AC_Toxic2 - Renovated and Remixed!
For the next version of AC, ac_toxic will have a face lift to bring it closer to the typical standard of other AC maps. Included in the niceness, is some minor gameplay changes (see if you can spot some of them - hint, cruise around in editmode).
Additionally, the pickups have become more balanced.

In a bid to make the world a safer place, RVSF paid good money to it's allies to dispose of their nuclear waste. However, in a hasty move to make some quick cash, corrupt allied officials passed on the nuclear waste to CLA, who left it unsecured in this abandoned storage facility.

You can download the map here: http://ac-akimbo.net/showthread.php?tid=1290
OR, in-game, type: /getmap ac_toxic2

You could say it's radioactive. Here's a few screenshots of finished sections for you to enjoy.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=779]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=780]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=781]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=782]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=783]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=784]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=785]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=786]
Thanks given by:
As long as i can still confuse the hell out of people by doing THIS jump you can do what you want ;)

[Image: file.html]

LINK

EDIT: You took away all them platforms!!! hmm.. I will have to play this properly to give my verdict! lol
Thanks given by:
Looks much better! GJ Kiwi
Thanks given by:
(10 Jun 14, 04:57PM)MykeGregory Wrote: As long as i can still confuse the hell out of people by doing THIS jump you can do what you want ;)

You can still do that jump. Here's how that angle looks in the new map.

[Image: CRv8t5t.jpg]

EDIT: Wait, I just tried that jump on ac_toxic (original). How the hell..?
Thanks given by:
(10 Jun 14, 09:35PM)RandumKiwi Wrote:
(10 Jun 14, 04:57PM)MykeGregory Wrote: As long as i can still confuse the hell out of people by doing THIS jump you can do what you want ;)

[Image: CRv8t5t.jpg]

EDIT: Wait, I just tried that jump on ac_toxic (original). How the hell..?

Hax jumping most likely.

Though I've got to hand it to ya RK, I'm really liking the facelift you're giving to ac_toxic. It's long overdue. :)
Thanks given by:
(10 Jun 14, 09:35PM)RandumKiwi Wrote:

[img]
NNOOOO!!!!
I NEED that wooden box at the bottom! BRING IT BAACKK! PLEASE!!

Quote:EDIT: Wait, I just tried that jump on ac_toxic (original). How the hell..?
Double edged sniper jump my friend :)

EDIT: YOU SAW IT HERE FIRST!
Thanks given by:
Yayyyyy.
Wish more maps got updated. Let's take old mappers hostage and force them to fix up their maps...
Thanks given by:
(10 Jun 14, 10:01PM)Nightmare Wrote: Yayyyyy.
Wish more maps got updated. Let's take old mappers hostage and force them to fix up their maps...

No need - they're generally pretty good compared to toxic.
Thanks given by:
(10 Jun 14, 09:59PM)MykeGregory Wrote: NNOOOO!!!!
I NEED that wooden box at the bottom! BRING IT BAACKK! PLEASE!!

Don't worry, I've just moved the garbage bag to where the wooden box was (i.e. clip is the same size as that box).

By the way, that's some voodoo, I still can't make that jump.
Thanks given by:
(10 Jun 14, 10:45PM)RandumKiwi Wrote: [Don't worry, I've just moved the garbage bag to where the wooden box was (i.e. clip is the same size as that box).

By the way, that's some voodoo, I still can't make that jump.
yaay!!
I can do tht jump pretty much on command but cant hax jump to save my life..
Thanks given by:
Did you clip the fences?
Thanks given by:
(11 Jun 14, 01:56AM)ExodusS Wrote: Did you clip the fences?
That's the first thing I asked him. :D
Thanks given by:
So, I was thinking... why should Mr. Hax jump over there (Myke) get a special jump all to himself? Bugger that, I think... this sort of clutters it a little - but it's acceptable:

[Image: byys4sb.jpg]

(11 Jun 14, 08:43AM)jamz Wrote:
(11 Jun 14, 01:56AM)ExodusS Wrote: Did you clip the fences?
That's the first thing I asked him. :D

Does this count? :P
[Image: O2AW6fZ.jpg]
[Image: c2pIzXa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Coding away haxjump's possibility also helps it not get used. :p
Thanks given by:
I wasnt using hax jump to make that.
It was a jumpcrouchjumpcroucSHOOTch

And one barrell would be plenty there. with out the pallet.
Thanks given by:
Woow, i nearly saw anyone playing on that map, maybe that's gonna change now. It seems pretty awesome!
Thanks given by:
(11 Jun 14, 11:53AM)Nightmare Wrote: Coding away haxjump's possibility also helps it not get used. :p

If they REALLY wanted to do that, they'd just go back to ac 1.0. But seriously just make it unbindable.
Thanks given by:
(11 Jun 14, 02:50PM)MykeGregory Wrote: And one barrell would be plenty there. with out the pallet.

On review, I've decided to remove the pallet and all of its barrels. I've left the box there, with it's barrel on top - which is sufficient and makes me feel happier that there's not so much clutter :)
Thanks given by:
(11 Jun 14, 09:47PM)D3M0NW0LF Wrote:
(11 Jun 14, 11:53AM)Nightmare Wrote: Coding away haxjump's possibility also helps it not get used. :p

If they REALLY wanted to do that, they'd just go back to ac 1.0. But seriously just make it unbindable.

It was never a feature, but an exploit. The prerequisites for edge-jumping don't check actual height change, just x millseconds after previous jump AND strafing (which is how you can go faster in narrow ceiling areas by strafing and jumping a lot. Both can be fixed easily by updating edge jumping.
Thanks given by:
(12 Jun 14, 03:02AM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote:
(11 Jun 14, 09:47PM)D3M0NW0LF Wrote:

It was never a feature, but an exploit. The prerequisites for edge-jumping don't check actual height change, just x millseconds after previous jump AND strafing (which is how you can go faster in narrow ceiling areas by strafing and jumping a lot. Both can be fixed easily by updating edge jumping.

So because someone knows how to legit use this 'exploit', without binds, it should be removed because he/she's able to jump higher? It's simply all about timing. Anyone can do it tbh... Then again not alot of people have enough dedication to perform such a precise action...
Thanks given by:
Hope your changes will make the map less unfair
Thanks given by:
Cool RK i like it :D
Thanks given by:
I honestly never thought it looked substandard. And gameplay wise it was perhaps the only official map I could reliably enjoy dm or tdm on. Perhaps this is why the only popular map I made was a gema. Can anyone explain to me what was wrong with the original?
Thanks given by:
(12 Jun 14, 02:04PM)Hellspell Wrote: I honestly never thought it looked substandard. And gameplay wise it was perhaps the only official map I could reliably enjoy dm or tdm on. Perhaps this is why the only popular map I made was a gema. Can anyone explain to me what was wrong with the original?

Don't worry - gameplay is staying mostly the same. As to standard, it will be better.
Thanks given by:
[Image: PZ1QshK.jpg]

This spot is now toxic. The ladder is a death trap now, as it takes ages to climb up. You removed that nice jump from window to armour, too. That is (to me) the best thing about ac_toxic, as it allowed you to move across the map fast. :\

Also, flooding a map with map models does not make it any better. If shit gets in the way – map's shit. If you need an example of a bad map, there's always the new ac_wasteland (or ac_rattrap) to show you what not to do.
Thanks given by:
On testing, I've decided the ladder "deathtrap" is good - it removes advantage from RVSF.

Also, a few of those boxes/models in the screenshot are to be removed. For the most part though, the models are kept out of the way and are there to emphasize the theme of the map (toxic, well.. now, radioactive :P) and the map has no normal 'barrel' models now (i.e. in many cases, the radioactive barrels are just replacing normal barrels).

I'll try and make the ladder easier to climb though.

Re: armour - still very easy to access.
Thanks given by:
Are you making any changes to CLA spawns?
They are quite cluttered in the base.. or at least feel that way.

Could I have download link for the new map? so I can run around and look?
Thanks given by:
(13 Jun 14, 11:39PM)MykeGregory Wrote: Are you making any changes to CLA spawns?
They are quite cluttered in the base.. or at least feel that way.
I've deleted ALL spawns - because, I didn't want to accidentally leave a spawn stuck in a wall while editing, etc. So, yes, they'll be re-done.

(13 Jun 14, 11:39PM)MykeGregory Wrote: Could I have download link for the new map? so I can run around and look?
When it's done ;)

(12 Jun 14, 06:29PM)SKB Wrote: This spot is now toxic. The ladder is a death trap now, as it takes ages to climb up.

I've come to a solution... these boxes ARE stairs.

Additionally, the ladder you see is harder to fall off of, because the barrel up top there, blocks you from falling down to those other barrels down there.

You'll notice that means that the window is no longer a snipers nest.

[Image: LkE880D.jpg]
Thanks given by:
"oh, so that's how they were able to get in and out of this storage facility where they're dumping nuclear waste..."

[Image: Afz361A.jpg]
Thanks given by:
hmm I wonder what texture you've used on top of the green doors. Or maybe the same texture works. Hopefully it has no doorknobs on the top.
Regarding the deathtrap (great film) ladder are we supposed to surmise that when building the facility the assaultcubemen ordered an incorrect size ladder?
Thanks given by: