AC_Douze is ruining things?
This is one of the reasons why a map dependant variable maxclients feature on the servers could be awesome. It would have to be tied into the maprot somehow I would suppose, but while douze is playing the maxclients could be set to 6 or so, and while urban is playing it could go back up to the usual maxclients. The only problem being that maps that are set to a low maxclients limit could not be played if the current number of players exceed the limit (without kicking a bunch of random clients anyways, which is unacceptable) - so really it would only be good for using small maps like douze to get some players onto the server, then go on to play larger maps with a higher maxclients limit to bring in even more.

Douze doesn't play well with more than 8 players. It never plays well in CTF either. Therefore I see it as a FFA only map, so removing team spawns and flags isn't a crazy idea. That is all just IMHO so don't take it to heart.
Thanks given by:
@makke
i know you said that, but soon after, i lost the files i had, so i figured that you could use the version i sent as the grounds for the pick-ups, only thing that was totally different in my version as opposed to yours was textures and spawns (i mean, you know, other then what you wanted to keep from the old vs what you wanted out of mine)
Thanks given by:
(12 Nov 11, 12:27AM)Bukz Wrote: This is one of the reasons why a map dependant variable maxclients feature on the servers could be awesome. It would have to be tied into the maprot somehow I would suppose, but while douze is playing the maxclients could be set to 6 or so, and while urban is playing it could go back up to the usual maxclients. The only problem being that maps that are set to a low maxclients limit could not be played if the current number of players exceed the limit (without kicking a bunch of random clients anyways, which is unacceptable) - so really it would only be good for using small maps like douze to get some players onto the server, then go on to play larger maps with a higher maxclients limit to bring in even more.

Douze doesn't play well with more than 8 players. It never plays well in CTF either. Therefore I see it as a FFA only map, so removing team spawns and flags isn't a crazy idea. That is all just IMHO so don't take it to heart.

why not be forced to spectate instead of random kicks?

Thanks given by:
Would you be willing to sit there for the entire next round (possibly more) and just spectate or just go find another server? :p
Thanks given by:
(12 Nov 11, 12:39AM)Vermi Wrote: why not be forced to spectate instead of random kicks?

Beat me to it.
Thanks given by:
Taking out the flags fixes only 50% of the big problems imo.
Fix the spawns to and we are close to 100% fix.
Thanks given by:
Bukz why you copy my post?!?!?!
<3 :)
FFA only douze = <3
Thanks given by:
(12 Nov 11, 12:41AM)Bukz Wrote: Would you be willing to sit there for the entire next round (possibly more) and just spectate or just go find another server? :p

Not in ac's current pub scene, but if hi skill were to return i would spectate and wait for a position to become available
Thanks given by:
If you want an actual game then yea it sucks... as most ppl that play douze are nubs. So it's pretty much every man for himself.

Whenever, I play on a public server that isn't a ladder, I try to work on a particular skill/tactic/weapon. I do this on all maps not just douze.
Thanks given by:
The maxclients idea could work with some compromises. Perhaps a random group could be forced to spectate, and every time someone dies, switch with that person so that everyone gets a chance to play.
Yeah, it would suck to have to wait, but
1) It wouldn't suck as much as CTF ac_douze with 16-20 people.
2) Some people would get tired of waiting before others do, and leave voluntarily -- allowing others more of a chance to play.
Thanks given by:
No-one has to be kicked or forced to spectate. My idea was that if the number of players in the server is greater than the map 'supports', it's not loaded. Simple. The maprot just selects the next valid map, exactly as it does now. If ac_douze is playing, and maxclients is set to 6, the server is capped at 6 until the end of the round. One problem would be if the maprot was badly compiled, and the server never 'expanded', because the only valid maps had a low maxclient - it'd take a little bit more thought on the part of the server owner. Most of the current servers on the MS have default maprots though.
Of course, all of this is still relying on the server owner not being a douche..."set all maxclients to 20, start server, forget about it"... Also, there would have to be some method to cope with voted maps. Maybe the server owner sets the limit for each map/mode and the server displays an error if the number of players present exceeds this.

It's not ac_douze that's ruining things; AC has been this way since I've been playing, just with different maps at different times. I'm led to believe (by the hipsters in the community) that there was a time, before the 1.0 release, when this wasn't the case.
As an extra consideration, has anyone considered the impact on new players of having ac_douze as the introductory demo map?
Thanks given by:
You're right, halo. Lazyness on my part, I admit it. Would you care to make me a new version with your vision of spawns/items ? I'd then have a look at bringing the wqd down.

I am all for restricting the maxclients per map. About 3 years( or is it already 4, OMG tempus fugit) ago, I suggested to limit ALL servers to 8 clients max, but I was overvoted by the rest of the dev team. So we ended up with a max of 20 back then. A "per map" solution would be something for the new devs to work out. It sounds like a good idea to me at least, as long as it can be implemented in a practical fashion.

The big problem with any online shooter is that one map will be incredibly overplayed. Dust2, q3dm6...(insert modern shooter's overplayed maps here that I have no idea of) - you know what I am talking about. It probably was a mistake to put in douze at all, but it happened when drian and me were caught in a cube-ish nostalgica-mood. I apologize.

If the map is good, and suits the gameplay (like q3dm6) - all is fine. Not so good if the map doesn't really fit the intended gameplay, but still becomes the most popular (like douze).
As others have mentioned - douze was initially designed as a 1on1 cube map. Not too ideal for AC.
Note that I won't push any decision here, since I can hardly be called an active dev anymore. I'm just an elder now :) We'll see what happens.
Thanks given by:
(12 Nov 11, 06:14PM)jamz Wrote: My idea was that if the number of players in the server is greater than the map 'supports', it's not loaded. Simple.
That may still be frustrating, admittedly in a more limited sense, when people try to vote in the map and some other map loads.

Quote:As an extra consideration, has anyone considered the impact on new players of having ac_douze as the introductory demo map?
D:
Thanks given by:
the douze map is good and favorite, it is not enemy map for you, the solution is just offer alternative or better map

if you will ban or change the map, you will get next 12 haters per server = 60 ~ 100 haters, it means bad responses and bad credit for the game, you have learned nothing from the past ... it is still the same song ...

next you can see that the quality of map is minor, in this game it is about people-online and not about maps-online, therefore that popular ezjemvill ...
Thanks given by:
Alien, so according to you we should simply give up making nice, detailed maps?
Thanks given by:
This is not abour details, the ac_douze gameplay is more for Cube than AssaultCube.
There is no real strategy in flag as in frags, you always (90%) see your opponents, same for him.
What mean official maps now? To have your name on the read-me?
Public maps (ladder or not) shouldn't be official cause they just don't need it to be played.
Do you imagine ac_douze in clan matches?
Thanks given by:
(12 Nov 11, 06:14PM)jamz Wrote: No-one has to be kicked or forced to spectate. My idea was that if the number of players in the server is greater than the map 'supports', it's not loaded. Simple.
WORD.
Thanks given by:

(12 Nov 11, 06:14PM)jamz Wrote: No-one has to be kicked or forced to spectate. My idea was that if the number of players in the server is greater than the map 'supports', it's not loaded. Simple.
That would be sheer brilliance if it was implmented.

Thanks given by:

The perfect solution!
Thanks given by:
/kick # reason:too many players for douze
Thanks given by:
(14 Nov 11, 07:16AM)Vermi Wrote: /kick # reason:too many players for douze
The oppisite of the perfect sulution.
Thanks given by:
(14 Nov 11, 07:16AM)MOOM Wrote: [Image: 89e70ba621424af0aac7e59.png]

Thanks given by:
(12 Nov 11, 08:29PM)V-Man Wrote:
Quote:As an extra consideration, has anyone considered the impact on new players of having ac_douze as the introductory demo map?
D:

HA! nobody listened when I said: Lets take ac_complex, the court between the garage entrance, the 50 armor and the bridge is perfect! :P
Thanks given by:
<3 B}Nightmare
Thanks given by:
Just so you know, all these comments can be held to any map, so you may want to retract some of these when you consider the past, and dust2 ;)

Speaking of being 'unable to control what players play' you seemed to of done a good enough job eliminating EzJem + dust2...

You're right, douze is messing up AC. HISTORY IS REPEATING ITSELF D:
Thanks given by:
(17 Nov 11, 11:36PM)pezcavariada Wrote: como le hacen apra ser tan genios ustedes che en estas cosas de server

/translation; I LIKE DOUZE HUAHUA
Thanks given by:
No, it means I LIKE SPAM HUAHUA
;)
Thanks given by:
I think we should keep it. I like finding douze in Cube and Sauer- and seeing their versions. However, without teleporters, it's slightly awkward.
Thanks given by:
Thank God for BoB Ladder.
Otherwise pubs would be 100% douze
Thanks given by:
BoB ladder? with ac_village and ac_village2 in the maprot, please.
Thanks given by: