Poll: Include Hax-Jump in AC?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, as they are
15.91%
7 15.91%
Yes, with changes in favor of fair play
47.73%
21 47.73%
No
36.36%
16 36.36%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Leave or remove double-jump?
2 out of 3 options are to fix the bug, what do you not understand
Thanks given by:
(12 Oct 16, 01:00PM)Marti Wrote: 2 out of 3 options are to fix the bug, what do you not understand

No, two out of three are to leave the "bug". Even though I don't even like calling it a bug. I would rather refer to it as a "pleasant coding mishap". One of those two choices is to simply alter it slightly to make it more accessible. As I mentioned, the second option is to make the time between key presses slightly longer so that it's somewhat easier to master. Everyone can do an edge jump or a rifle jump with practice. This option is to make it possible to do with enough practice. New players don't master edge jumps or rifle jumps for quite some time. This would be another skill that they can learn to master along with the others.

As far as leaving the 1.2 MS I don't personally feel like that's a solution. It was tried before. I remember the master server for (1.04 I think?) being open with a newer version of AC before and eventually everyone migrated over to the new version anyway. I feel like the new version should include all possible improvements, and that's what this is. Leaving the 1.2 MS is just making us choose between one "buggy" version of AC and the "new and improved" version of AC, which imho would segregate the community and the game, and lead to the demise of the old version, where we would lose this fun and new dimension of AC altogether.

I'm asking that the "bug" not be fixed, but altered. So I voted for the second option.
Thanks given by:
(11 Oct 16, 09:25PM)|HP| Wrote:
(11 Oct 16, 07:16PM)gy_be Wrote:
(11 Oct 16, 06:46PM)|HP| Wrote: https://github.com/assaultcube/AC/pull/88

Glancing at that PR it simply prohibits using jump and crouch in the same sequence of semicolon separated commands, right? Seems easy to work around (e.g. using execute or for loop with one iteration).

Within ac? I dont think so.

Yes, within AC. `/bind lshift [execute "crouch"; execute "jump"]` is equivalent to `/bind lshift [crouch; jump]` and isn't caught by the check in the PR.
Thanks given by:
(12 Oct 16, 07:48PM)gy_be Wrote: ....

Oh?! right!
Mash probably didnt consider the execute...
its still easy to fix.
Thanks given by:
'yes "with changes" '
changes means fixing parts of the original bug
so 2 out of 3 are to fix the bug, maybe not completely, but still

anyway it is removed in 1.3(?), people also were mad AR was nerfed, people went on with their lives and now we are here. people always have to complain about something new, i think adapting to changes in the game is the fun part and shows who are the real skilled players
Thanks given by:
What puts this feature into the "bug" category (instead of "unintentional feature") is the fact, that the "feature" itself is not stable. The haxjump feature depends on several conditions of the client, mostly the speed of the internal loop, or "fps". Every player has a different experience with the bug, which is why some can use it fine and others only once in ten attempts.

This means that there is nothing to "keep". There is no "feature", just a bug that can be exploited under some conditions. Which was fixed.
Thanks given by: 1Cap
(13 Oct 16, 01:21PM)Marti Wrote: 'yes "with changes" '
changes means fixing parts of the original bug
so 2 out of 3 are to fix the bug, maybe not completely, but still

anyway it is removed in 1.3(?), people also were mad AR was nerfed, people went on with their lives and now we are here. people always have to complain about something new, i think adapting to changes in the game is the fun part and shows who are the real skilled players

i agree, we should adapt and use the haxjump and bind, not complain and remove it. thats what you mean, right?
Thanks given by:
(13 Oct 16, 01:42PM)stef Wrote: What puts this feature into the "bug" category (instead of "unintentional feature") is the fact, that the "feature" itself is not stable. The haxjump feature depends on several conditions of the client, mostly the speed of the internal loop, or "fps". Every player has a different experience with the bug, which is why some can use it fine and others only once in ten attempts.

This means that there is nothing to "keep". There is no "feature", just a bug that can be exploited under some conditions. Which was fixed.

I am specifically talking about the slow and original version of it (3xJumpCrouch)
which is based on "catching the rhythm".

From my experience, every person who knows how to do it like this has been successful almost 100% of the time and only time when they fail is when losing focus or their fingers getting tired (in gema).

You are probably talking about the "instant" one (pressing keys at "same" time) that works like the bind, just without actually binding.
To be fair i dont have a solution(code) for this problem but i wanted to clarify it.

Haxbind and the Fakebind are not what we initially called "Haxjump".
Thanks given by: 1Cap , +f0r3v3r+ , Z3R0
(13 Oct 16, 02:37PM)Viper Wrote: i agree, we should adapt and use the haxjump and bind, not complain and remove it. thats what you mean, right?

no i meant you are a salty noob
Thanks given by:
Ladies ladies I understand the desire for authenticity. It's why I play this wench of a game in the first place. Remember binds and the ability to do cool stuff is what makes it great. That'll do shimmy. That'll do.
Thanks given by:
Even if it wasn't a mere bug in the first place, I wouldn't want to have this as a feature.

The possibility to jump that high breaks a whole lot of maps to begin with, e.g. exiting the RVSF-base on desert3 across the lockers. Makes it a game-braking exploit and a real downer at the moment, for me anyway.

Besides that, this ain't Quake and I can't see why such a random gameplay alteration will add 'skill' to the game. The whole 'skill' argument is pretty subjective anyway and 'accessibility' might even be the better design approach in regards of getting in new players. Can't help the impression some try getting jump-pads through the back door.

Actually, the more 'realistic' approach to movement is what brought me here from a brief episode of messing around with Sauerbraten. The base-gameplay is just fine and could stay like that forever, for all I care. However, client and server used to be way more stable in the past. Fixing those, is what I'm concered about most at the moment.
Thanks given by: 1Cap , Kayan
Vote no!
Thanks given by: