ac_cavern1.2
i have momentary freedom from stef's oppression, so i give you my rework of cavern. it fixes a number of substantial issues and improves on the map in a number of ways.

change list:
  • removal of map clutter - there are less obstacles impeding movement throughout the map. you should be able to (enjoyably) run through the map without getting caught on stupid shit.
  • evening the elevation of the map - your player shouldn't be bobbing up and down constantly as you run through the map, and you should be able to use slight (or major) elevation changes to your advantage.
  • no bullshit angles - unless it is specifically designed that way (left side of CLA and left side of RVSF are meant to have angles that work in their favour). 
  • addition of two new side tunnels near the right side of each base. the purpose of these tunnels is to provide some counter-play to some would-be viable camping strategies, as well as by improving the flow of the map.
  • widening of each base and removal of popular spawn camp positions (it is still relatively easy to spawn camp, i know, but at least there is some manner of counter-play now)
  • moving of pickups to balance out and improve the flow of the map.
  • removal of the fence on the bridges in the middle of the map (there was no real purpose for them to be there).
  • complete reworking of the room to the right of the CLA base, which was a complete mess. its really pretty now, and a key point of contention on the map, whereas it was just terrible before.
  • probably other shit i did that i cant remember to make the map better
the map is mostly complete. i don't doubt that there are a few issues i probably need to fix, so any feedback is greatly appreciated (and i mean any feedback, it doesn't matter if you're a pro or DrauL, if you have an issue with the map for whatever reason, please tell me why). 

download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/carkg3...ern1.2.zip
Thanks given by:
A++ map
Thanks given by:
official pls
Thanks given by:
kewl. i will play wid dis and report later
Thanks given by:
great map! really enjoyed playing this one, F1 for official
Thanks given by:
I'd speak with you about a few small details, for the rest, it's all good.
Thanks given by:
(09 Dec 14, 02:46PM)Robtics Wrote: great map! really enjoyed playing this one, F1 for official
Thanks given by:
(09 Dec 14, 06:13PM)ReDBuLL Wrote:
(09 Dec 14, 02:46PM)Robtics Wrote: great map! really enjoyed playing this one,  F1 for official

As of now, most enjoyable map out there
Thanks given by:
Yeah, really liked playing this one the other day :) Some nice counterplay available.
Thanks given by:
Note, that this map is already official.

Looks good, but can I suggest that a cardboard box in water doesn't make sense (because if you're stepping on that box all the time, it would just become mush)? ;-)

Let me know when you're ready for me to upload changes to GIT.
Thanks given by:
(09 Dec 14, 10:07PM)RandumKiwi Wrote: Note, that this map is already official.

Looks good, but can I suggest that a cardboard box in water doesn't make sense (because if you're stepping on that box all the time, it would just become mush)? ;-)

Let me know when you're ready for me to upload changes to GIT.

as i said, i wasn't particularly concerned with details. the point of that particular box was so that you don't 'duck' into the river and continue moving. it is easily fixed i guess.

i'll probably make a few slight gameplay adjustments  (i really need feedback here, i cant foresee every silly bullshit situation).

demos would be nice too.

when i can be bothered to complete the map, with details and such, ill send it to you.
Thanks given by:
I can't catch you on IRC so...

At the north of the middle bridge, you should remove the fallen barrel so that you can double jump and be on the bridge in the same amount of time than from the other side of the bridge.

A tunel has an exit that could stuck players, just remove this on both sides of the door.

You can see a base from this tunel and not from this one so I suggest to move the door of the last screenshot to the right so that you can see the RVSF base from the exit of the tunel.

EDIT: You can see if someone is camping in the tunel with the rails (small hole in the wall), you can't in the opposite tunel. And I think it would be cool to find the same sort of hole of the CLA base in the RVSF base. The middle bridge allows to trow grenades in the middle path via a small hole, but only to one side.
Thanks given by:
(10 Dec 14, 04:09AM)ExodusS Wrote: I can't catch you on IRC so...

At the north of the middle bridge, you should remove the fallen barrel so that you can double jump and be on the bridge in the same amount of time than from the other side of the bridge.

A tunel has an exit that could stuck players, just remove this on both sides of the door.

You can see a base from this tunel and not from this one so I suggest to move the door of the last screenshot to the right so that you can see the RVSF base from the exit of the tunel.

EDIT: You can see if someone is camping in the tunel with the rails (small hole in the wall), you can't in the opposite tunel. And I think it would be cool to find the same sort of hole of the CLA base in the RVSF base. The middle bridge allows to trow grenades in the middle path via a small hole, but only to one side.

tyvm. if you want to contact me go on ts-rc.tk

you can do the barrel double jump currently; the fallen barrel just makes it so you have to do it more precisely. this is intended.

i removed the impediment at the tunnel exit. i originally placed that there intentionally, but i realized that it conflicts with the symmetry on the other side of the map.

the most important issue you raised was in the unevenness of the left side of RVSF and CLA. on one hand, not being able to see the other base makes up for the ease by which the CLA side can get into the RVSF left side of base; however, once they get in, the advantageous angles and sneak capability that they get offset that advantage, so something needs to be fixed.

i quite like the way that the left side of CLA is set up, so im not going to change that. instead, i'm going to rework most of the left side of RVSF so that it flows alot better. this will include: shortening the left tunnel (at the moment its much, much longer than the left side of CLA), moving of entrances in that general area, and probably changing the left entrance room to RVSF a bit.

at the moment, i believe CLA is favoured in comparison to RVSF (although it is still relatively balanced compared to almost every other AC map), and i need to rectify this.
Thanks given by:
I refuse to play the map until you get rid of the cardboard box in the water
Thanks given by:
Missing texture.
[Image: WEcC16gs.jpg]
Thanks given by:
^Because of this
Thanks given by:
this version is way better than the previous one imo. I like that map better than mines so I guess thats a very good map. I prefer open map (feeling opressed if i dont see the sky lol) but well done.
Thanks given by: