 11:24AM)Undead Wrote: i don't see the point in having map classifications unless you intend to do something with that information.

It would be usefull for RK with his 13K maps database, but it would take years to filter.

it doesn't really matter unless someone is creating separate master-servers for different kinds of maps, or is dividing official maps into competitive/non-competitive. 
Thanks given by:
I'm going to run a tournament based on these classes
Thanks given by:
I would love to see my maps in the shit map section and that would be for sure a motivation for me to improve.

Im not sure gema +/- or twintower and camper fit with a competitive tournament...

But these classes could be used to run several AC servers with subjective maprot using that.
Thanks given by:
(19 Dec 14, 06:49PM)Halte Wrote: I would love to see my maps in the shit map section and that would be for sure a motivation for me to improve.

Im not sure gema +/- or twintower and camper fit with a competitive tournament...

But these classes could be used to run several AC servers with subjective maprot using that.

There might be a competitive gema tournament even though that would be sort of a niche thing.
Thanks given by:
(19 Dec 14, 10:19AM)Alien Wrote: i would add "arena" map

<3
Thanks given by:
I don't know. Usually the point of labeling something is to make things simpler in the organization process. But your proposed classes and naming scheme seem a bit arbitrary. I'd just keep it simple.
Thanks given by:
official, gema and custom are the only most feasible ones to be considered classes imho.
Thanks given by:
Does anyone have a current database of all known maps?

I'd be interested to see these tags applied for filtering and possible download functionality. Might take up quite a bit of resources to host but I'd be willing to help (not with hosting, cuz fuck that).
Thanks given by:
Yes,
If you want to tag each map, maybe I could make a functionality for that, but I have a database of about 11095 maps.

PM me on IRC or something if you want details.
Thanks given by:
I think the database is over 15000 now.
Thanks given by:
its definitely over 9000
Thanks given by:
Exo, the actual database includes maps it has seen, but may not include downloads for it. So it is ~15000, but missing 3900 ish if I remember right.
Thanks given by:
I remember in 1.1.0.4 was always talk about GEMA tournaments but was never one. When this will happen? and I won't play I'm forever noob :(
Thanks given by: