Poll: Should a modified, dedicated client be made and implemented for ACWC?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
we'd like all players to have same client
95.74%
45 95.74%
we'd like to have it be as open as possible
4.26%
2 4.26%
Total 47 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

ACWC 2012 Dedicated client?
As was brought up in another post, if a client could be made to disable free spectate and make sure that all players were playing fairly by only sharing the source (presumably by larry), would everyone participating support only playing with the release binaries.

Some benefits would get rid of the discussion with having benched players, etc. etc.

Leave your comments here so we accurately judge whether this is something that should be implemented/we should spend time on.
Thanks given by:
I say we start discussing what we want in this client, and yes I agree with the idea.
Thanks given by:
i think it should be default with two changes, disable free spect, and "cryptographic hashes" that give output to make sure the players are using that exact client. that way, it wouldn't alter gameplay and we could play on any servers with the client. If we alter it too much, it could become a thing where we'd have to play /modconnect all the time and i don't think anyone really wants that.
Thanks given by:
Talk on public should be forbidden if you are a spectator.
Thanks given by:
Dial-up...fuck life
Thanks given by:
it's a good idea reedie, but larry seems to think the majority of spectators won't be using the client, as well as you would not want that in a public server. there are server switches on three of the main servers (BoB, MyS, and also the FD) servers have them if they'll be used. so in general, i dont think the talking will be a problem.
Thanks given by:
You could also possibly think about doing some server side coding.
Thanks given by:
(01 May 12, 05:23AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: You could also possibly think about doing some server side coding.

If we require special servers too this gives us less options where to play and may mean we have to settle for worse servers. Neither reporting hashes or disabling free-spectate would require modded servers though.
Thanks given by:
It was just a thought. There might be a way to limit who non specs can see depending on their team and occlusion through the server.

I'm pretty sure server side changes would be preferred by the players.
Thanks given by:
This dedicated client thing has worked great on Sauerbraten (PSL and now SWL). I see no reason why this shouldn't be made.
Thanks given by:
Same Client
Thanks given by:
This can also be done, through server-side. Just froze the spectators (subs), that they dont have an open-view.

Well, i dont have anything against an special client for all, but is it possible to change fov, texreduce, crosshair for example there ?

Probably we could use the demo analyzer of mosschops, wich is integrated in the oNe website. This is not only fine for catching some cheaters, also its provide some statistics.
Thanks given by:
wouldn't need to waste time watching demos if acwc had a dedicated client, it could lead to greater things as well, AC Pr0Mod???
Thanks given by:
I agree and I have some ideas :p

Make a client like that :
http://gsforce.net/?q=node/43
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-4400.html

The client with geoip is not 64 bits yet but jpablon is working on :p
I would have both in one :p
Thanks given by:
Can they not install their aimbots on the new client? :s
Thanks given by:
great idea, no more worrying about who is cheating and who is not :)
Thanks given by:
(01 May 12, 12:07PM)Elite Wrote: Well, i dont have anything against an special client for all, but is it possible to change fov, texreduce, crosshair for example there ?

The client would behave like the default one. Literally just integrity checks and disabled free-spectate in matchmode.
Thanks given by:
(01 May 12, 12:29PM)Vermi Wrote: it could lead to greater things as well, AC Pr0Mod???

Someone really needs to get on this.

And yeah, great idea.
Thanks given by:
i will slightly go offtopic here and i am sorry for that but i wanted to say why i like idea about dedicated client. Last night waff, rofl and myself played sonic, fury and hera (calling themselves brasilian national team, probably because of all the attention we give to ACWC these days). I will publicly say that i think all 3 are cheaters. But don't judge me just yet. If they can hold that level of play with dedicated clients, i think apologies are in order. :) Just to be clear, every fool (like myself) can think whatever he wants, so don't listen to me. The important thing is that lot of players (that are suspected of cheating, or even been bl for cheating) can clear their names simply by playing at their usual level with dedicated acwc clients. All win.

P.S. Thank you Larry for doing this and community for supporting this great idea with (so far) 25 to 0 in favor of dedicated clients.
Thanks given by:
(01 May 12, 10:00PM)RAMPAGE Wrote: i will slightly go offtopic here and i am sorry for that but i wanted to say why i like idea about dedicated client. Last night waff, rofl and myself played sonic, fury and hera (calling themselves brasilian national team, probably because of all the attention we give to ACWC these days). I will publicly say that i think all 3 are cheaters. But don't judge me just yet. If they can hold that level of play with dedicated clients, i think apologies are in order. :) Just to be clear, every fool (like myself) can think whatever he wants, so don't listen to me. The important thing is that lot of players (that are suspected of cheating, or even been bl for cheating) can clear their names simply by playing at their usual level with dedicated acwc clients. All win.

P.S. Thank you Larry for doing this and community for supporting this great idea with (so far) 25 to 0 in favor of dedicated clients.

I don't think HeRa is a hacker, but yes I'm fully sure that the others are using something funny. I completely agree with (the rest of) this post and the idea of a dedicated client, I think in some cases it will be hilarious to watch a "good AC player" suddenly have a "really bad day" when he's forced to play with this new client. And ofc there are the practical advantages such as the disabling of free spec, etc.

F1 to special clients!
Thanks given by:
27-0 ! xD

Fckn great idea.. solves SOOO many problems
Thanks given by:
28 ;)
Great idea, remove the ghost mode and fix some bugs. Please fix that hitreg bugs! Eh, im not going to play acwc anyway so good luck with that.
Thanks given by:
Gonna be funny when half the players start "sucking" during the ACWC.
Thanks given by:
(01 May 12, 11:18PM)Nightmare Wrote: Gonna be funny when half the players start "sucking" during the ACWC.

I relish this <3
Thanks given by:
inb4Jasonsucks

release; Make sure you realease the client like a week before it starting so we can set up our shit to what we're used to.
Thanks given by:
(02 May 12, 12:41AM)Xenon Wrote: inb4Jasonsucks
(12 Mar 12, 07:37AM)RealViking Wrote: Oh the irony.
Thanks given by:
(02 May 12, 12:41AM)Xenon Wrote: inb4Jasonsucks

release; Make sure you realease the client like a week before it starting so we can set up our shit to what we're used to.

imo, you should release the ACWC client at the maximum, 1 day before the event starts. how hard is it for anyone playing to move a couple of cfg's over?
Thanks given by:
(02 May 12, 02:36AM)Harps Wrote:
(02 May 12, 12:41AM)Xenon Wrote: release; Make sure you realease the client like a week before it starting so we can set up our shit to what we're used to.

imo, you should release the ACWC client at the maximum, 1 day before the event starts. how hard is it for anyone playing to move a couple of cfg's over?

You won't need to set anything extra up. All you'd need to do is copy the AC binary to your AC directory (backing up your old AC binary). Settings and scripts should work the same. Probably it will get released a week before.
Thanks given by:
(02 May 12, 04:04AM)Roflcopter Wrote:
(02 May 12, 02:36AM)Harps Wrote:
(02 May 12, 12:41AM)Xenon Wrote: release; Make sure you realease the client like a week before it starting so we can set up our shit to what we're used to.

You won't need to set anything extra up. All you'd need to do is copy the AC binary to your AC directory (backing up your old AC binary). Settings and scripts should work the same. Probably it will get released a week before.

Xenon meant to give him time so he can put all his hax in place ;)
Thanks given by:
HAVE IT BASED OFF OF THE 1.0.4 RELEASE AND I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER AND EVER!!!!!!
Thanks given by: