Beta-Test Phase
We need to get some heavy-duty testing going with our current state of development.
The new weapon-balance and -code has to be observed under near-to realistic conditions - meaning more than two to four developers only ;-)

* Mac Installer [MD5: ff22e00b5fe9524395d1ec4699d3c117] - 51 MB
* Windows ZIP [MD5: db7755b22b42a336074e5e2f59f53d0d] - 50.21 MB
* Linux Binaries in tar.bz2 [MD5: d0b11c167666423de83e7299a797822c] - 1.89 MB

For Mac there's the usual full-installer, for Windows & Linux just get the ZIP, unpack it and play from there (don't overwrite an old installation or anything!). If you can't manage to make the linux binaries executable from the ZIP (hint: chmod +x) there's also a tar.bz2 of just the linux binaries, which is better than the ZIP for you, since it keeps the executable bit intact - so just get that too and overwrite the files from the ZIP with it.
There are a number of SVN servers already running, so you can test-play when you like, but also feel free to test out hosting your own servers with the binaries provided.

The weekend will be the time I guess most testing will occur, it will also be the end of the beta-testing phase (unless it needs to be extended). After that we will continue with some more minor adjustments - assuming no bug-fixing is required (haha, as if) - and should then be ready to release in the near future.

Please leave your comments to this beta-test here; especially bug-reports should try to contain as much information as possible so we can reproduce the bug, find the cause and fix it. Thank you, in advance, to all who help contribute to improve the game for all players!
Thanks given by:
All stop whine and go play.
Thanks given by:
Finally a mac version to test 1.1.0.5! Cheers!
Thanks given by:
It's good that you go this way of distribution. But I thought more balance changes would be implemented before doing this.
Thanks given by:
In terms of balance, I think the shotgun needs to be beefed up a little bit, and SMG has a noticeable difference.
Thanks given by:
Is there a Windows version for testing ?
Thanks given by:
not yet Killight
Quote:"Shortly this post will contain (more) links to filesharing hosts...that can be used by both Windows players and those on linux" -Flowtron

betas are allways sweet!

how would you go about releasing a version where you dont have to uninstall the old one then reinstal the new one?
Thanks given by:
Great!
Thanks given by:
Okay, we've just updated the linux binaries and provided the appropriate packages - get the links from the #1-Post. Hopefully this all works smoothly for you brave & anxious beta-testers - your efforts are greatly appreciated by the dev-team and your feedback and it's impact on the next release will surely get you honoured by those that waited. (in theory)
Thanks given by:
Can't say much cause no other players have been online.

Three things:
a)
The following bug which has been reported multiple times is still unfixed:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=det...tid=697089

b)
Gamma settings aren't re-executed when switching from window to full screen mode. Also already saved gamma setting (eg 190) aren't executed on the game start. You have always to use /gamma NN to solve this.

c)
On my resolution (1280x1024) the blue and red flag icons at the bottom are overlapping the info about the nr of grenades (happens also in 1.1.0.4)
Thanks given by:
If I just update to the latest SVN version, will that be the same?
Thanks given by:
For now yes, bloodsport.
Thanks given by:
One more:

d) sound settings
When you set the slider to "voice com off" this setting won't be saved. On the next start it's on again.
Thanks given by:
I noticed that sniper bullet trails are still continuing through people. I heard something about this earlier, is it meant to be like that?
Thanks given by:
(08 Feb 11, 01:24AM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: Finally a mac version to test 1.1.0.5! Cheers!

Thanks given by:
Can't get it working .-.'
Thanks given by:
Apollo: The a)-bug was assigned to RK, but it's a source-issue - I've fixed it, but it won't be committed until after the CodeFreeze has been lifted (read: next week). The b)-bug doesn't occur for me, it works fine toggling fullscreen and keeping gamma, even across restarts of the engine - the code is in place too, do you maybe get any SDL-error-output? The c)-bug is a pain, I know, I've been contemplating a relief for it - but it'll have to wait a while - ATM it's recommended to play at 4:3 resolutions, sorry. The d)-bug was just an oversight (I bet) - I've made the pertinent variable persistent - so that's fixed too (next week).

Lantry: basically yes, it's the way it's been since forever - but I guess, since it's most probably an easy fix I can get onto making the trail shorter.

CyberKlown28: too bad; just like you not giving any hint as to what is the problem.
Thanks given by:
I couldn't really test the current state, but though I'd like to ask wether the "empty clip sound" - bug is fixed with the new issue? It's pretty much like it used to be with the health pickup-sound, which was audible to all players (edit: at full volume).
Thanks given by:
(09 Feb 11, 04:33AM)Lantry Wrote: I noticed that sniper bullet trails are still continuing through people.

Does it continue to do damage once its hit someone? Halo style?
Thanks given by:
@flowtron: no SDL-error message :|
Thanks given by:
(09 Feb 11, 12:39PM)MykeGregory Wrote: Does it continue to do damage once its hit someone? Halo style?

I dont think so, but i haven't really tested that.
Thanks given by:
My comment on the weapons:
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-2074-post...l#pid36758

Is there anything else we should look over?
Is there a changelist somewhere?
Thanks given by:
Testing....
Thanks given by:
Testing² ...
Thanks given by:
Hmm...personally, I'm fine with all the weapons. Except for the shotgun and the sniper + pistol combo.

1. I feel that the shotgun has lost its power, and like what RR said, it needs to be beefed up a bit.

2. Sniper + pistol combo = 1 shot with sniper, then 1 shot with pistol on an unarmoured opponent. Isn't that a bit overpowering?
Thanks given by:
(10 Feb 11, 10:33AM)Fate Wrote: Hmm...personally, I'm fine with all the weapons. Except for the shotgun and the sniper + pistol combo.

1. I feel that the shotgun has lost its power, and like what RR said, it needs to be beefed up a bit.
Yep. You're going to get slaughtered with the shotgun out there.

Quote:2. Sniper + pistol combo = 1 shot with sniper, then 1 shot with pistol on an unarmoured opponent. Isn't that a bit overpowering?
Nope...
Thanks given by:
just fine that Sniper + pistol Combo.
Thanks given by:
Shotgun is weaker... What made it strong before was the damage it inflicted and the possibility of instant kill at close range.
Maybe you could compensate for the "weakening" by reducing the lag between two consecutive shots. That would be great. Now if you just injure someone or miss him with your first shot, you have to dance around stupidly waiting for the possibility to fire your next shot, while your opponent has ample time to mow you down. I'd love a faster shotgun.
Thanks given by:
(10 Feb 11, 11:21AM)Syntax Wrote:
Quote:2. Sniper + pistol combo = 1 shot with sniper, then 1 shot with pistol on an unarmoured opponent. Isn't that a bit overpowering?
Nope...

I personally think it is, the sniper pistol combo is perfect atm and I think other experienced players agree with me there.

Thanks given by:
I had a quick chat with Robtics, to clear up whether he meant perfect ATM, in 1.1.0.4, or perfect ATM, in the beta release. He confirmed what I thought - perfect in the current release and overpowered in beta.
We also agreed that this overpowered-ness would only apply in pub games where armour becomes more sparse. In matches players should be armouring up, controlling armour, and using better tactics to avoid dying so quickly. This leaves the dire situation of crowded pubs having good sniper players dominating, just as in 1.0.4. A possible solution would be to decrease the spawn time for armour as player numbers increase, just as with health, ammo and nades.
Thanks given by: