[TUTORIAL] SVN on Linux
Hi guys and girls,

[TUTORIAL] SVN on Windows
[TUTORIAL] SVN on Linux
[TUTORIAL] SVN on Mac

What is SVN?
Subversion (SVN) is a so called versioning system (other examples: Git, CVS) which allows multiple developers easily commit their code. This way they can work at the same time on the same code without destroing the work of a different developer.

Why should I download AssaultCube via SVN?
This way you can test the current development version of AssaultCube. At the moment the developers work hard for the release of 1.1.0. Help them testing it! Using SVN instead of a simple HTTP method allows you to simply download the updates. This way you don´t have to download the whole stuff every time.

What do I need for SVN and testing the client?
For SVN itself you need a SVN client. For Linux there are many out there. You could use a command line version (you can find some for your distrobution here: subversion.apache.org; or just download one from your repositories, here shown on Synaptics: Image) or a client with a graphical user interface (GUI). As some Linux users prefer the last method I will also show how to use a GUI client. For my examples I´m using KDESvn as for its good integration in Konqueror. You maybe just want to use a different, as nearly every client works the same it should be a real problem to do so. Also AssaultCube needs stuff like OpenAL and Simple DirectMedia Layer. If you already have AssaultCube 1.0.x you will not have to mess with it. Otherwise, download the stuff from your repositiories.

The tutorial:

GUI - KDESvn:
First thing you have to do is a so called checkout. Create an empty dir (best: a directory you have owner rights). Right click and do a checkout like in the picture shown above:
[Image: snapshot2n.jpg]

Now you have to tell KDESvn where to get the sources of AssaultCube. The correct URL is:
Quote:svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/actiongame/code/trunk/ac/
The form looks like this:
[Image: snapshot3f.jpg]

A window shows you the current progress of the checkout. If you can see this you´re done:
[Image: snapshot4o.jpg]

Congratulations! You now can play the latest version of AssaultCube. But well, as there are many contributions to the source every day you won´t have the newest version for a long time. To ensure you play the latest version you have to update it manually before starting the game. To do this again a right click (ensure that you are in the directory you did the checkout before) and this time a SVN update:
[Image: snapshot5rd.jpg]

A successful update looks like this:
[Image: snapshot6h.jpg]

Command line - svn:
Again, like in the GUI part of the tutorial, create an empty dir and do checkout. The correct command is:
svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/actiongame/code/trunk/ac/
[Image: snapshot7f.jpg]

If you´re finished it will look like this:
[Image: snapshot8v.jpg]

Same as for the GUI client you have to ensure using the latest sources of AssaultCube before playing. To do this type:
svn up
[Image: snapshot9k.jpg]

A successful update looks like this:
[Image: snapshot10wl.jpg]

To start playing execute "assaultcube.sh". Have fun testing it ;-)

For further questions and additions just reply to this thread.

Best regards,
ärkefiende
Thanks given by:
Thanks ärke! I love you!

For those using Kubuntu you can get KDEsvn from KPackageKit. To find it type kdesvn (no spaces no caps) into the search bar.
Thanks given by:
RapidSVN also works well
Thanks given by:
Also, if you end up having a mixed up HUD/maps/weapons in the SVN version, you can fix this by recompiling from a terminal yourself and installing all dependancies.
Thanks given by:
KDE is um nasty. (Hurray for LXDE!)
Thanks given by:
I love KDE for desktop PCs. But for mobile devices and small rescue live linuxes XFCE and LXDE can be fine ;)
Thanks given by:
UPDATE: I changed the URL as our SVN Repo moved.

The pictures still show the old value!
Thanks given by: