Poll: Allow @camper (and similar) maps in a server's maprotation?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
39.56%
36 39.56%
No
60.44%
55 60.44%
Total 91 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Maprotation Quality
(07 Jun 11, 05:56PM)Bukz Wrote: Tbh, if it is a good map, I don't care what it's named, as long as it is relatively easy to vote for manually. (I rarely use menus. :p)

On the topic of using menus vs. manually voting, I personally think it would help to eliminate the "Show all maps..." option for changing map/mode. Usually noobs don't know about manual voting so it could be a deterrent.
Thanks given by:
Or maybe "Show all maps..." could be replaced with "Custom map..." and would pull up a textbox so you can type the name of the map.

Still newbie-friendly, but also deters from the ridiculous file names.
Thanks given by:
Just get rid of all special characters besides _ and - in map names. I'm sure some people here already know the bug with receiving a map that has a special character in its name that isn't supported (i.e. the crazy seizure spawn bug).
Thanks given by:
I don't. Do tell.

And I like VenteX's idea. I can see that being usable.
Thanks given by:
I don't know that bug either, but blocking all special characters like !, ?, %, etc, and only accepting the dashes Viper mentioned (- and _) and maybe a few others would be great to get rid of the incredibly absurd names mappers come up with these days.
Thanks given by:
OH GAWD U R CHAINING MI CRETIVATY BI NOT ALOWWING ME TO UES ANI CHARACTER IN THE MAP NAM HOW WILL I FULLI EXPERSS MI ARTITSIC JENIUS WITHOWT THE USE UF TEH EXCLAMTIONMARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
(08 Jun 11, 07:12AM)Lantry Wrote: OH GAWD U R CHAINING MI CRETIVATY BI NOT ALOWWING ME TO UES ANI CHARACTER IN THE MAP NAM HOW WILL I FULLI EXPERSS MI ARTITSIC JENIUS WITHOWT THE USE UF TEH EXCLAMTIONMARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you're a strange kid
Thanks given by:
he's the sex.

But yeah, less punctuations!!! There is one use to the pastry though: it allows you to sort out maps that you don't want to play easily from the server list.
Thanks given by:
Hey, lets all play some dust_2
Thanks given by:
And while we're at it, lets bring back 40 person servers! :D :D :D
Thanks given by:
Its not all "noobs" on @camper and such. ;)
Just checked an @camper server and there were a few players in well known clans, playing on it.
Thanks given by:
I must admit that I find standing in the secret room behind one of the spawns with my aim on the point where people's heads appear is deeply therapeutic. Squish squish squish
Thanks given by:
(08 Jun 11, 05:55PM)Nightmare Wrote: Its not all "noobs" on @camper and such. ;)
Just checked an @camper server and there were a few players in well known clans, playing on it.

[Image: teehee128643165721235724.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm pretty new to this game so I'm wondering if I'm missing a point here. It seems that there are a lot of people saying that no one is allowed to play maps they don't like. If that's true, how do y'all justify imposition of your visions on those who run the servers? If you don't like a map, don't play it. If you don't like a server, don't play it. I tend to play the official maps but at times I fancy something weird. I suck at gemas but still enjoy them. HSC_003 is a masterpiece that I only truly appreciate since I've started making my own maps. The @campers are infuriating and yet I still find myself in the mood for them at times. I can't, however, stick ac_scaffold; it just grates somehow. I'd never tell anyone they couldn't play it though, I just avoid it myself.

If this is really such a problem having separate menus for official and unofficial maps (as several have suggested) would solve it. Unless, that is, the problem is freedom of choice. If so we may as well abandon the whole open source thing and prosecute those who defy us.

(I say us, I'd be doing something else, maybe pac-man).
Thanks given by:
(09 Jun 11, 07:13AM)Cheesemonster Wrote: If this is really such a problem having separate menus for official and unofficial maps (as several have suggested) would solve it.

That's already been done since forever. The maps menu shows you the official maps, and once you click on "Show all maps" it shows you all the unofficial maps.

Thanks given by:
(09 Jun 11, 07:13AM)Cheesemonster Wrote: I'm pretty new to this game so I'm wondering if I'm missing a point here. It seems that there are a lot of people saying that no one is allowed to play maps they don't like. If that's true, how do y'all justify imposition of your visions on those who run the servers? If you don't like a map, don't play it. If you don't like a server, don't play it. I tend to play the official maps but at times I fancy something weird. I suck at gemas but still enjoy them. HSC_003 is a masterpiece that I only truly appreciate since I've started making my own maps. The @campers are infuriating and yet I still find myself in the mood for them at times. I can't, however, stick ac_scaffold; it just grates somehow. I'd never tell anyone they couldn't play it though, I just avoid it myself.

I pretty much agree with everything in that section of your comment. Even down to the scaffold bit.
Thanks given by:
(09 Jun 11, 07:13AM)Cheesemonster Wrote: HSC_003 is a masterpiece that I only truly appreciate since I've started making my own maps.

WIN. HSC_003 is great for team games... I don't see how it is [sometimes] classified as a @camper though. There is like 16 different routes. It's well done in CTF, but the shotty usage is DUMB.

Why can't nc|armed run it 24/7 anymore? (I'm not returning to super-nooby, just wondering.)

Edit: Stupid re-point making
Thanks given by:
On another note. N votes are still in the lead : )
Thanks given by:
(12 Jun 11, 05:38PM)Cemer Wrote: Why can't nc|armed run it 24/7 anymore?[/b] (I'm not returning to super-nooby, just wondering.)
If it did run that map 24/7, the devs would remove his server from the masterserver.

Thanks given by:
(09 Jun 11, 03:11AM)|BC|Wolf Wrote:
(08 Jun 11, 05:55PM)Nightmare Wrote: Its not all "noobs" on @camper and such. ;)

[Image: teehee128643165721235724.jpg]

Yeah maybe you know the guy leading RVSF in this game. ;)
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356...er_TDM.jpg

And there is a BOPE guy there as well. And that was a ctf douze game before it changed to camper@camper.
xD <3 wolf.
Thanks given by:
As maprestriction quality getting tighter and tighter, there will be more fun maps.

In fact, people will get ideas for map like...

Anti-jump
Logic Thinking Map
One-Way Tunnel
Circle Map
Crawling-only Map
Mini-rooms map
MiniTwinTowers
MiniHeadshotCity
MiniKingOfTheHills
FreakingCrowdedMap
Thanks given by:
Yes! There should be no restrictions on what maps are allowed, except as decided by each server admin, of course. This was one of the things that made AC unique and cool, and its a shame that the idea has been abandoned.
Thanks given by:
I think those @camper and similar maps shouldn't be allowed. Quality restrictions should be stronger. Something should be done about those ridiculously high open spaces and those walk-through walls. Servers running those maps shouldn't appear in the masterserver list.

The map editor is a very nice feature, but it wasn't meant for people to "create" crappy ugly stupid maps as "contributions" to the game.

I know, everyone should be allowed to play whatever map he likes, but I think those maps are not contributing to the game, they are detrimental to it.

The first thing is, they are hideous, stupid and boring. I guess most people who download AC for the first time and connect to a server running one of those maps won't play much more than 2 minutes before deciding that AC is a really ugly crappy stupid game and uninstalling it. And they'll probably tell all their friends it's not even worth looking into. I think AC is losing potential players there.

The other thing is, some people get used to playing those maps and are damn lost when they suddenly find themselves on a good map. They just can't play right, get fragged every 3 seconds, and the first thing they do is vote back one of the crappy maps they are used to. It happens again and again and again, so even if these servers are not officially playing @camper maps 24/7, in reality that's exactly what they do. Due to this fact, there are times when you can't find anyone playing on "good" servers, and the few servers that are almost full are all running those stupid maps.

Finally, I think those maps are an insult to mappers who spend a lot of time creating smart, detailed, well-lighted, visually stunning maps. A few beautiful new maps have appeared in TyD servers maprotations over the last few months, but there are times when TyD servers are empty and there are 4 or 5 servers running some @camper variety which are almost full.

So either those maps shouldn't be allowed altogether, or they should be blocked in some way frome appearing on the masterserver, or they should be relegated to the bottom of the list.
Thanks given by:
(28 Jun 11, 01:31PM)Lumpaz Wrote: The first thing is, they are hideous, stupid and boring. I guess most people who download AC for the first time and connect to a server running one of those maps won't play much more than 2 minutes before deciding that AC is a really ugly crappy stupid game and uninstalling it. And they'll probably tell all their friends it's not even worth looking into. I think AC is losing potential players there.

Really? I could name more than a few players, me included, that started playing in maps which wouldn't pass the restrictions nowadays. For example, famous and skilled ex-players such as Marreira and n0cu began playing in ezjemville, sometimes considered to be hideous or boring.
Guess how many minutes they played ;D
Thanks given by:
Lumpaz: Those "hideous" maps are the reason I'm still here. I don't mean that if they take them away I'll leave (that's pretty preposterous). What I mean is that those kinds of maps were the first I played, and only because of them I would launch AC the next day. I believe these types of maps have a very pivotal part in attracting newcomers. While some of them may stay playing those maps forever, some will become conscious about the other map/mode alternatives (like many here and I have done) and try something new.

I agree that some of these "noob" maps can look pretty terrible to anyone's eyes, and maybe you don't like the gameplay involved in those maps (I still do for some, while some I can't stand). I think the maprotation restrictions should remain where they are, I don't mind the possible future changes about the re-enforcement of the the height of the map; however, I still believe these maps should persist in being in the game.

Of course still having the restrictions and making sure players don't make another Headshot City (regardless about that map being extremely fun :D) to make sure every, if not most, computers able to play maps without the occurrence of map-lag or some rise of their QWD.
Thanks given by:
^

True about many players, including myself.
Thanks given by:
I was fully aware, when I first connected in multiplayer, that the map was a user-made map, so my expectation for quality was fairly low. I tried it out (headshot city), decided I didn't like it, and tried to find other, better maps. The fact that my first multiplayer experience was on a map I didn't like did not make me consider abandoning the game.
Thanks given by:
(28 Jun 11, 10:10PM)V-Man Wrote: I I tried it out (headshot city), decided I didn't like it, a

* Cemer faints upon hearing V-Man hates Cemer's home
Thanks given by:
Mostly because you don't clean up after yourself. I kept tripping on dirty socks and empty pizza boxes. I can't shack up with a messy guy like you!
Thanks given by:
But you're married! And Cemer's a guy! :O
Thanks given by: