Inappropriate message?
Hi. I'm wondering why I can't ever say "Hi Counter" to the person named Counter on AC. It always flags my message as inappropriate.
Thanks given by:
Cuz similar to cunt? Idk.
Thanks given by:
Not so experienced in server administrator business, but the admin probably added the word or something similiar like 'count' in his list of prohibited words for the specific server. Not saying it as a justification, but that's just the way it probably is.
Thanks given by:
"Cunt" doesn't seem to be in the default forbidden.cfg for either 1104 or 1202, and as far as I know the server doesn't do "close enough" matches, so it must be something the server op has put in. Maybe they were trying to block "cunt" and misspelled it. Or maybe it's just one of those weird servers like ESP where all sorts of innocuous stuff is blocked. Maybe it would help to take note of which servers this happens on, and see if it's just a few or what.

Also, does it work if you PM him?
Thanks given by:
Solution: Go to a server that isn't forbidden.cfg'd

* RandumKiwi doesn't like restricting speech with a forbidden.cfg on his servers
Thanks given by:
on exodus servers "knife" is a forbidden word.
Thanks given by:
Whilst we're on this topic:

I used the voicecom 'Recover the flag!' and it flagged me just now...?
Thanks given by:
(24 Dec 13, 02:37AM)mpx Wrote: on exodus servers "knife" is a forbidden word.

Let's see ...

Exodus forbidden.cfg Wrote://temp
shit map
knife
noob

lol

Quote:power hungry

*ahem*

Quote:ain't

Haha what

Quote:xrd.me

???

So, as we can see here, usage of the forbidden.cfg sometimes goes to silly extents.
Thanks given by:
Let's see if you can guess what would be on mine XD
Thanks given by:
I am PreSSion

Quote:hello: teammates - make sure you all stand on the flag so I can't score
Watch your language! Your message was not delivered.
:/
Thanks given by:
(24 Dec 13, 04:28AM)Jack Wrote:
(24 Dec 13, 02:37AM)mpx Wrote: on exodus servers "knife" is a forbidden word.

Let's see ...

Exodus forbidden.cfg Wrote://temp
shit map
knife
noob

Players kept saying "Knife Only"

Players said someone is noob just because they killed that player

And some players call map shit map

lol

Quote:power hungry

*ahem*
IDK O.o
Quote:ain't
Ain't have no time for that!
Haha what

Quote:xrd.me
Repeating spam with xrd.me from players who want to do matches
???

So, as we can see here, usage of the forbidden.cfg sometimes goes to silly extents.
Thanks given by:
First Amendment
Watch your language! Your message was not delivered.
Thanks given by:
[Image: Lvxfy7T.png]

ridiculous.
Thanks given by:
Why do we have this forbidden list? Make it like EA policy, online experience is unrated or something like that, and it's not like this game is rated G for shit's sake :]
Thanks given by:
(25 Dec 13, 07:29PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: Why do we have this forbidden list? Make it like EA policy, online experience is unrated or something like that, and it's not like this game is rated G for shit's sake :]

I completely agree with this.
Thanks given by:
(25 Dec 13, 07:29PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: Why do we have this forbidden list? Make it like EA policy, online experience is unrated or something like that, and it's not like this game is rated G for shit's sake :]

i definitely agree.
following on, is there any real reason to use a nickname blacklist? i think the only people who give two craps if someone uses "fucktruck" in a server are egotistical server admins. i've never had anyone cause an issue using hilariously offensive names in inters or matches.
Thanks given by:
(27 Dec 13, 08:50PM)Undead Wrote: ...is there any real reason to use a nickname blacklist? i think the only people who give two craps if someone uses "fucktruck" in a server are egotistical server admins...

What about when people call them selves "Hitler" and "BabyRaper"?
Thanks given by:
(27 Dec 13, 11:02PM)MykeGregory Wrote:
(27 Dec 13, 08:50PM)Undead Wrote: ...is there any real reason to use a nickname blacklist? i think the only people who give two craps if someone uses "fucktruck" in a server are egotistical server admins...

What about when people call them selves "Hitler" and "BabyRaper"?

No problems here either, the sacred right to be a douche online needs to be preserved!!
Thanks given by:
It's only offensive if you find it so :D
Thanks given by:
I don't believe forbidden word blacklists are needed.

Free speech etc
Thanks given by:
I don't agree with fucking free speech, fuck that shite! You can't allow people to say whatever they want! Why in this case do we have forum rules about racism, harassment and such?

Having relatives burned down to hashes in concentration camps during WW2 it does piss me off when I see brainless dumb cunts with nicks like 'HH88' 'Rommel' 'Hitler' and such.

Freedom of speech? Yeah! Let's have like in the USA nazis demonstrating down the road with full on uniforms and flags with huge swastikas.

If I have to give you the freedom of speech I'll then give myself the right to senselessly punch your sorry twat face!
Thanks given by:
(28 Dec 13, 09:54AM)Cleaner Wrote: If I have to give you the freedom of speech I'll then give myself the right to senselessly punch your sorry twat face!
I would have no problem with that, however, I am certainly not paying for the plane ticket.
And don't swear so much, mate. It takes away the potential beauty of your words and the arguments they incite. Remember there is no freedom of speech on these forums, and you are not allowed to express yourself in such manners. We don't want users to write their posts in such anarchic ways, otherwise we have to punch them in the face because, hey, that is something we do have right to do, right?
Thanks given by:
This isn't something that we need to have a consistent opinion on, really. If a server is privately operated, it's not bound by constitutional freedom of speech or anything like that; it's up to the operator. If they have issues with people saying certain things, then they'll block the words and that's the end of it. If they don't, then they leave it open and people can say whatever they want. And then, if the admin isn't there, players will take moderation into their own hands, and if someone is found to be too offensive by the current majority on the server, they'll vote to kick. This kind of problem pretty much takes care of itself.

(And there's always /ignore, of course.)
Thanks given by:
The right to choose and the right to say whatever the hell you want it they have to go together. I couldn't care less about hurting anyone's feelings if that would ultimately guarantee my right to choose. Hell, I would piss on someone's family portrait to keep my right to vote.
Thanks given by:
[Image: 812511wtf.jpg]
Ok, now I apologize to nobody kkk (jk)!

/Ontopic
There is a big difference between the forum and ingame administration...
(Just censure the most used insult and banned nick, not more IMO);
Example: the famous f***k and Hitler username.

Moreover, some agent are always here to catch'zem all!
Our community is well secured. ;-D
Thanks given by:
There is a difference between freedom of speech, and being disrespectful/straight up offensive. If someone pisses you off in real life, you punch them, or sue them. Someone pisses me off online, I ban them or kick them.
Thanks given by:
Server owners pay like 10 billion dollars a month. They can ban whatever words they want. It's kind of nice to play a friendly pub without immature kids once in a while.
Thanks given by:
(28 Dec 13, 05:22PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: ...or sue them.
So American. huehuehueheuhue
Thanks given by:
Also ban the name Alva pls, he killed thousands of dutchies around 1500...
Thanks given by:
(27 Dec 13, 11:02PM)MykeGregory Wrote: What about when people call them selves "Hitler" and "BabyRaper"?

what is the issue here? its only offensive if you're trying to be offended. its not as if they're screaming sieg heil in your face.

(28 Dec 13, 09:54AM)Cleaner Wrote: I don't agree with fucking free speech, fuck that shite! You can't allow people to say whatever they want!

free speech and the right to vote go hand in hand.
perhaps a badly paraphrased quotation from dear Mao is appropriate (may his irreplaceable soul rest in peace).
"if someone needs to fart, let them fart. then, others can see if it stinks or not."

(28 Dec 13, 05:22PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: There is a difference between freedom of speech, and being disrespectful/straight up offensive. If someone pisses you off in real life, you punch them, or sue them. Someone pisses me off online, I ban them or kick them.

all of these options are immediate and simplistic. you can construe small things, like facial gestures, as offensive. response depends on the condition of the afflicted. these actions certainly do not warrant a punch to the face.

similarly, in the online world, you do not need to ban everyone who might offend you, unless you are completely lacking in empathy for your victim. i think this action commonly occurs because most people on the internet possess an ego greatly inflated in respect to their real life persona. even the slightest tap will cause the egotistical admin to flip.

http://i.imgur.com/69SqXg4.jpg

on the internet, and indeed in AC, moderation should be weak and only be used in response to intentive abuse. these forums provide all the evidence we need to see that any unreasonable restriction on free speech leads to the declination of quality discussion.

(28 Dec 13, 12:20PM)Jack Wrote: This isn't something that we need to have a consistent opinion on, really. If a server is privately operated, it's not bound by constitutional freedom of speech or anything like that; it's up to the operator.

of course. with access to unrestricted and unchecked power, server operators have the ability to operate their own petty authoritarian despotisms if they so choose to, and in fact often do so. is this what is best for the player, though? without any checks on administrative power, we just have to hope that the admins are benevolent.
Thanks given by: