AssaultCube 1.2.0.0 Beta release
(12 Dec 12, 07:28AM)888 Wrote: If you want to be fair ,you should penalise the sniper in shortrange (lol)

Adding to that point, I know in some other FPS games the spread for a no-scope sniper shot is crazy. But imo I'm fine with how things are.

Yes, I understand the game-balance purposes of carbine ignoring some armour sniper doesn't.. but thanks Nightmare fore the IRL/reality explanation ;D

Quick question: In the old version, having a not-constant/changing FPS would mean bullet drops due to hitreg on non fixed servers.

If hitreg is apparently all fixed, may I safely have a fluctuating FPS in this new version, without handicapping my game play?

I used to make a big point on decreasing my graphics and setting a cap in the old version. It would be nice if I didn't have to anymore...
Thanks given by:
All servers are fixed
Thanks given by:
I'd recommend always to set a maxfps to save your CPU/graphic card from unnecessary workload. Even if it actually can handle 1000 fps, why stress it while everything looks/behaves the same at 60 fps. Just my opinion.
Thanks given by:
everything certainly does not look the same at 60 or with vsync. At least not for me. There is significant screen chop and in every game I've played more FPS looks and feels better.

That being said, I'd still cap it at the highest low fps you get, especially at lower ranges for consistency.
Thanks given by:
akimbo is OP :p 20 bullets ftw <3
Double frag with akimbo is now easier and noobs will be able to be pro with it. People will whore it. Not sure its is good forcm but I will keep using is as a primary lol
Thanks given by:
Ok i've found a fairly annoying issue for server logs.

I'm assuming it's something to do with the new kill messages. Whenever somebody is killed with any of the frag messages everything works well but if it's the gib messages then i'm having issues.

An example is here: http://pastebin.com/6jafA9VK

First off when unarmed headshots andy it appears as k_sniper(my sniper message). When the player gets knifed or naded it just has "the_andyman unarmed" so doesn't place anything there. I'll try and look at the source tomorrow to see what it's doing but thought i'd let you guys know.

Also the line: "message repeated X times" does that mean it's the exact same line as above? So if unarmed AR kills unarmed(1) 3 times in a row?
Thanks given by:
(12 Dec 12, 02:41PM)Edward Wrote: akimbo is OP
I agree with Edward, the akimbo is significantly stronger (it was also strong in the last release). It will be interesting to see how it changes the gameplay in competitive mathces
Thanks given by:
Ok lads i've fixed the logging error.

To fix it so kill messages are properly recorded on the server you need to edit server.cpp, line 1495

The line currently reads:
if(!suic) logline(ACLOG_INFO, "[%s] %s %s%s %s", actor->hostname, actor->name, killmessage(gun), tk ? " their teammate" : "", target->name);

It should read:
if(!suic) logline(ACLOG_INFO, "[%s] %s %s%s %s", actor->hostname, actor->name, killmessage(gun, gib), tk ? " their teammate" : "", target->name);

The issue was killmessage(gun) is not sending the boolean letting the function know it needs to return the gib message.

Hope this gets patched, otherwise logs will look a bit funny :P
Thanks given by:
That indeed looks like someone hadn't finished typing and left it in there for some reason.
Thanks given by:
(12 Dec 12, 02:58PM)castiel Wrote: Also the line: "message repeated X times" does that mean it's the exact same line as above? So if unarmed AR kills unarmed(1) 3 times in a row?
I was under the impression this was a syslog feature, not anything to do with AC.
Thanks given by:
Was my fault. It is fixed now. Thanks
Thanks given by:
The akimbo is a bonus who appear each minutes .
Its normal this weapon are strong ...
Thanks given by:
(12 Dec 12, 12:24PM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: I'd recommend always to set a maxfps to save your CPU/graphic card from unnecessary workload. Even if it actually can handle 1000 fps, why stress it while everything looks/behaves the same at 60 fps. Just my opinion.

i even feel the difference from 500 to 900, i just shoot bullets faster. no joke, im totally serious
Thanks given by:
(12 Dec 12, 04:45PM)jamz Wrote:
(12 Dec 12, 02:58PM)castiel Wrote: Also the line: "message repeated X times" does that mean it's the exact same line as above? So if unarmed AR kills unarmed(1) 3 times in a row?
I was under the impression this was a syslog feature, not anything to do with AC.

Ah right, thanks :)
Thanks given by:
whois yourself returns 0.0.0.x
Is there any chance to add Team changes to the log?
Thanks given by:
I cap my fps at 50 when i play on my laptop, it's fine in most maps but on some of the new ones like ac_industrial, it drops to 20 and it's just unplayable. For a game that is supposed to run on old machines this is a bad adition imo.
Thanks given by:
When can we expect usage of "nice_medals.png"?
Was hoping they would in this version...
Thanks given by:
So, i played some inter/matches during the last days. Here is my opinion on the actual weapon balance.

SMG and AR.
AR is getting nerf, and that was needed, the current (1.2) AR seems fine, you can burst an ennemey really quickly if you are aiming properly but you need to be more carefull because it's not overpowered anymore.
SMG is strong, really strong, top SMGs will be the best players on 1.2 if it stays like this. You can kill so quickly if you don't miss any bullets (short-mid ranges). You can't kill a good SMG with the current sniper/shotgun, AR is probably the safest weapon to go against a pro SMG.

Carabine.
This may look weird, but at the moment carabine is really strong if you know how to use it, the fact that it pierce armour is incredibly usefull since all new maps have tons of kevlar on it. If nothing change before the official release i'd prefer to play carabine than sniper.

Shotgun.
Useless. Even at close ranges, you can kill your ennemy sometimes for sure, but you won't win any clan matches with this weapon. I really don't know how you can get this one back into the competitive scene.

Sniper.
Sniper is not good, well the weapon is good but the current over nine thousand kevlar meta make it suffer so much. You just can't kill an enemy that have kevlar (whatever weapon he is using exept shotgun). As i said in a previous post, 1 Sniper bullet on a 100/100 ennemy deals 48 damages.. This is ridiculous. The magic combo 1 snipe bullet 1 quick knife doesn't even kill a 100/100 opponent.
How are we (snipers) supposed to play (on a competitive scene) with this. This really need to be change. Nerfing other weapons seems impossible to me since it would change everything, the only viable option is to up the sniper.

Thanks for reading, sorry once more for my poor english.

All those comments came from my personnal opinion, i play since a long time now (0.93 - today ), i have won many tournaments, played a tons of matches and some at the top level (last world cup final for example)

Any feedback appreciated :)

Sanzo
Thanks given by:
That would explain why I've been having trouble with the sniper...
Thanks given by:
(12 Dec 12, 11:25PM)Sanzo Wrote: Shotgun.
Useless. Even at close ranges, you can kill your ennemy sometimes for sure, but you won't win any clan matches with this weapon. I really don't know how you can get this one back into the competitive scene.

In you're opinion and anyone elses for that matter, what should be changed about the shotgun?
Thanks given by:
(12 Dec 12, 11:25PM)Sanzo Wrote: So, i played some inter/matches during the last days. Here is my opinion on the actual weapon balance.

SMG and AR.
AR is getting nerf, and that was needed, the current (1.2) AR seems fine, you can burst an ennemey really quickly if you are aiming properly but you need to be more carefull because it's not overpowered anymore.
SMG is strong, really strong, top SMGs will be the best players on 1.2 if it stays like this. You can kill so quickly if you don't miss any bullets (short-mid ranges). You can't kill a good SMG with the current sniper/shotgun, AR is probably the safest weapon to go against a pro SMG.

Carabine.
This may look weird, but at the moment carabine is really strong if you know how to use it, the fact that it pierce armour is incredibly usefull since all new maps have tons of kevlar on it. If nothing change before the official release i'd prefer to play carabine than sniper.

Shotgun.

Sniper.
Sniper is not good, well the weapon is good but the current over nine thousand kevlar meta make it suffer so much. You just can't kill an enemy that have kevlar (whatever weapon he is using exept shotgun). As i said in a previous post, 1 Sniper bullet on a 100/100 ennemy deals 48 damages.. This is ridiculous. The magic combo 1 snipe bullet 1 quick knife doesn't even kill a 100/100 opponent.
How are we (snipers) supposed to play (on a competitive scene) with this. This really need to be change. Nerfing other weapons seems impossible to me since it would change everything, the only viable option is to up the sniper.

Thanks for reading, sorry once more for my poor english.

All those comments came from my personnal opinion, i play since a long time now (0.93 - today ), i have won many tournaments, played a tons of matches and some at the top level (last world cup final for example)

Any feedback appreciated :)

Sanzo

Agree with pretty much everything you've said. The SMG is definetly better for killing than the AR but with the AR having the rifle jump I think they are fairly equal, much more so than 1.0 or 1.1.

I don't play sniper but it would make sense to give the sniper armour piercing, without armour I think the sniper is fine but like you said when somebody is 100-100 it is too hard to kill.
Thanks given by:
(12 Dec 12, 10:27PM)MykeGregory Wrote: When can we expect usage of "nice_medals.png"?
Was hoping they would in this version...

I completely forgot about this - would be an awesome addition. Although as we haven't heard anything about them yet I doubt they'll be in future releases, to be honest.
Thanks given by:
Pic
I changed a few scripte and texture packages wich I used in the current version .. :(
Thanks given by:
The carbine feels much stronger. A decent carbiner can stand a chance vs ARs and SMGs.
Thanks given by:
(12 Dec 12, 02:30PM)Waffles Wrote: everything certainly does not look the same at 60 or with vsync. At least not for me. There is significant screen chop and in every game I've played more FPS looks and feels better.

That being said, I'd still cap it at the highest low fps you get, especially at lower ranges for consistency.

Yes you're right. I kind of forgot about this issue. Used to suffer from this 'tearing' on my older machine, but never experienced it on my current one.

YourSister Wrote:i even feel the difference from 500 to 900, i just shoot bullets faster. no joke, im totally serious

Well, I honestly can't imagine anyone is capable of recognizing a difference there, but on the other hand I'm pretty much as sensitive (some might say anal) like that when it comes to ping myself. Though, I guess you're rather an exception.

I probably shouldn't have set the FPS to 60 in my example, but given there are people that don't even realize FPS drops below 30, I'd say my point still stands for the everyday-normal-guy kind of player, like myself. ;)

Btw, sorry for running offtopic here.
Thanks given by:
YourSister Wrote:i even feel the difference from 500 to 900, i just shoot bullets faster. no joke, im totally serious

I feel also a difference between 500 and 1000 fps, but not that i shoot faster, for me there is something like a distance difference, especially i notice that when throwing a grenade.
Thanks given by:
(13 Dec 12, 12:20AM).45|D3M0NW0LF Wrote: That would explain why I've been having trouble with the sniper...

Me too..
Cant work out why, i'v been told its now easier to use but i dont feel it..
Thanks given by:
How come new version disables shotlines?
I love shotlines <3 (shotline 1 didn't work, same thing happens with SKB's client, one of the reasons why I use GsF| client now).

Thanks,
--ILA
Thanks given by:
I really think the sniper + knife should give a kill, it's insane that it doesn't kill right now. Either raise the sniper's damage or armor piercing, but that combo has to be rewarded. Also 5 pistol shots with 100/100 is impossible to kill against any average player.
Thanks given by:
(13 Dec 12, 10:35PM)MykeGregory Wrote: Me too..
Cant work out why, i'v been told its now easier to use but i dont feel it..

Yeah i was told the very same... I think the "Sniper's easier to use" theory is bullshit for those of us who have grown up with the 1.1.4.0 sniper... If anything they've made it incredibly harder to use... Hell I feel like it's somewhat fixed now... ._. (not fixed like good, fixed as in only a certain amount of shots will hit).

Though I know it's not true, that's just how it feels... xD
Thanks given by: