[guide] Map Design
Actually, I've been working on this guide for quite a while already. However, the latest discussions on map quality and stuff like that somehow encouraged me to finish it as fast as possible.

I hope this will finally clear up my personal position regarding AssaultCube maps and furthermore help to understand that working within given bounderies shouldn't be confused with cutting off creativity...

This article is mainly focusing on how to find ideas, transforming those into a map layout and at the same time regard given limits and rules in order to produce an original, outstanding and consistent piece of work.

Besides that it may serve as a guide for mappers who may not be sure what actually makes a decent map.

Feel free to notify me about typos/plain mistakes or misleading phrases and of course any kind of feedback is welcome!

You'll find the article at AKIMBO: Map Design
Thanks given by:
Wow!
Really complete article... I saw it has a lot of interesting topics!

Congrats, MrFloppy.
Thanks given by:
OMG awesome!

PS: may I translate it for other purposes? Of course, credits will be added :D
Thanks given by:
Very complete guide! Maybe some references to this guide could be added to the wiki as well!
Thanks given by:
Thanks!

It would be awsome if this would be translated into different languages, so feel free to do so. I should make a german version myself... ;) However, there's no need to credit me personally, but it would be kind if you added the original location (url leading to AKIMBO) if you're going to publish it somewhere else in case there will be additions/fixes and stuff like that.
Thanks given by:
Jesus its a thing of beauty, i've been looking to get into map making as it can be a nice brake from the fast paced world of AC.
GJ!
Thanks given by:
(02 Jul 10, 12:32AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: Thanks!

It would be awsome if this would be translated into different languages, so feel free to do so. I should make a german version myself... ;) However, there's no need to credit me personally, but it would be kind if you added the original location (url leading to AKIMBO) if you're going to publish it somewhere else in case there will be additions/fixes and stuff like that.
I think credits to you are a MUST :)
It's a long, detailed, and awesome work, so... I'll let you know when I'll finish and publish it if you want :)
Thanks given by:
Should make a direct link on the main page to the thread. Perhaps under "content"
Thanks given by:
Awesome!
Ladies and gentlemen, Mr.Floppy has spoken.
Thanks given by:
Whaouh, good job !
Thanks given by:
when I think I learned everything by feel ...
Why so late :P
nice work !

for french mapper look this one => French mapping tutorial

Good mapping
Thanks given by:
AWWW wish it was shorter :D
Thanks given by:
Hi Mr.Floppy , i have a problem with map edition in the version 1.0.4 idk why, i made the map and the WQD max. 800, but i can't to play with the map in the server i'm from Brazil , my english is not good "sorry", i like create maps, but i can't to play, help me please my e-mail [email protected]

Thank you
Thanks given by:
does anyone know why i'm getting the "map isn't playable in multiplayer mode...certain quality requisites aren't being met". Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks given by:
1) The map has one or more big open areas (this is printed in the server logs via MA value)
2) The map has a high mean ceiling value (twin towers like; this is printed in the server logs via A value)
3) The map has pick ups too close to each other (it is printed the item and the x,y position of it... use "/go_to x y" command to find the item
4) The flags are too close to each other
Thanks given by:
(11 Oct 10, 05:10AM)Brahma Wrote: 1) The map has one or more big open areas (this is printed in the server logs via MA value)
2) The map has a high mean ceiling value (twin towers like; this is printed in the server logs via A value)
3) The map has pick ups too close to each other (it is printed the item and the x,y position of it... use "/go_to x y" command to find the item
4) The flags are too close to each other

Cause mappers aren't usually not run a server for making their maps it would be a better solution if there is possibility to check the map offline whether all requirements are fullfilled or not. (Already suggested for a while or so)
Thanks given by:
I'll translate Floppy's guide in French. :)
(With credits of courses.)
Thanks given by:
Much appreciated! Thank you Exoduss!
Thanks given by: