random high ping
yo

the other day i was at the aura servers to play an inter, and when i connected i had 115 ping to them. I checked to see if i was lagging in TS and on other servers, but there my ping was fine. so we switched to another server to play. A day passed and i went on aura again, and my ping was fine (iirc). Then when i came to aura again today, everywhere my ping was fine, except on aura where i had 115 ping again.

does anyone know what might be the issue?
Thanks given by:
Nope but it's normal for Aura. My average ping to Europe is 120, but sometimes I get 500-700 ping on Aura
Thanks given by:
It was on the 1.1 but:
first game: http://i42.servimg.com/u/f42/15/62/73/68/20120117.jpg

Our ping was anormal and it was like we had over 300 ping at least (not playable at all) so we switched to another server.

second game: http://i42.servimg.com/u/f42/15/62/73/68/20120119.jpg
Thanks given by:
(18 Sep 14, 10:23PM)ExodusS Wrote: It was on the 1.1 but:
first game: http://i42.servimg.com/u/f42/15/62/73/68/20120117.jpg

Ah I remember this :D
fundog hosted that server from his house, it was incredibly laggy. I remember complaining about the fact that it wasn't hosted from a datacenter and he said something about him having fiber optic internet like it made some kind of a difference. I was getting about 43-50 ping (moving) there, which is incredibly high from the UK to a country in mainland europe (EDIT: what my ping in switzerland SHOULD look like - ok the link is broken, it was 24ms).

As for aura, idk where they are hosted (I think in Paris) but my ping there is fine, usually 13ms. However I feel very noticeable hitdrops there, gibbed.me is literally twice as good even though I have about 140 ping there (uk bob still #1 for hitreg tho). I think perhaps it could be something to do with the VPS company, since I've flushed my dns/ip cache multiple times and still have the hitreg issues. You could also try to ping your own router via the console, if you're getting <1ms as a result then the problem isn't on your end.
Thanks given by:
Are you sure it was in his house? Because he has such an high ping for a house-hosted server (over 10) and also, other FD's has pretty good pings on 'his' server while we had very bad ones, and when we switched to the other server, FD's ping didn't change that much when ours greatly decreased.

EDIT: Fundog's server wasn't the only one with this problem, I remember some loki's or idis' server had the same kind of bug, but only with me and a few French players.
Thanks given by:
Surely something has changed.
Always at the end of each game my ping goes up 400% and then normalizes .. This did not happen previously.

I have absurd lag spikes in BoB and Aura servers.
150 to 350 and tto 600 for about 5 seconds .. After return to normal .. happens every 2 minutes.
:(
Thanks given by:
(19 Sep 14, 01:40AM)1Cap Wrote: 150 to 350 and tto 600 for about 5 seconds .. After return to normal .. happens every 2 minutes.
Yeah same to me
Maybe it's a bug or pj problem
Thanks given by:
He told me once that it was in his house, yeah - but I don't actually know for sure where it was hosted. I remember Milandrag and Gazda got about 35 ping from Slovenia. On the other hand, I remember Milandrag got 150 ping to uk.mysick.tk 8 and 9, but not 7. That sounds like it's more of a personal issue for him though. either way, weird
Thanks given by:
(19 Sep 14, 01:40AM)1Cap Wrote: Surely something has changed.
Always at the end of each game my ping goes up 400% and then normalizes .. This did not happen previously.

The intermission is also the time for ladder's servers to upload all the informations needed from the server to the ladder (not only demos), it may lags because of that. But this bugs only happen to me on ladder servers.
Thanks given by:
Australians pointed this out years ago. Pings for us raised by heaps when 1.1 came out.
Thanks given by:
(19 Sep 14, 08:59AM)Orynge Wrote: Australians pointed this out years ago. Pings for us raised by heaps when 1.1 came out.

You have my european support :)

Still dont know the issue/how to fix tho

Maybe lucas/sanzo can help me? (Or whoever knows wsup)
Thanks given by:
Try to perform a traceroute to aura.woop.us and paste the result to us.
Thanks given by:
[Image: fnPbEzv.png]

edit: i did another one and it had slightly lower results
Thanks given by:
(19 Sep 14, 09:38AM)Vanquish Wrote: Try to perform a traceroute to aura.woop.us and paste the result to us.

soooooo?
Thanks given by:
I can't ping the IP of the seventh hop, getting 100% packet loss. Unless you've edited the IP in the console and I've been trying to send packets to a non-existent dataserver. Either way it seems like that's a prominent latency-adding issue. You could try flushing your DNS cache if you haven't done so already. If things get super bad, you could try resetting your TCP/IP stack. I would suggest only doing the latter as a last resort though.

Something I will say is that your first hop is abnormally high too, I'm getting <1ms as a result instead of 5-14ms. Try pinging your router and see what number comes up.

EDIT: Also, I believe AC uses UDP for packet transmission, so not 100% sure the TCP/IP solution will work, but it might be worth a try if nothing else works.
Thanks given by:
ye i just flushed my dns cache

im fairly sure my router is fcked up, but lets hope flushing the dns works aswell

edit: apparently my router is fine :)
Thanks given by: