[split] Map discussion
Mod edit: split from weapon balance thread.

Hi all, this is not associated with balance in any way, though I had found no where else to post this for the devs to see it.

These are the maps I think should be placed in 1.1.0.5

- ac_swamp by |oNe|.ExodusS* and Undead|oNe| <-- CTF or TDM
- ac_origin by DaylixX <-- A nice map for CTF
- ac_terros by DaylixX and Sanzo'' <-- Really strategic map
- ac_dusk by A&D_Shadow <-- This should have been in AC a long time ago.
- ac_venganza by jiba <-- A nice map like ac_arabian
- ac_casa by $N!P3R* <-- Nice map for CTF (found this map today)
- ac_casa2 by $N!P3R* <-- Best for TOSOK
- ac_edifice by DES|Bukz and optus <-- CTF or TDM
- ac_derb by $N!P3R* <-- Another good TOSOK map
- ac_wadi by Bloodsport <-- DM or TOSOK
- ac_mojave2 by Andrez <-- A real quality map in either CTF or TDM; I guess

Suggested by Forum Users

- ac_avenue DES|jiba <-- CTF
- ac_yard by jiba <-- CTF
- ac_komplex by oblivion <-- TDM/CTF
- ac_metl3 by DES|Halo <-- DM/OSOK
- ac_dust2 by Unknown <-- CTF
- ac_roofs by |BC|$N!P3R* <-- Really fun map overall
- ac_oasis by RuThLe$$ <-- TDM
- ac_debris by DES|Halo <-- TOSOK or TDM
- ac_wasteland by DES|Halo and DES|R4zor <-- TOSOK
- ac_fabrik by Mr.Floppy <-- Really nice large map for CTF or TOSOK
- ac_ruinas by fetus & jiba <-- OSOK or CTF
- ac_sylang by ExodusS" *Hybr!d." & $p@k0 <-- CTF or TDM

Please consider putting these maps into 1.1.0.5
Thanks given by: mhsaleh
(26 Jan 11, 02:59PM)SnowOak Wrote: Hi all, this is not associated with balance in any way, though I had found no where else to post this for the devs to see it.

These are the maps I think should be placed in 1.1.0.5

- ac_swamp by |oNe|.ExodusS* and Undead|oNe| <-- CTF or TDM
- ac_origin by DaylixX - A nice map for CTF
- ac_terros by DaylixX and Sanzo'' <-- Really strategic map
- ac_dusk by A&D_Shadow <-- This should have been in AC a long time ago.
- ac_venganza by jiba <-- A nice map like ac_arabian
- ac_casa2 by $N!P3R* <-- Best for TOSOK
- ac_edifice by DES|Bukz and optus <-- CTF or TDM
- ac_derb by $N!P3R* <-- Another good TOSOK map

Please consider putting these maps into 1.1.0.5

F1 F1 , really good maps

Thanks given by:
For a great suggestion like that, I will allow everyone to make posts that say only +1
Thanks given by:
vengaza, swamp and dusk should go in. I say rattrap, kellar and stellar go out :D
Thanks given by:
ac_vengaza and ac_swamp certainly get my F1.

On the other hand, if we're voting on maps, I would suggest ac_rattrap, ac_keller and ac_snow were removed and ac_desert3 and ac_aqueous were balanced a bit more (CLA is advantageous in both of them).
Thanks given by:
I love to see more ac_oasis being played.
In CTF.
Thanks given by:
I have to say ac_cairn, if you have the textures and map models is a pretty map. the atmosphere of it is dif than any other map in AC. implementing, map model and texture themes such as this, and other themes lets say medieval, or idk aztec or jungle, would be great addition to ac. we have city and desert themes, adding more types of themes would be great.
Thanks given by:
If you want to include a good map by BC Sniper make it ac_roofs or ac_zanka (both votable, for example, on de.myys.tk 20040) - he doesn't regard derb as one of his better maps.

Btw. thanks Gibstick for splitting the thread on my request.
Thanks given by:
(26 Jan 11, 08:59PM)Panda Wrote: If you want to include a good map by BC Sniper make it ac_roofs or ac_zanka (both votable, for example, on de.myys.tk 20040) - he doesn't regard derb as one of his better maps.

Btw. thanks Gibstick for splitting the thread on my request.

i love derb, its a great small tosok map. and i like the maps you said above also.
Thanks given by:
i havent played most of these! but more maps FTW!
Thanks given by:
I would like to see ac_avenue2 made official.
Thanks given by:
What's the problem with ac_keller, actually? I find it quite balanced.
Thanks given by:
What about dust?
Thanks given by:
Are you trying to start a flamewar or just unaware of the past?
(Of course, the above only applies if by "dust" you mean the various bad copies of a bad CS map with the same name)
Thanks given by:
i don't have a problem with any of the maps that are currently in/played, except for arabian. As a whole though, i would rather have no maps taken out. if you don't like a servers rotation, you can vote a new map, or play on another server.
Thanks given by:
I just remembered... What the FRAG happened to AC_Wasteland?!

EDIT: and why do all the maps have AC_ before them?
Thanks given by:
(26 Jan 11, 10:03PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: I would like to see ac_avenue2 made official.
This has been called ac_yard since its 1.1 make-over.
ac_avenue, ac_ore, apollo_desertcity, ac_hq, ac_victorian, ac_rubble...
Thanks given by:
All of those and many more should be thrown into 1.1.0.5 :D
Thanks given by:
(26 Jan 11, 09:32PM)Joe Smith Wrote: i love derb, its a great small tosok map. and i like the maps you said above also.

I didn't say derb was bad. But it's not very good in ctf above 3:3 and the map maker said he likes his other maps better.
Thanks given by:
I agree with Panda
Thanks given by:
Theres really no reason to be taking any maps out, the more there are the better variety and more choices people will have. Nobody is forcing you to play on maps you don't like if you don't want to. (e.g. disconnect ;)

ac_debris - Simple, yet chaotic, fun DM. Always loved the gameplay here.
ac_avenue - Beautiful map that is often overlooked. Any flag/team modes.
ac_venganza - Same as above.
apollo_arabicnight - Same as above.
Thanks given by:
(27 Jan 11, 12:13AM)Bukz Wrote: Theres really no reason to be taking any maps out, the more there are the better variety and more choices people will have. Nobody is forcing you to play on maps you don't like if you don't want to. (e.g. disconnect ;)

But yet in a clan match, many maps are unfair (ac_desert3, ac_rattrap and ac_aqueous for examples) and practically teams can't be expected to know 50 maps. Since most leagues also run a map rotation of official maps it would damage the game's competitive side having unsuitable maps.

With regard to ac_keller, I just think the map is nothing special. Two of the ways to push into CA are very small while RVSF is harder to defend. Most of all, I don't see people playing it often in pubs or clan matches.
Thanks given by:
What may seem unsuitable for competitive play to you, may be even more exciting, strategic play to others. Not every map is going to please every person, if you don't like the map you don't HAVE to play on it. More official maps will never hurt AC's competitive side, IMHO.
Thanks given by:
Hey this is cool, I haven't seen some of the maps being suggested.
ac_zanka is a pretty good map, although I think there are too many obstacles.
I think more map themes would be great.
Thanks given by:
ac_sylang?

Also Wasteland plz.
Thanks given by:
(27 Jan 11, 12:55AM)Bukz Wrote: What may seem unsuitable for competitive play to you, may be even more exciting, strategic play to others.

Basically, at the extreme side of things imagine a map where one team spawns in a small hole and the other spawns above with lots of grenade pickups. The team below cannot move. If I play a match against another team I can always pick that map as one side and win.

ac_aqueous is such a map although not so exceptionally biased. It's still biased enough that it's a sure win for us to pick it -- and not because we're good at the map. This takes away from competitive play quite obviously. Biased maps are worse than no map at all!

(27 Jan 11, 12:55AM)Bukz Wrote: Not every map is going to please every person, if you don't like the map you don't HAVE to play on it. More official maps will never hurt AC's competitive side, IMHO.

Practically, if maps are official then sometimes you will have to in leagues or clan matches.
Thanks given by:
ac_yard? rly?? Didn't realize that.

People who dislike ac_keller usually dislike it because they haven't learned it well enough to win on. That there is a fun map!
Thanks given by:
Agree with the V-man, have Any of You play in ac_egypt ?? ( something like that)
Thanks given by:
If a map is generally accepted, by competitive players, to be biased, why not just play 2 games on it?
Also, just because a map is released with AssaultCube, does that really mean it has to be played in clan matches/tournaments? Why not get one or more experienced, high quality players to judge the even maps and mark those as 'suitable for unbiased match-play' in the documentation?
Thanks given by:
ac_egypt is what convinced me that mapping can be an elegant art form.
Thanks given by: