Forum downtime?
Anderson, its fine, I am still just pissed.
My apologies, see this link.
It wasn't the fact I lost money, it was the principle. I can happily go spend $200 a month on hosting but this group of people with a botnet is ballsy. No matter what I do they will hit it. It's the principle.
RiJaKr is hosting the site at the moment and "sustaining ~18gbps ddos right now". At one point it was around 30gbps. (Rich?)

Edited the link to pastebin. Still the same news post.
Thanks given by:
Well, seems that your link is down now...
It's impossible to survive a DDOS with just one server, or even with more servers if the DDOS is too strong.

But if your server is DDOSed about 30Gbps, that means that the datacenter must have a connection faster than 30Gbps to keep his other clients in the air. But not only the bandwidth, but his hardware must also be strong enough to respond to the number of connection/queries/request.

And sometimes in the datacenter they must make a choice, keep your server connected to the internet and risking that his whole network goes down. Or 'disconnect' your server and keep all the other servers safely up ;)
Thanks given by:
(22 Aug 13, 09:14AM)DrauL Wrote: RiJaKr is hosting the (iF*) site at the moment and "sustaining ~18gbps ddos right now". At one point it was around 30gbps. (Rich?)

Update, for those who are interested: Site is down again.
Is there anything we can do to put an end to this bullshit? It's getting ridiculous.
Thanks given by:
dodge bull3ts
Thanks given by:
The standard way to deal with this kind of attack would be with a hardware firewall to prevent the attack reaching your server, you could try http://deflate.medialayer.com/ that is a script for linux I assume you are linux based? I have not tried it myself but it looks good.
Thanks given by:
^I think, if it was that easy, FBI, the White House website dtc... would already block those DDOS attacks, there is no effective way to fight against it.
Thanks given by:
Its easy, and it assists, its just not the end all solution.
Thanks given by:
Well newest correspondence from RiJaKr:

Rich Wrote:upstream null routed the network the site is on. I have a call in to see what can be done. This means that the site is down indefinitely until either a) they remove null route b) site is moved to another host

We are still being affected even though the main attack is off of AC.
Hooray us.
Thanks given by:
I thinks I know who it is.
Thanks given by:
Tell us fooolio.
Thanks given by:
Well, if the DDoS strikes over what the data center can withstand/hold, the DC will most likely just null route you and save themselves the trouble of paying extra fees. Also, remember the other clients on the same node that will get equally affected if you get DDoSed.

The script from medialayer is absolute bulls*** against UDP floods. Infact, many mitigation methods will not work since if the pipe is flooded, it's flooded. The only way to mitigate this attacks are to use physical firewalls that plug in direct at the main source of the cable.

That's my input. Now one last thing, whoever ddosed the master server in particular, screw you. Really, just screw you <3
Thanks given by:
(23 Aug 13, 06:48PM)DES|Anderson Wrote: The standard way to deal with this kind of attack would be with a hardware firewall to prevent the attack reaching your server

^^ As I had already pointed out hardware firewalls before the server kill this kind of attack! The script is what the script is, a very basic tool to assist those without the necessary hardware to deal with an attack. There are some other things that can be done but I will not discuss them openly here and they are dependent on the type of attack. To say there is no defense against these type of attacks is quite frankly ludicrous, yes they are a pain and yes they take resources but many many organisations including governments and military sites carry on quite well thank you due to the hard work and diligence of the IT security community. I was trying to be helpful but clearly you guys do not want or need any help so I will not post any further regarding this subject.
Thanks given by:
Andy, remember that you aren't talking to the people who would need your help. If you have any help to give, feel free to contact relevant people through more private channels.
Thanks given by: